Natalie Portman to play Anne Boleyn w/Scarlett Johansson

cosmogrl5

Fashionably Late
Reaction score
Natalie Portman to play Anne Boleyn w/Scarlett Johansson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5198470.stm

Portman to star in Boleyn film

Scarlett Johansson will play Anne Boleyn's sister Mary

Lost in Translation actress Scarlett Johansson is to star in a BBC film inspired by the life of Anne Boleyn, the second wife of King Henry VIII.

The Other Boleyn Girl is based on a novel about the power struggles in the Boleyn family - in particular between Anne and her elder sister, Mary.

Johansson will play Mary, while Anne will be played by Natalie Portman.

The £20m film will be directed by Justin Chadwick, the director behind the BBC's mini-series Bleak House.

The film is the second version of Philippa Gregory's book to be made by the BBC. The first was made in 2003 and starred Natasha McElhone as Mary Boleyn.

The film traces the Boleyn family struggles after Mary Boleyn, who is already married, becomes the mistress of King Henry VIII and bears him two children.

Her sister Anne becomes the king's new favourite while Mary is in confinement.

After Anne's death, Mary manages to survive her family's power-hungry machinations and remarries.

Australian actor Eric Bana is expected to play King Henry. The film will begin shooting in October.

The film is one of a raft of new projects announced by BBC Films.

Cate Blanchett and Dame Judi Dench star in Notes on a Scandal, based on the novel by Zoe Heller, while Naomi Watts and Viggo Mortensen will appear in sex-trafficking drama Eastern Promises.

"There is an unprecedented range of international talent attracted to our films at the moment," David Thompson, head of BBC Films, told the Guardian.

^^that sounds great i hope it ends up being a great movie!
But i have to say i really like Natasha McElhone so i dont know how will Scarlett do?

I saw that first version..... it was so-so.

The thing is if this period drama is to be a commercial success (and clearly that's what they're aiming for by casting such high profile actresses), BBC Films need to work on making this version stand out. If it's just a from-the-book, straightfoward adaptation..... it will bore the tears out of people. Thankfully, I have faith in this one....let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

Oh i love Eric Bana and i adore Natalie but Scarlett?....:sick: :rolleyes:

I can't say much for that Eric guy, only film I've seen him in was TROY,
so I really can't tell what he would be like as King Henry. I like Portman,
but not so much with Johansson. I will have to see....:mellow:

Anne Boleyn was a six-fingered witch!

This ought to be good! Great choice of actresses, and as it's not directed by Sofia Coppola, we won't have to worry about a Modern English "I Melt With You" musical dance/head chopping block interlude (pic from wikipedia:(

Moving forward using all my breath
Making love to you was never second best
I saw the world thrashing all around your face
Never really knowing it was always mesh and lace

Attachments

• Queen_Anne_Boleyn_2.jpg
    Queen_Anne_Boleyn_2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest, Natalie and Scarlett are both extremely over-rated actresses. How about tossing Evan Rachel Wood in there?

Eric Bana as Henry the 8th?!

Say whatttt???

Are they going to make him wear a fat suit?

And isn't Henry suppose to be a red-head?

I'm sorry, but I don't think should have picked Scarlett. Ever since I was young the story of Henry the 8th & Anne has fansinated me. Thinking of Scarlett messing up and making it horrible pisses me off.

I'm looking forward to seeing Natalie in this movie. Although, I have the same reaction about Scarlett in this one - not too sure about her.

It would not of been my first choice. :neutral:

At least it's not Lohan. :X

Anne Boleyn movies are always kind of lame.

And Natalie and Scarlett as sisters... not believable...:huh:

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Can't wait to see it!

Normally I dislike Scarlett, but when faced with the decision between the two, I have to say that I dislike Natalie even more. I agree with GlassAngel, they're both overrated actresses.

Unless they plan to use a lot of make-up, it's hard to picture Scarlett as being older than Natalie.

Sidenote: Love Eric Bana, so hot in Black Hawk Down :crush: But I have to admit, I can't see him as hot-headed Henry.

I really enjoy reading about the Tudor dynasty, and I love Natalie Portman. This should be amazing.

^me too, it sounds kind of interesting.

scarlett would easily look older than natalie...scarlett would probably look older than most of my friends, and we're all her age. :innocent:

and anyway, again, i dont see why they keep making physical comparisons with actors, so only a chubby redhead will be able to play henry? come on..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->