Must Have: Tabi Shoes

Originally posted by Acid@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 2:35 am
:sick: sorry but they are VERY ugly
most people want to make their feet look attractive but these are just a joke

they would go well with a fancy dress as a camel though
how i agree!!
the worst is that ost of the people i know who wore these thought they are the fashionista at large :yuk:

its one thing creating a trend and another to make toes even stand out more :doh:

i find them S*c*a*r*y :cry:

i preffer them not mixed with "cuteness" actually, just plain ninja shoes:
shorttabi.jpg
:smile:

I have a pair of tabis by Martin Margiela. They get a lot of attention from people whenever I wear them. Some people might find them a little weird, but then again... I am a little weird. here's a pic:

544948373_l.jpg

My, what a lot of haters on this thread. :lol: I actually consider the leather Margielas to be quite classic, but that might be because I used to work at a shop that stocked them every season, and I was selling a pair every week.

I recently got very lucky on ebay with a pair of the knee-high ones. My initial plan was to re-sell them (because I thought I might turn a tidy profit), but once I had them on I changed my mind - they are far too pretty to let go. ^_^ And quite comfortable, too...

Ok, do your worst. :P

Attachments

• mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 469
  • mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 313
Here's some background information on tabi, in case anyone's interested:
Tabi are traditional Japanese socks. Ankle high and with a separation between the big toe and other toes, they are worn by both men and women with zori, geta, and other traditional thonged footwear. Tabi are also essential with traditional clothing—kimono and other wafuku. The most common colour is white, and white tabi are worn in formal situations such as at tea ceremonies. Men sometimes wear blue or black tabi for travelling. Patterned and coloured tabi are also available and are worn most often by women, though they are gaining popularity among men as well.

Construction workers, farmers and gardeners, rickshaw-pullers, and other workmen often wear a type of tabi called jika-tabi: "tabi that contact the ground"). Being made of heavier, tougher material and often having rubber soles, jika-tabi resemble boots and function as outer footwear rather than as socks. Like other tabi, jika-tabi are toe-divided so they can been worn with slip-on thonged footwear. Shojiro Ishibashi, the founder of tire major Bridgestone Corporation, is credited with their innovation.

Though slowly being replaced by steel-toed rigid-sole construction shoes in some industries, many workers prefer them for the softness of their soles. This gives wearers tactile contact with the ground and also lets them use their feet more agilely than rigid-soled shoes allow: for instance, people who traverse girders on construction sites like to know what is under their feet, and craft practitioners such as carpenters and gardeners additionally use their feet as if they were an extra pair of hands, for example to hold objects in place.

In contrast to socks that, when pulled on, fit the foot snugly because of their elastic weave, tabi are sewn together from cloth cut to form. They are open at the back so they can be slipped on and have a row of fasteners along the opening so they can be closed.

Nowadays, tabi socks—socks with a separation between the big toe and its neighbor to allow wear with thonged footwear—are also available. This reflects the number of people who still prefer to wear zori and geta, especially during Japan's hot, humid summers.
wikipedia.org

markie said:
I have a pair of tabis by Martin Margiela. They get a lot of attention from people whenever I wear them. Some people might find them a little weird, but then again... I am a little weird. here's a pic:

NICE MARKIE!!! I see your MOMA's too, you are a smarty pants!B)

I have always loved tabi inspired footwear, and even though I don't have a pair of the Margiela's, I have always wanted a pair. I want black leather ones, but the white sneaks are pretty cute too.

BTW, who cares if they are weird and don't make your feet look sexy, personal fashion doesn't mean everyone should look identical nor is it about getting laid.

I wouldn't mind wearing the ones mirrra posted, now if I only knew where I could pick up a pair :lol:

Droogist....those boots are gorgeous..... I think the heel somehow makes them more elegant because as most ppl have said - the Tabi toes aren't the most flattering things in the world - I like how they're unique though..... I wouldn't mind having a pair of plain canvas ones just to wear casually.....

^^i've seen the 'basic' ones in karate/martial arts online shops:P
droogist, those boots are unique:heart: actually i like them more than expected:smile:

^ Admittedly, that's what I said the first time I saw a pair...I guess some of us just like cows. :smile:

Ta susie and mirrra. :flower:

droogist, i LOVE them! :heart: they're beautiful. i fell in love with tabi boots when i saw blonde redhead a few years ago and kazu was wearing an ankle pair. i'm not sure who they were by, but they were amazing. i've been on the lookout (casually) ever since...i love the ones you posted, mirra...i think i may have to get some! :wink:

.francesca said:
droogist, i LOVE them! :heart: they're beautiful. i fell in love with tabi boots when i saw blonde redhead a few years ago and kazu was wearing an ankle pair. i'm not sure who they were by, but they were amazing. i've been on the lookout (casually) ever since...i love the ones you posted, mirra...i think i may have to get some! :wink:
Thanks francesca. I'll bet Kazu's pair was Margiela too, they are fans - I used to always see them at the Margiela sample sales in NY. :lol:

you know, now that i see your tall pair, i think you're right - the shape was exactly the same in the toe and heel, except hers weren't kneehighs. i saw one of the brothers in ny last time i was there, but he wasn't wearing tabi boots :wink: :lol:

these might be easier for you to get .f cos they are based out of canadia...

nice boots droogist. i'm not crazy about tabis, but yours look really elegant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->