Louis Vuitton F/W 2014.15 Paris

I worship Ghesquière, he's GOD, but this was a rather bad collection. My biggest fear came true: he made a collection based on the tradition, on the leather, on the past of the brand... Which makes sense, but I didn't want that.

It feels very Ghesquière, but a washed-out version of him. :( There are some cute dresses, it's correct, appropriate for a debut, very well constructed... but I don't sense his fashion genius. I expected more. I want more. I don't want him to be restrained by the legacy since Vuitton doesn't really have a ready-to-wear legacy. And considering he's one of the biggest geniuses ever and the only one working in fashion at the moment, this feels… lacklustre. Plus, the accessories were really ugly. Hope it gets better with time.

Anyway, world is way better now that he’s working in fashion again. :heart:

The casting was great, and the make up was beyond impeccable. It makes me desire the models’ skin way more than the clothes. :lol:

I was also let down by this collection but his real test for me will be his 2nd collection.I also want to see him cut a pair of mean pants like use to in the early mid 2000s. I did not like the high waist leather jeggings at all. The dresses were decent but nothing which wowed me.

Refreshing. It's nice to see a collection that's very "real" in a way... This makes an impact even without all those bulky, boxy shapes, odd flaps and blocking of strong colors that everyone else is doing. And the lack of distinct silhouette is nice... it's more about the silhouette of the human body.

lv-2_1026_520_crop_90.png

purple diary

Seriously....those shoes....
I expected so much more from Nicolas. If the silhouettes would come from a young designer during New York fashion week, people would be less excited about this dull collection... Ghesquière is the master of technical fabrics, modern finishings, avant-garde cuts, strong color associations, amazing shoes... None of his talent was present this morning. Vuitton is about bags, so Nicolas, make great and desirable bags and have fun with clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a nice begining. I'm not impressed with the perfection of the cuts or the silhouetes because those are the ones Ghesquière accustomed us to and with the know-how of Vuitton team that would be nothing more than exceptional. Very wearable clothes with an interesting use of leathers and different types of skins, and with a wise move by introducing the new bag, that I absolutely adore. But, i really was expecting more cause having these two together I wanted butterflies in my stomach and I got was an "Ok, I liked it". Maybe next time.:smile:

I'm probably the only one whose gonna say this and I'm ready to be pounced, but I was really disappointed with the accessories. I only liked 2 bags, the rest reminded me too much of Hermes and Burberry handbags,especially that leather quilted one. The booties were a disappointment, I was expecting more luxurious and edgy shoes.

Great clothes though!

'Palette cleanser' is the perfect term to describe Ghesquière's debut for Vuitton. No gimmicks, just straight forward, beautifully detailed, wearable clothes. Loved how the set totally complimented the straight-forwardness of the collection as well.

I can't even decide what my favourite piece is. The accessories are also out of this world :heart:!

Yup...good first collection that has a lot of great individual pieces with great street credibility!!

Not too crazy with the print...again, I never a fan of it!

By SUZY MENKES - MARCH 5, 2014

PARIS — Tweet the message from Paris to Shanghai: The Louis Vuitton show on Wednesday was a success — for its modernity, its clarity, its decency — and its respect for women.Oh! And its bags. Those front-row few who had already had first dibs were showing off lipstick-red boxes with gilded LV trunk fastenings and three curving, white X kisses.

“Louis Vuitton belongs to everyone — it is that kind of name that has so much language — my vision was of a leather coat and to narrow it down to create a wardrobe,” the label’s new creative director, Nicolas Ghesquière, said of his debut collection.

The designer, 42, was cheered to the rafters of the bare warehouse structure, where the geometry of horizontal stripes across window blinds set the tone — so different from the extravaganzas of escalators or steam trains installed at previous shows by the designer Marc Jacobs. The new collection was a piece of fashion architecture: Drawn firmly on straight lines, each sharp top, maybe with a deep décolletage, or upturned triangle of a skirt, spelled out the letter V.

But was that a V for victory? Mr. Ghesquière did a good job of his first outing, although a lot of it followed his previous style at Balenciaga, with the angular cuts transmuted to the leather that is at Vuitton’s soul. Mr. Ghesquière also introduced some techno fabrics, another of his fashion fetishes. And the color palette that he called LV central — with sky blue, brown and orange — mixed the favorites that the designer has long drawn from his childhood in the 1970s.

“It’s perfection, very him, very Vuitton and very me!” the model Natalia Vodianova said of the collection, while the artist Cindy Sherman said, “It made me want to go shopping.” Desire. That emotion is the holy grail of fashion shows, so it was no wonder that Bernard Arnault, president of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, said it was “formidable,” while Princess Charlene of Monaco rejoiced in the fact that the principality will host the first Ghesquière cruise collection, in May.

The plus points were evident. The look was modern and streamlined, with just a few glancing references to the exotic, travel side of Vuitton in an Indian flower pattern or sweaters with a Nordic decoration. Accessories were also geometric: earrings as metallic circles and boots in beige calf with a fan of black spokes at the ankles. The bags followed similar lines in a crisscross of white-on-black that the designer said was, historically, the interior pattern of LV bags.

The cut was impeccable, with all the proportions from jacket lengths, through raised-waist skirts to skinny pants, justly aligned. And the focus on leather, as soft as butter, was purposeful. What was missing was any pulsating sense of change. And maybe that was right. Mr. Ghesquière did not set out to rock the boat, but rather to turn it in a different direction. All the signs indicate he is heading to the right place, at the right time.

nytimes.com

I've always hated what Marc did at Louis Vuitton and I was a bit disappointed with Ghesquiere's later collections for Balenciaga. This, however, is absolutely fantastic. This is probably just a hint of what's to come in the future.

I thought it was a very good collection. Yeah, it could've used a little more NG ooomph to it. I wouldn't have minded if he kicked it up a few more notches; throw in a grand carousel, working fountain or elevators, and you know I'm here for it and I'll be on time. But I respect that he respected the craft and chose to focus on the clothes instead...*coughChanelcough* - and the fact that you know with a house like LV, he easily could have, to me, shows a very strong level of restraint.

I like that on the superficial glance, it seems rather commercial - in fact, too commercial. But as you look closer and see the details, this is a very carefully crafted and rich collection; rich in materials as well as the thought that went into it. You're not going to find anything close to this at Zara's no matter how they try to copy it. It's a very subtle method that is a complete opposite from, say Alex Wang's past 3 or 4 collections at NG's former stomping ground. I definitely think he's cast enough shade to keep anyone at Balenciaga nice and cool in the coming summer months.

I really like the simplicity and global appeasing feel to the collection with some great chic colors and materials. It is indeed quite wearable -; I think I'll be paying a closer look to Vuitton, which wasn't much the case in the past.

Forum members, seriously need to read the comments about this collection on the LV Facebook page...oh what a world we live in.

Again I love this collection!

^ :lol:

At first I didn't know what to know but after letting the collection sink in.. I like it. I was expecting more but its really a simple, wearable and well made collection. The shoes, leather pieces, the dresses really stood out to me. I liked a few of the bags. I didn't care of the leather leggings. I thought they were a bit unflattering.

style.com gives it an "understated" but powerful debut, they apparently took the words on facebook way too serious

Sometimes I feel like there is this bias against daywear, against clothing that can be worn when you aren't sauntering down a red carpet, being photographed during fashion week or headed to some gala. As though the things people place on their bodies during the majority of the day are somehow less important, less vital than those things worn for special occasions.

I suppose this has to do with proliferation of fast fashion / the general desire for spectacle, or maybe just a general inclination towards eveningwear, but I find the attitude a bit confusing.

What's wrong with a collection full of nice things people (even people who aren't celebrities, insiders, etc.) can wear? Seriously, I think almost anyone would look nice in the vast majority of these clothes.

Sorry to ramble, I'm just really enjoying this collection. I would say that a lot of this adds a touch of luxury to fashion standards. Give me that croc overcoat now!

I'm surprised and a little annoyed, actually, that none of the reviews I've read so far have mentioned anything about the "Copycat" song. That was a pretty loud and clear, very pointed statement - if you ask me. Why is that being ignored? It sends a really strong message to not only his peers than copy him, but fast fashion chain - DO YOUR OWN THING. THIS IS ME. YOU DO YOU.

I like this collection a lot. It's intriguing. I'm curious. I want to know more. I'm maybe a little underwhelmed - but I'm not disappointed. I feel like Nicolas' futurist sensibility is somewhat missing here...even in his more conservative and historical collections at Balenciaga, there was always a touch of fierce futurism (think Spring/Summer 2006, Fall/Winter 2006 or Fall/Winter 2009). I don't see that here and I think the collection feels less punchy because of it. Looking through the detail shots on style.com, though, I love everything. Something missing in the big picture, maybe, but the details are all there and so strong. Gorgeous accessories and textures and textiles.

Don't get me wrong, though. I really do like this collection a lot, and I am so excited to see how this relationship between LV and NG grows! Only good things to come!

At the End, a New Start

Nicolas Ghesquière Debuts Louis Vuitton Collection

By JOHN KOBLIN and MATTHEW SCHNEIERMARCH 5, 2014

PARIS — On Wednesday morning, the last day of Paris Fashion Week, a throng of attendees arrived at the Cour Carrée of the Louvre a half-hour early to wait in line for Nicolas Ghesquière’s debut collection for Louis Vuitton.

For many in the crowd, it was the return of the prodigal son after his sudden and bitter departure from Balenciaga and its parent company, Kering (then called PPR), and a year and a half of wandering in the fashion wilderness.

“It’s a very exciting day,” Anna Wintour, the Vogue editor, said a few minutes before the show. “You can feel the energy in the room.”

The elaborate sets favored by Marc Jacobs, Mr. Ghesquière’s predecessor as artistic director of Louis Vuitton, were nowhere to be found. Instead, Chloë Sevigny, Kate Mara, Catherine Deneuve and Cindy Sherman were faced with plain benches in a steel-sheathed show space. At the soundtrack’s first drumbeat, the metal shutters clicked open, and for the first time since Mr. Jacobs created ready-to-wear for Louis Vuitton in 1997, a new light streamed in.

It was a given that Mr. Ghesquière’s debut would be closely watched by editors, even at the very end of the monthlong collections marathon that had taken them from New York to London to Milan and finally to Paris. Besides bringing Mr. Ghesquière back into the fashion fold, the hiring of the 42-year-old designer was one more gauntlet thrown in the competitive fight between LVMH and Kering, the two dominant names in global fashion.

It also continued to elevate the profile of Delphine Arnault, the executive vice president at Louis Vuitton and the daughter of the LVMH chairman, Bernard Arnault. She is said to have personally recruited Mr. Ghesquière (along with the designers Nicholas Kirkwood and J. W. Anderson) to LVMH, and is increasingly tipped as one of her father’s potential successors.

After the show, which included wearable A-line skirts and cropped sweaters, shiny high-waist pants and Chelsea boots, the crowd was not disappointed. (Neither, apparently, was the Twitter universe; more than 4,000 tweets about the show were posted over a three-hour period on Wednesday morning.)

“It was very him, it was very Nicolas,” said Ms. Sevigny, who favored Balenciaga in Mr. Ghesquière’s early days there. “I was curious with how he was going to fit into the Louis Vuitton world, if he was going to have to bend at all. He didn’t. He kept really true to his voice and infused it with Nicolas.”

As might be expected, Ms. Arnault seemed pleased with what she had just seen.

“He’s a genius,” she said after the show, making her way through a scrum of backstage well-wishers. “So amazing.”

Mr. Ghesquière, perhaps the most respected designer of his generation, had left a conspicuous void in the world of fashion since his abrupt and unceremonious exit from Balenciaga, his home of 15 years, in November 2012. His tenure at the house was unquestionably influential. Tom Ford has said that he “single-handedly resurrected” Balenciaga, and entire blogs sprang up to slap his copycat peers on the wrist, reminding them that Balenciaga Did It First.

Mr. Ghesquière did not shy away from reminding them, either. The soundtrack for the Vuitton show included “Copy Cat” by Skream, which begins, “Oh come here, copycat! You’re my puppet, you know I love it!”

“We thought the lyrics were a bit sharp, but it’s Paris, baby,” said the D.J. Michel Gaubert, who selected and mixed the music for the show.

Nicole Phelps, the executive editor of Style.com, said: “Certainly there are designers who belong to the Balenciaga school, who grew up when he was running the place and took their cues, obvious and subtle, from him. I think Alexander Wang and the Proenza Schouler designers were at the perfect age to be looking at him. He was their god in a way.” (Mr. Wang ultimately succeeded him as the designer of Balenciaga.)

Mr. Ghesquière’s departure from Balenciaga was marked by unusual viciousness. After months of silence following his exit, Mr. Ghesquière gave an interview to a new British fashion magazine, System, in which he was not kind to his corporate bosses at Balenciaga, which is owned by Kering. In the interview, Mr. Ghesquière said that he “began to feel as though I was being sucked dry, like they wanted to steal my identity while trying to homogenize things. It just wasn’t fulfilling anymore.”

The company reportedly fired back with a lawsuit that said he violated their separation agreement, and sued Mr. Ghesquière for a reported 7 million euros, about $9.6 million. (His collaborator, the stylist Marie-Amélie Sauvé, is also said to be named in the suit.) Oral arguments are expected to begin in July.

Mr. Ghesquière’s move to LVMH and its star property, Louis Vuitton, was the hire heard round the fashion world when it was announced last November. Despite the lingering uncertainty of the suit, Mr. Ghesquière received a hero’s welcome from the editors massed in Paris.

“I think it’s been remarkable how much we’ve missed him,” said Anne Slowey, the fashion news director of Elle. “The last time I got this excited about a show was when YSL had his retirement.” That was in 2002.

“I think Paris has felt a little emptier,” said Nina Garcia, the creative director of Marie Claire.

Designers, too, acknowledged his absence. Several, including Jean Paul Gaultier, Azzedine Alaïa and Mr. Anderson, attended the show. “I think he puts things into perspective and kind of stimulates an industry,” Mr. Anderson said.

Mr. Jacobs, over the course of 16 years at the house, wrote the book on fashion at Louis Vuitton, which he created for the first time when he was appointed. He turned a historic trunk maker into a globally relevant fashion brand, complete with It bags, celebrity campaigns and a must-see fashion show. But Michael Burke, the chief executive of the 160-year-old company, allowed that the company’s point of view under Mr. Jacobs was “not as focused as it needed to be.”

“What Nicolas is going to be doing is creating a more focused vision of who the Vuitton woman is,” he said in an interview at the label’s Rue du Pont Neuf headquarters. “That’s going to be his challenge. This is something that Marc was less focused on. Marc was more focused on the moment, not on defining a more timeless woman. Literally a few days before the show, he could completely change his mind because it was not of this week. Nicolas does not work that way.”

For his part, Mr. Ghesquière “saluted” the legacy of Mr. Jacobs in a letter, printed in English and French, left on every seat. (Mr. Jacobs was invited to the show but did not attend.)

Asked if a move away from the capriciousness of fashion might have negative consequences for a business built on a constant supply of new ideas, Mr. Burke said: “If you know how this psyche of the luxury client works, the answer is clearly no, the opposite. The luxury client does want a clear point of view from the brand, and the luxury client does want to have a long-term relationship with the house. That does require taking a stand and saying this is who we are, and this is who we’re not.”

What Louis Vuitton is, in large part, is a leather-goods company, and one of the most profitable luxury brands in the world, with profit margins approaching 40 percent, according to Forbes. “The vast majority of the business is in leather handbags and leather accessories,” said Luca Solca, a luxury analyst at Exane BNP Paribas.

Ready-to-wear has historically been less visible off the runway. A common complaint about Marc Jacobs’s ready-to-wear collections was that they were hard to find at Louis Vuitton stores; according to various analysts, ready-to-wear makes up only a tiny fraction of Louis Vuitton’s sales. To those women for whom Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquière was an unofficial uniform, that’s a dispiriting thought.

“I think the next challenge for Vuitton will be to take the ready-to-wear collection, and make sure women all over the world can wear it,” said Natalie Massenet, the founder of Net-a-Porter. “We want to wear his clothes.”

Mr. Ghesquière, asked whether he hoped to turn his focus back onto ready-to-wear as well as onto accessories, said: “I think that’s what I started today. It’s a silhouette now. It’s not only bags or only clothes, it’s a silhouette. It has to be a whole look.”

How that look will be felt off the runway and in the stores remains an open question, all the more so because tension between creative and business interests was a contributing factor in his departure from Balenciaga. (Mr. Ghesquière said as much in his System interview.)

“I think that’s somewhere Ghesquière seemed to struggle,” said Imran Amed, the founder and editor of the industry website The Business of Fashion. “There was that one very successful bag, the Lariat bag. But it’s hard to name a series of products from Balenciaga. The real test for Vuitton will be how they channel the creativity of Ghesquière into desirable products.”

But because of its large catalog of perennially salable bags and leather goods, there’s arguably less pressure on Mr. Ghesquière to deliver a new, instant hit. In fact, Mr. Solca, the analyst, said, “I think what the new designer contributes is creating a buzz and excitement around the brand, but it’s not necessarily material from a business standpoint.”

The buzz Wednesday morning may have been nearly deafening, but (“Copy Cat” aside) Mr. Ghesquière took a more humble tack after the show. The message he wanted to convey with his first collection was the “harmony” between himself and the brand. Vuitton at its core may be about travel (Louis Vuitton himself was a trunk maker, after all), but he has rooted his take on the label close to home.

“It’s just my vision on the extraordinary,” he said. “Sometimes we forget what is beautiful around us. That’s why I wanted the shutters to open at some point of the show, to say, here we are, this is the Cour Carrée du Louvre. It’s a beautiful reality.”
nytimes.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->