Luxury Goods Soar In China

AlexN

Reaction score
World's luxury goods purveyors just can't get enough of China

Mon Nov 29,12:09 PM ET  Top Stories - AFP

SHANGHAI (AFP) - Armani, Louis Vuitton, Cartier: The globe's luxury goods purveyors are plowing millions of dollars into China, salivating over the potential of one of the hottest new countries to do business.

Considered a commercial backwater 15 years ago, only the mightiest of corporate giants such as Coca-Cola, Volkswagen and Unilever dared to battle for consumers' hearts in communist China.

No longer.

Today China may still be communist in name, but its 1.3 billion people march not to the austerity of Marxist-Leninism but to the allure of luxury brands that hold up the illusory promise of beauty, wealth and power.

"Chinese most generally want a stamp of approval, a badge that says that I'm moving forward in life -- whether it's a car, a nicer fridge or new clothes," said Julien Lapka, a planning director at advertising agency Saatchi and Saatchi.

As if that marketing strategy were engraved in stone, managers of brands synonymous with wealth have stormed Chinese cities with revolutionary-like euphoria, building flashy stores on the expectations that if it's expensive it will sell.

And they are being proven right.

Investment bank Goldman Sachs estimates the Chinese luxury goods market is already turning over billions of dollars and in 10 years time it will be one of the world's biggest.

On Shanghai's Nanjing Road, the golden mile of China's wealthiest and most cosmopolitan city, the chic and the cool that usually grace Paris and London catwalks have opened sumptuous, sexy boutiques selling the latest pret-a-porte couture.

No matter whether it's Gucci or Versace -- all are as eager to capture the pocket books of China's increasingly wealthy jet-setting crowd that according to the China Brand Strategy Association is aged between 30 to 40.

The association claims that some 175 million or 13.5 percent of Chinese can afford to purchase a variety of luxury brands, most of whom are buyers of personal accessories like cosmetics, watches, wallets, clothes and jewels.

This relatively flush group earns as much as 240,000 yuan (30,000 US dollars) a year and has between 300,000 to 500,000 in savings.

By 2010 their numbers are expected to increase to 250 million.

"The luxury goods market in China has entered a period of stabilised growth, and I expect it will grow at a speed of about 20 percent annually in the coming five years," said Yang Qingshan, secretary general of the association.

Josephine Chien, China deputy general manager for French fine jeweler and watchmaker Cartier, said that all the world's top luxury brands were here for only one reason.

"We see the market potential... we see that the customers are here," said Chien, who will open Cartier's China flagship store on Shanghai's swankiest location the Bund, the glamorous riverbank that is as much a paean of the city's decadent past as its uncharted but likely very wealthy future.

Although some brands such as Armani have just arrived in China others such as German men's ware designer Hugo Boss have been in China for nearly a decade. For Cartier, which plans to expand to 10 stores throughout China, the bet has paid off handsomely with its current marble-decked Shanghai store pulling in more than five million yuan a month.

And while customers in China are not as sophisticated as in other Asian countries, the newness and freshness of the market makes shoppers particularly "opened minded" and gives companies greater creative opportunity, said Chien.

Such is the mouthwatering potential that despite China's unresolved counterfeiting issues the market is already moving into another phase of development, said Wang Ling, who handled Louis Vuitton's promotion for its grand opening in Shanghai two months ago.

"Basically most of the big international brands have entered the Chinese market, and now the second and third level brands are thinking about coming in," Wang said.

Pret-a-porte couture? :lol:

China is the future of all things money

seriously.........in the near future.....a HELL of a lot of big companies are going to manufacture everything in china
its going to be a gold mine for stock brokers
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

When Hermes opened their store in Shanghai in that one day they sold more than what they would sell half-yearly.

Originally posted by Acid@Nov 29 2004, 07:38 PM
China is the future of all things money

seriously.........in the near future.....a HELL of a lot of big companies are going to manufacture everything in china
its going to be a gold mine for stock brokers
$$$$$$$$$$$$$
[snapback]443676[/snapback]​

sooo true...companies in almost every sector, esp tech, are clamoring to get in there... what concerns me is that there is so much affluence concentrated in the major cities of china but the rest of the country (the MAJORITY) is still struggling :unsure:
as for luxury goods and fashion in china... i hate it. i hate the "style"... which is basically "jsut show it off" :wacko: many women will just LIVE for buying that "it" LV bag of the season

I didnt get the whole obsession of those far eastern people buying everything designer until someone i studied with explained that its very important for business there to look but together and wearing the latest designer looks.......thats why they LOOOOOVE victoria beckham.

i saw one of their teen fashion magazines.......and the whole thing looks like a mail order catalogue......with one major difference......ALL the clothes are top top designer.......chanel, dolce&gabbana you name it

In less than fifty years time, I am convinced that China is going to be ruling the world - economically that is :blush:

My money is on India. China has some severe problems with uneven growth, a faulty banking system, an unsustainable foreign exchange peg and an overheated economy which is about to take a rough landing (and very possibly taking the US with it).

I could go on, but this is a fashion board... :innocent:

I plan to take full advantage of this growth in my future career. Thank goodness I'm bilingual :lol:

Kind of off topic but I bought the most gorgeous Balenciaga and Miu Miu shoes when I was in China.

Don't luxury goods sell most of their stuff in Asia in the first place? Like at some point LV already was selling about 60-80% of their stuff in Japan or something ridiculous like that.

Asia also has a better selection of designer gear than say Australia or the UK.

Originally posted by meowmix@Nov 29 2004, 07:39 PM

as for luxury goods and fashion in china... i hate it. i hate the "style"... which is basically "jsut show it off" :wacko: many women will just LIVE for buying that "it" LV bag of the season
[snapback]443742[/snapback]​

I think you get that in many other countries too besides China :innocent: :shock:

Originally posted by vintage_princess@Nov 29 2004, 11:58 PM
I think you get that in many other countries too besides China :innocent: :shock:
[snapback]444029[/snapback]​
true true...and it certainly applies to some parts of the US as well... but there's something else about it though in china...like that i wanna barf in my mouth quality whenever i see a chinese fashion magazine

From today's WWD, same topic, a bit longer but quite interesting:

Monday November 29, 2004
Luxury and the Lands of Opportunity

By Luisa Zargani

MARANELLO, Italy — As the Chinese market continues to accelerate at breakneck speed, so does the desire for luxury goods. And the consumer for those goods is still largely untapped, growing more sophisticated by the day.

The understanding of that changing consumer is essential to any long-term expansion in China, according to a panel of top fashion executives.

“We must not be afraid of a Chinese invasion; we are ready for China and China is ready for us,” said Renzo Rosso, owner of Diesel, who noted that the European market is “saturated” and that it is a must to seek opportunities in China and the U.S.

Rosso, who didn’t rule out production in China, said it was “fundamental to study the country and its culture,” in order to build business in China. “We know the Chinese people now go out at night, they are proud of their bodies and want to show their new clothes — there is a lot of energy,” he said. Rosso added that Diesel does not produce different collections depending on the country. “Young people listen to the same music, watch the same movies, and they want the same clothes,” he said.

Executives gave their views during a recent roundtable organized by The Wall Street Journal Europe and Class Editori, one of Italy’s main publishing houses. They addressed, among other points, the role of Italian design around the world, underscored by the symbolism of the meeting site — the Enzo Ferrari Auditorium, steps from the plant where the legendary Ferraris are produced.

“We must keep in mind that quality, design, attention to details, customer care and our team spirit differentiate us from our competitors and contribute to the success of the Made in Italy label around the world,” said Luca di Montezemolo, president of Ferrari and automaker giant Fiat, and president of Italy’s main industrialists’ association, Confindustria. “We must be proud of what we do and always strive to innovate our technology.”

Miuccia Prada, in a videotaped presentation, said she is focused on understanding who buys her products, particularly in China. “We don’t really know what [China] is, although we work within that country,” she said. “Rich people are similar around the world, but we must understand and study Asia’s sociological differences.” Prada noted that, in comparison with China, Japan is more “conceptual and sophisticated,” Hong Kong is “ultraglamorous and chic.” She joked that she’s been told many of her customers in China are bureaucrats’ mistresses. “I’m making a point of understanding who they are,” she said with a laugh.

In addition to understanding customers in China, Domenico De Sole, former Gucci chief executive and current member of the board at Gap, said in a video conference that it is important to “educate your customers.” He cited eye health giant Bausch & Lomb for making major strides in China by addressing young university students directly. “They tell them how appearance is key to success and they teach them that it is important to change their contact lenses,” said De Sole. “This is another way to open a market [to your company].” De Sole also emphasized the importance of store displays, as these are the best way to advertise brands in China, after fashion magazines.

Whatever the strategy, Antoine Colonna, managing director, head luxury goods team, Merrill Lynch, urged brands to progress one step at a time. “Faster does not mean better,” he said. “We must view China as any European market: Those who saturated China considering it as one big outlet made a huge mistake — you must always control the value of your brand.” Colonna defined China as “the biggest Eldorado” and saw it as an already sophisticated market, noting that its growth was faster than Japan’s. “There are 25 million Chinese traveling and there will be 100 million in 2020. They spend an average of $1,000 in luxury goods, and they might save on dinner or lodging, but not on luxury goods,” said Colonna.

However strong China’s potential may be, Francesco Trapani, chief executive officer of Bulgari, said for his company, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong are still more interesting than mainland China in the medium-term, given China’s comparatively lower spending power, as the average price of a Bulgari watch or jewel is higher than a luxury accessory. “China will be relevant for us in seven or eight years, not in one or two,” said Trapani. Bulgari has a store in Shanghai and one in Beijing and the company plans to open more stores in China as part of its overall Asian expansion strategy. “Three years ago, Hong Kong accounted for 2 percent of our sales, now it accounts for between 15 and 20 percent,” he said. At the same time, Trapani said although Bulgari has been present in Japan for 20 years, there are still “many opportunities to grow” and areas to expand in retailing and product in that area. Last year the company registered a 25 percent growth rate in Japan.

While acknowledging the potential of the Chinese market, Michele Norsa, ceo of Valentino, said the U.S. market “is and will always be the premier luxury market,” and the U.S. remains “the main driver” for Valentino. Over 30 months, the Marzotto-owned company grew 25 percent in the U.S., expanding from 20 to 95 doors. “It is a market that moves much faster than Europe and it reacts the most to a turnaround: department stores are the best partners, they understand [our] strategies and support us. Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Nordstrom’s have played a crucial role [in our growth],” said Norsa. “It is the only country where you can change management and store managers in a week without being paralyzed by the unions,” he added. Norsa predicted that the American West Coast will be a bridge for China more so than Europe. “And this is a big risk for us here,” he said.

Handel Lee, co-chairman of development company House of Three Ltd., presented his “Three on the Bund” shopping and cultural project and said on the design front, “it’s still a long way to go before [fashion designers in China] challenge the West — China does not have mature designers yet.” Lee attributed this dearth of talent to coming from “50 years of not having a market sensibility in high-end fashion.”

The Middle East also emerged as a potential business outlet, as Majed Al-Sabah, owner of the Villa Moda stores, urged fashion companies to develop a better understanding of the region. Developments worth watching include: a change in demographics, with 70 percent of the population aged below 30, and very trend-savvy; the population’s thirst for technology, with people owning between six and eight portable phones per capita; a focus on well-being and the opening of many luxurious spas and health-oriented activities; its population’s wealth and disposable cash, as a result of the skyrocketing oil prices. “It is a potential that goes virtually unnoticed,” said Al-Sabah, pointing out that local tourism has grown exponentially. “Middle Eastern luxury customers fear they will be discriminated against abroad and would rather not leave their countries as much,” he said.

Originally posted by kiimihaana@Nov 29 2004, 09:30 PM
My money is on India. China has some severe problems with uneven growth, a faulty banking system, an unsustainable foreign exchange peg and an overheated economy which is about to take a rough landing (and very possibly taking the US with it).

I could go on, but this is a fashion board... :innocent:
[snapback]443918[/snapback]​

india has the same probs....but also a burgeoning aids problem...my bet is on china...but like you said...this is a a fashion board :flower:

you can't deny the power of population. the potential market in china (and india) outweighs any obstacles to their growth.

I think this is long time coming. It's intresting though My best friend is going to Shangai in a few weeks.

i think this is good, it certainly shatters some people's image that everyone in china are still riding around in bicycles on dirt paved roads wearing little mao suits. not anyone here on this board but some people I've spoken to around where I live actually do think that.

Originally posted by cocomonkey@Nov 30 2004, 05:41 PM
i think this is good, it certainly shatters some people's image that everyone in china are still riding around in bicycles on dirt paved roads wearing little mao suits. not anyone here on this board but some people I've spoken to around where I live actually do think that.
[snapback]445026[/snapback]​
I'm not sure how much better the transition from "riding around in bicycles on dirt paved roads wearing little mao suits" to label-hungry fashion trend victims really is... :innocent: :wink:

mao suits are certainly cuter than a burberry on dior on gucci on LV on fendi on gucci on ferragamo on bally outfit :rolleyes:

"Today China may still be communist in name, but its 1.3 billion people march not to the austerity of Marxist-Leninism but to the allure of luxury brands that hold up the illusory promise of beauty, wealth and power."

I like this quote, especially the "illusory" part.

Meowmix, what you are saying applies to any country that is new to capitalism and the freedom of art/dress/etc. It's a saturation principle. The first people who will become the noueve riche (sp?) will inevitabley be of criminal nature and lack of taste. However, gradually, more and more people (with inborn aesthetical sense), will broaden their horizons and inevitabley will bring the good taste into the country. This happened in Russia, and now it's happening in China who opened up their borders a few years later, and it happened in the US in the 1920's, etc. etc.

Originally posted by faust@Dec 1 2004, 01:22 PM
"Today China may still be communist in name, but its 1.3 billion people march not to the austerity of Marxist-Leninism but to the allure of luxury brands that hold up the illusory promise of beauty, wealth and power."

I like this quote, especially the "illusory" part.

Meowmix, what you are saying applies to any country that is new to capitalism and the freedom of art/dress/etc. It's a saturation principle. The first people who will become the noueve riche (sp?) will inevitabley be of criminal nature and lack of taste. However, gradually, more and more people (with inborn aesthetical sense), will broaden their horizons and inevitabley will bring the good taste into the country. This happened in Russia, and now it's happening in China who opened up their borders a few years later, and it happened in the US in the 1920's, etc. etc.
[snapback]446030[/snapback]​

i've spent like 20 years around these "tastes" and i'm just rather irked by it. i've seen it in all of my mothers magazines growing up and in my family members and i'm just ready for the "good taste" to seep in... all the big business mistresses and their obsession with whatever is IN, the snobbery... it really pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
koitoast
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->