mcQueen's Puma line

Lena said:
yes, thats my point too meg..
he could use some more 'happening' brand which is real hot at the moment, like hmm >> asics , i'm mad about asics they are the best :heart:

you are welcome all, my pleasure spreading the news :wink:

oh my god I am totally with you, mcqueen for asics! I would die!

ahh glad i'm not alone in loving asics mutterlein :flower:

Lena said:
the 'i'll get a mcQueen/Stella/Yohji pair of sneakers just cause i cant afford their other stuff' god, makes me sad.. too victimised honestly
Agreed. I generally feel the same way about the idea of Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney for H&M.

Lena said:
exactly my problem.. excuses for sounding elitistic here, but whats the use ??
i'm one of those people who couldnt normally afford a McQueen, but why should i ever go and buy the 'affordable' mcQueen sneakers when they certainly not be a part of those lines where the designer normally expresses his esthetic approach?

the 'i'll get a mcQueen/Stella/Yohji pair of sneakers just cause i cant afford their other stuff' god, makes me sad.. too victimised honestly

:ninja:

Though sportswear isn't normally where McQueen expresses his aesthetic, I think that the number of people who'll "get a McQueen... pair of sneakers just cause [they] can't afford his other stuff" will actually be quite a minority. I hope so, anyway, because I completely agree with you that anybody who does so is "too victimised."

Instead, I think that it will simply be purchased much more by fans of McQueen who also like sportswear, regardless of whether they can (or do) afford McQueens' normal lines. McQueen's regular wear isn't really "sporty"... and so this will give his fans more situations to wear his clothes. As well, I think that there will be plenty of room for McQueen to put in his own ideas and aesthetic, much as Yohji has done with y-3. I like Yohji's main lines and wear them when I go out... but it is also nice to have a sportier option for when one wants to dress more relaxed.

And, I actually do exercise in Y-3. Just today I played tennis in a pair of y-3 warm-up pants.

Finally, I'm not sure that I understand the use of "affordable" in relation to this line. Is it actually going to be affordable, or more in line with Prada Sport, Y-3, and the Neil Barrett for Puma collaboration? If so, I've never labeled these brands to be "affordable", even in relation to their main lines. For example, Y-3 isn't priced altogether differently in relation to Yohji or Y's for men (for comparable items like t shirts or pants), at least here in Japan. It is the same between Neil Barrett and 96 hours (his Puma collaboration). A Yohji main line t-shirt or pair of cotton pants runs about 17,000 and 35,000 yen, respectively. Y-3 is right in the same price range.

John

here (EU) we get Yohji's much more expensive so somehow, Y3 does seem 'affordable' in comparison.. and yes, i also know people going to the gym with their Y3's ..over here this type of sportswear is only for gym/relax-at-home, people dont like 'go to party' in Y3, its too sporty and obviously 'poor'

anyway, back on topic and mcQueen, i think he could do good sportwear, exactly becuase he never done it before.. it's a chalenge he will enjoy (together with the check of course)

I see now what you mean, Lena. Actually, after I posted the last message I thought back to when I shopped for Yohji in the States (where I'm from) and how, when I came to Japan, I noticed his prices were considerably lower. Alternatively, Y-3 is higher in Japan, so they sort of equalize.

Sorry for going off-topic again. Just wanted to let you know I see now what you meant by "affordable."

Okay, back to McQueen.

John

Sounds very interesting can't wait - although I'm quite tired hearing about collaborations like this. Hopefully he will kick it. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will be quite kewl and will look nice but will serve no purpose as a sports wear to actually exercise in i dont think :P

hey sorry to do your job but i didnt know if you knew there was a thread on this in designer and collections (is that what its called lol i think so ne ways hope im rite)
maybe you could murge them as im sure people in that thread would be interested in the article i know i am :flower:

Thanks Tia...I need to practice what I preach. :blush:

Its like it never happened lol

I just thort it was a good article shame to goto waste might as well push it out there were it'll will get noticed :flower:

I agree w/ most of your points rach2 :flower: , and i'm curious to see what the pricing will be...

Agreed. I generally feel the same way about the idea of Lagerfeld and Stella McCartney for H&M.

I can see where you are coming from, because it does reinforce a victimized mentality, except more democratically. however, i think that designer/ mainstream clothing collaborations are a step in the right direction, because it indicates that they realize design success isn't just for the elite: high/ end $$$$. it is also important to design clothing for the masses in mind, and this can be accompolished without sacrificing artistic integrity. comme des garcons, yohji yamamoto, issey miyake are an example of this; although most their clothing (aside from issey miyake's innovative textile pursuits) is high end, at the core is a very prolific design philosophy: functionality/ design for comfort and movement, all body types, shattering male/ female stereotypes, japanese zen/ aesthetic design principles ... this approach to design has trickled down and influenced the mainstream, not only through clothing, but also through marketing/ branding/ strategy. you could look at it this way: it took about twenty years or so for 'japanese avant garde' clothing to show up in stores, because it took that long for many to have 'adopted' their look. they are free to design avant garde, because they have succeeded in influencing everyone with their design philosophy -- all the way down to the breezy cropped pants at target. now that is power. i believe karl lagerfeld/ stella are trying to get a piece of the pie -- they want the same sort of influence, but theirs in a quicker, probably less successful strategy. in the end the importance lies in this: a re evalution in their approach to design -- what is good design? am i being effective? it's thinking outside the box and taking risks.

anyway, back on topic and mcQueen, i think he could do good sportwear, exactly becuase he never done it before.. it's a chalenge he will enjoy (together with the check of course)

exactly :flower: :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen these yet? They were supposed to be unveiled during London Fashion Week. I totally forgot.

there'sa thread with a link and some info in the shoes section...:flower:

I know they come out in January... but does anyone know around what date in January?

em 692 said:
It will be interesting to see how a designer will fit such high fashion into a sneaker...

Just a random thought: Wouldn't it be awful for a designer, whose clothes are normally well-treated and in good condition, to see something they designed all beat up from running in the rain and mud? Or worn out from so much wear?

One of my dreams is to see clothes I've designed USED UP... I can't think of a better tribute to a designer than a worn-out garment... though I'm sure having your designs exist as pristine, protected collectors items would also be a compliment of course...

What is this "asics" everyone is talking about? I've never heard of it here in Canada... I'm so behind the curve, I thought puma was trendy, not just massively successful...

I love the development of the mass-produced designer collection... it gives Designers a chance to reach out to a larger audience, perhaps even regain the kind of celebrity designers used to have back in the early nineties... but with the wonderful new aspect of accessibility. It'll be interesting to see how these ventures play out for McQueen and McCartney...

finalfashion said:
One of my dreams is to see clothes I've designed USED UP... I can't think of a better tribute to a designer than a worn-out garment... though I'm sure having your designs exist as pristine, protected collectors items would also be a compliment of course...

What is this "asics" everyone is talking about? I've never heard of it here in Canada... I'm so behind the curve, I thought puma was trendy, not just massively successful...

I love the development of the mass-produced designer collection... it gives Designers a chance to reach out to a larger audience, perhaps even regain the kind of celebrity designers used to have back in the early nineties... but with the wonderful new aspect of accessibility. It'll be interesting to see how these ventures play out for McQueen and McCartney...

Asics own Onitsuka Tiger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->