Louise Dahl-Wolfe - Photographer

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Louise Dahl grew up and went to art school in San Francisco. In her early 20's she visited the studio of Anne Brigman who had been one of the photographers associated with Stieglitz and Camera Work, and was an immediate convert to photography.

Following training as an interior decorator she took time off for a trip to Europe and North Africa, where she met American painter Meyer (Mike) Wolfe who she later married, becoming Louise Dahl-Wolfe.

On her return to San Francisco she took up photography more seriously, helped by contacts with other Californian photographers including Dorothea Lange and Edward Weston. When she and Mike moved to New York she got a magazine job as a food photographer, and some of her portraits were published by Vanity Fair. It was working for Harper's Bazaar for many years as their leading fashion photographer that made her famous. In her work she worked with all the famous figures of the day, including photographer Edward Steichen, art director Alexey Brodovitch, editor Carmel Snow and fashion editor Diana Vreeland.

Dahl-Wolfe remained a leading fashion photographer until her retirement at the end of the 1950s, when things began to change. She worked at a time when photographers were expected to produce ideas - she 'was never told what to do with a photograph, and Alexy Brodovitch never came to my studio on a sitting'.

Her work was a great influence on all fashion photographers, not least on Irving Penn and Richard Avedon. She was also a very fine portrait photographer.

source...http://photography.about.com/library/dop/bldop_ldahl-.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Mary Jane Russell, 1950. 11"x14", Gelatin Silver Print, Signed.
Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Dior Ballgown, 1950, NY. 11"x14", Gelatin Silver print, Signed.

same source as above...

Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Suzy Parker in Balenciaga by the Seine, 1953. 11"x14" Gelatin Silver Print, Signed.
Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Coco Chanel in her Apartment, 1954.
11"x14" Gelatin Silver Print, Signed.

source-as above...

Ah I just read your idea of opening this thread a minute ago in the ilustration thread!

This one here: Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Mary Jane Russell, 1950. 11"x14", Gelatin Silver Print, Signed. , is beyond fabulous :wink:

here she is!!...isn't she adorable... :D :heart:

Louise Dahl-Wolfe
American, 1895-1989

As a staff photographer for Harper's Bazaar from 1936 through 1958, Louise Dahl-Wolfe introduced a witty, relaxed, and natural aspect to fashion photography and, in the process, helped "define the post-war look of American women." She also made memorable portrait photographs of leading figures from politics and the arts, "discovered" a teenage Lauren Bacall, and was a pioneer in the technique of color photography.

Lauren Bacall Sitting on Helena Rubenstein's Bathtub..
http://www.adlerandco.com/dahl_wolfe/23.html

^ Just gorgeous. ::swoon:: The twinsies in flouncy miniskirts with flat sandals is especially lovely... Seems so appropriate for this season too. ..I also love the picture of Louise D-W herself. I never thought an old dame in leopard print could be so cute. <g>

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great topic softgrey! I really like the sophisticated, easy elegance of Dahl's work. The pic of Coco in front of her coromandel screen is my fav.

I like these because they're so evocative...I love the romance of Havana in the 40's...

05202020We20Go20To20Cuba20Henri20Bendel20Jan201941.jpg

072020On20the20Terrace20of20the20National2020Cuba20Jan201941.jpg

06202020Morning20in20Havana2020Jan201941.jpg

www.keithdelellisgallery.com

off topic: have you guys seen the buena vista social club documentary?

^ BVSC :o :heart: Great stuff, I've never watched the documentary though. But that album, theirs, is an oft-played favorite...

Photo circa 1950...

27_LDW_JapaneseBath.jpg

^ I saw the film and I loved it :heart: (I hope to go there one day!)

That pic is great jennifer~! Is that a Japanese bath?

I LOVE this photography.

She is a master of her craft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndresKlayr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->