MA Fashion Journalism @ London College of Fashion

InnocentFairy

Reaction score
I have applied to an MA in Fashion Journalism at the London College of Fashion, not sure when I will hear back from them though - fingers crossed!

Anyone done this course, applied to this course or doing a course like it?

If so...can you give me some insight?

If I do not get in, do you know of another course I could do at another uni in the UK maybe?

Thank you :D

Sorry..I don't have advice..

But what course have you done so far?

I applied for the fashion journalism MA program too! I also applied for the History of Fashion and Culture MA. Good luck! Let me know if you hear anything! My undergrad is in Creative Writing/Women's Studies so I hope the humanties/writing background will help. I looked and the only fashion journalism program I found anywhere was at LCF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dustcakeboy said:
Sorry..I don't have advice..

But what course have you done so far?

I am in my third year at the moment doing BA Sociology at Goldsmiths.

samegirlyouknow said:
I applied for the fashion journalism MA program too! I also applied for the History of Fashion and Culture MA. Good luck! Let me know if you hear anything! My undergrad is in Creative Writing/Women's Studies so I hope the humanties/writing background will help. I looked and the only fashion journalism program I found anywhere was at LCF.

Have you applied for the MA Fashion Journalism in the States or the UK?

I hope I get in - at least if I get an interview, I am half way there. :(

So this is at university? I didn't know that existed...hmm I'll keep that in mind for when I am doing my MA (doing BA Theatre, Film and Television sciences, which also exists :P)

WOW, fairy were u at the open day last month? I was there too!! I have applied to do the postgrad cert in fashion and lifestyle journalism, it was a close call between the two! I think they said the turn around period for the application to hearing back process is about 6 weeks, Im so nervous! xxxxx

a984mel said:
WOW, fairy were u at the open day last month? I was there too!! I have applied to do the postgrad cert in fashion and lifestyle journalism, it was a close call between the two! I think they said the turn around period for the application to hearing back process is about 6 weeks, Im so nervous! xxxxx

Yes I was!!! What did you think of it!?

The Fashion Journalism course sounds amazing!!!

I didn't know it takes 6 wks! A girl from my uni (Goldsmiths) has also applied and she was wondering how long it takes to get a reply. I am so nervous also, are you applying for a scholarship by any chance?

Mr-Dale said:
So this is at university? I didn't know that existed...hmm I'll keep that in mind for when I am doing my MA (doing BA Theatre, Film and Television sciences, which also exists :P)

I didn't either, until I did a search in Google and that course popped up!

I am soooooo nervous :unsure:

InnocentFairy said:
Have you applied for the MA Fashion Journalism in the States or the UK?

I hope I get in - at least if I get an interview, I am half way there. :(

In the UK, I read online that they call about interviews in March I think.

InnocentFairy said:
Yes I was!!! What did you think of it!?

The Fashion Journalism course sounds amazing!!!

I didn't know it takes 6 wks! A girl from my uni (Goldsmiths) has also applied and she was wondering how long it takes to get a reply. I am so nervous also, are you applying for a scholarship by any chance?

haha, can't believe u were there too! I know, I am really nervous too because I so so want to do this course! I'm just finishing at English degree at Newcastle Uni at the mo so I'm hoping the writing element of it will stand me in good stead. :shock: I made notes during the lectures and when I was rereading them I noticed that I had written that it takes 6 weeks, unless I completely made it up?!:huh:

At the moment I have only applied for the postgrad cert. and I don't think I qualify for the scholarship with this course, but I am going to apply for the MA too, did you have to write a 1500 word essay on thought for your final project in ur application for the MA? If I apply for the MA I will definitely be applying for the Harold Tillman scholarship, it sounds fantastic, and the funds will definitely help me out!! I'm hoping they get back to me about an interview etc quite quickly, because it is expensive for me to get down there and the more time I have to sort out travel, the better. :flower:

a984mel said:
haha, can't believe u were there too! I know, I am really nervous too because I so so want to do this course! I'm just finishing at English degree at Newcastle Uni at the mo so I'm hoping the writing element of it will stand me in good stead. :shock: I made notes during the lectures and when I was rereading them I noticed that I had written that it takes 6 weeks, unless I completely made it up?!:huh:

At the moment I have only applied for the postgrad cert. and I don't think I qualify for the scholarship with this course, but I am going to apply for the MA too, did you have to write a 1500 word essay on thought for your final project in ur application for the MA? If I apply for the MA I will definitely be applying for the Harold Tillman scholarship, it sounds fantastic, and the funds will definitely help me out!! I'm hoping they get back to me about an interview etc quite quickly, because it is expensive for me to get down there and the more time I have to sort out travel, the better. :flower:

I can only go if I can get a scholarship as I do not have the money to do an MA and my parents have already paid for my BA degree :(

I did the 1500 essay but that was on a question, I also had to do a personal statement and 250 words for the final project...although I might have messed up on the final project somewhat. Its difficult at this time to decide what to do for the final project when we have not even started the course.

The girl from my uni who has applied to do the MA Fashion Journalism is also doing English, I am doing Sociology - but they do accept individuals from Sociology courses as it has a 'culture' approach to it also and so my sociology will be handy.

^^Thanks Dustcakeboy!

I have been looking on the site, I too will be applying for the Harold Tillman funds.

Why an MA in Fashion Journalism? Are you planning to teach the subject? Journalism remains one of the few professions in which degrees count for very little, if anything at all. This is particularly true of fashion journalism.

Coming at it from another angle, fashion journalism does not require great intellect, academic prowess or even much in the way of talent. Even if a newbie possesses all of these attributes, they will be suppressed by less capable editors who will see them as a potential threat.

An archival memory is an advantage, enabling you to pepper your copy with historical references to past designers, trends and collections etc etc... However, you do not require a degree in order to develop this. You need to get out there and do it.

You'd be better off just getting out there and working in the business. If you really want an MA in fashion journalism, you could gain one whilst actually doing the job. You could then do a PHd and, as I said, eventually teach the subject. But even then, you need the hands-on experience, something very few teachers and lecturers in colleges and universities have. They teach it because, in the main, they cannot do it.

None of the editors I know would hire you because of a degree. Some of them would probably kick you all the way down the stairs and out the door...and then fire their PAs for letting you in. They want to see your book of clippings. They want to know that you can do the job. A degree in journalism or media studies can, in fact, be a handicap when trying to get hardened writers and editors to take you seriously enough to entrust you with an assignment without fcuking it up and making them look bad to their bosses or upsetting an advertiser.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative. I am simply stating a bald truth, based on my own experience as both a writer and an editor and my experience of fashion and style titles and how they actually function in the real world.

PK

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->