Movies with great fashion!

Or maybe I'm just reading waaaay too much into the color of the costumes!

No your take is very interesting. For most films the costume designer does take things like this into consideration especially if they have a good relationship with the director.

FYI Gwyneth's clothes were all by Donna Karen. Not sure Ethan and Ann's though sorry.

I watched Pretty Women again recently and afterwards read up about the clothes and everything she wore was made by the costume designer. None of them were by a designer name. She had to fight the film makers to let the opera dress be red. I can't imagine it any other colour.

If you've not yet seen ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE you must! It's brilliant. But the clothes are perrrrrrfection also! :heart:

all Vogue.com

Totally! I saw it when my friends bailed on me the last minute, so I was pretty pissed off before I went in the cinema, though as soon as it came on I was mesmerised!

Have you any of you guys seen the 1995 comedy "Party Girl" with Parker Posey? I love it, It is a really funny, light and over the top film, it resembles "Clueless" in its style. However these are not the best screenshots, but there is hardly any HQ images online that I can find, which is a shame as the film has some really good outfits worn by Parker.

source - my own screenshots

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a tv show and not a movie, but I'm sort of obsessed with the fashion on Reign. It blends renaissance style with contemporary (definitely not historically accurate!) and it's taken some heat from purists but I think they do some interesting stuff
Here's how the costume designer described her ideas for each character (source)
Mary (Adelaide Kane)"From the beginning I had this vision of her as two women: she's the warrior queen and she's the romantic. And I always feel like usually we embody both of those elements in her wardrobe, so if there's a harsh or strong detail, it will be accompanied by something light and feminine. Sometimes it's even just her hair which works into that. Something that pops to mind is this Alexander McQueen gown that we put her in in the second episode, that she wears when she meets Simon, the British lord…It's this insane, beaded almost kind of armored gown, and with her hair down and soft, it kind of softened it up and made it a little more romantic and mysterious rather than just harsh. So I feel like that's the balance usually with Mary."

Kenna (Caitlin Stasey)
"Immediately as soon as I read the pilot, I thought Kenna to me feels like our bohemian girl, our flower child, and has this kind of relaxed hippie vibe. And then when I saw a photo of Caitlin, I thought, 'Oh, that's perfect, she totally fits the bill.' We keep her in a lot of earth tones, a lot of creams."

Lola (Anna Popplewell)
"Lola read to me as the romantic, and I immediately thought of the iconic image of Ophelia in the water, surrounded by flowers. She became our romantic type and kind of the heroine. And that kind of turned into having a 1920s vibe to her, and I think a lot of those silhouettes look so beautiful on Anna. So we kept her in a lot of plums and burgundies and pinks and lavenders, and keeping her feminine but also strong at the same time, because her character speaks out and is opinionated."

Greer (Celina Sinden)
"Greer, because she's not titled, but she's ridiculously wealthy, she's constantly trying to prove herself with her jewels and her fashion...She's always kind of slightly over the top, always kind of acceptable but a little bit over the top. She'll always have big jewels on, we kept her in a lot of emerald, kind of jewel tones, a lot of greens and deep golds and yellows on her. Constantly one too many accessories on her because she's trying a little too hard."

Aylee (Jenessa Grant)
"For Aylee, she always felt probably the most conservative out of the girls, a little more reserved, a little more law-abiding so to speak. I always envisioned her as the prep, the preppy girl as she would be in modern times. So we kept her in a lot of creams. Ironically, old vintage wedding dresses really kind of started working for her, so we got this collection in and these beautiful kind of 1950s and '60s wedding gowns that we then would kind of take apart and jewel or do something to do make them her own."

all pics from cwtv.com/shows/reign

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieS
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->