Nathalie Emmanuel

Yohji

Reaction score
Cher Coulter is doing a good job styling her.

Nathalie Joanne Emmanuel (born 2 March 1989) is an English actress. Emmanuel began her acting career appearing in theatre in the late 1990s, accruing roles in various West End productions such as the musical The Lion King. In 2006, she began her on-screen career by starring as Sasha Valentine in soap opera Hollyoaks, after which she appeared in various British television series until her debut film appearance in Twenty8k. Emmanuel gained public recognition by starring as Missandei in the fantasy series Game of Thrones, before achieving international fame with supporting roles in action films Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015), and Furious 7 (2015), which became the sixth highest-grossing film of all time.

Actor Nathalie Emmanuel attends "The Fate Of The Furious" New York Premiere at Radio City Music Hall on April 8, 2017 in New York City.

9tuaSYP.jpg

Nathalie Emmanuel is seen at 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'.

QQ0hppW.jpg

HySsFDs.jpg

Actor Nathalie Emmanuel attends the 2017 Vanity Fair Oscar Party hosted by Graydon Carter at Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts on February 26, 2017 in Beverly Hills, California.

2JSavUw.jpg

Actor Nathalie Emmanuel attends Vanity Fair and L'Oreal Paris Toast to Young Hollywood hosted by Dakota Johnson and Krista Smith at Delilah on February 21, 2017 in West Hollywood, California.

FzPVSZB.jpg

Actress Nathalie Emmanuel attends The 23rd Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at The Shrine Auditorium on January 29, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. 26592_008

4fC5IUn.jpg

ChtLdFv.jpg

Actress Nathalie Emmanuel attends the Entertainment Weekly Celebration of Screen Actors Guild Award Nominees sponsored by Maybelline New York at Chateau Marmont on January 28, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.

U2xwIHS.jpg

Nathalie Emmanuel attends the European premiere of "xXx": Return of Xander Cage' at Cineworld 02 Arena on January 10, 2017 in London, United Kingdom.

Tfk462H.jpg

Actress Nathalie Emmanuel attends Entertainment Weekly's Comic-Con Bash held at Float, Hard Rock Hotel San Diego on July 23, 2016 in San Diego, California sponsored by HBO.

rJUzLOd.jpg

Actress Nathalie Emmanuel attends the Entertainment Weekly's Women Who Kick *** event during Comic-Con International 2016 at San Diego Convention Center on July 23, 2016 in San Diego, California.

V6MUyzJ.jpg

Actress Nathalie Emmanuel attends SiriusXM's Entertainment Weekly Radio Channel Broadcasts From Comic-Con 2016 at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego on July 22, 2016 in San Diego, California.

SEJk1Qi.jpg

Actress Nathalie Emmanuel attends the premiere of HBO's "Game Of Thrones" Season 6 at TCL Chinese Theatre on April 10, 2016 in Hollywood, California.

Gy0nQrY.jpg

zimbio.com​

NATHALIE EMMANUEL at Royal Ascot Races in Berkshire 06/21/2017

credit: hawtcelebs

NATHALIE EMMANUEL Out in London 07/03/2017

NATHALIE EMMANUEL Out and About in Beverly Hills 07/10/2017

NATHALIE EMMANUEL at Game of Thrones Panel at Comic-con in San Diego 07/21/2017

NATHALIE EMMANUEL Arrives at Comic-con in San Diego 07/21/2017

She's lovely! I can't believe how well she pulls off blue lipstick, I would have thought that was impossible

NATHALIE EMMANUEL for Byrdie

NATHALIE EMMANUEL for Raw Pages, August 2017

Nathalie Emmanuel – Elle’s 25th Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration in Los Angeles 10/15/2018
nathalie-emmanuel-elle-s-25th-annual-women-in-hollywood-celebration-in-la-1.jpg
nathalie-emmanuel-elle-s-25th-annual-women-in-hollywood-celebration-in-la-4.jpg
celebmafia

The Porter Edit by Net-A-Porter
May 17, 2019

Head Strong
Model Nathalie Emmanuel
Photographer Sonia Szóstak
Styling Morgan Pilcher

After rising through the ranks on Game of Thrones, NATHALIE EMMANUEL is making serious headway in Hollywood, with her next project delivering leading-lady status – in the hotly anticipated TV adaptation of ’90s classic Four Weddings and a Funeral. The actress talks to JANE MULKERRINS about groundbreaking sex scenes, facing death and GoT’s “surprising” ending.

Less than 24 hours before meeting Nathalie Emmanuel, I watched her die. Somewhere around 12 million others witnessed the brutal execution too, as Emmanuel’s on-screen character was dramatically beheaded, in the final scene of the last-before-the-penultimate installment of the biggest television series in the world. If you haven’t yet seen episode four of this final season of Games of Thrones, you might want to stop reading now; if you haven’t yet seen a single episode of Game of Thrones, you might want to stop reading, catch up on all 72 episodes so far, then come back to join our collective grief over the death of Missandei of Naath, loyal translator to Daenerys Targaryen. Even 30-year-old Emmanuel, who shot the scenes a year ago, is still grieving somewhat.

“I feel differently about it today than I did yesterday,” she admits, as we settle on a leather sofa in a hip hotel on New York’s Lower East Side. “I suddenly feel like she’s no longer in existence; she’s now a character from the past, and that feels different.” She pauses and looks at me, quizzically. “Does that make any sense at all?” Yes, actually, it makes complete sense. The impact of her character’s shocking death is still sinking in for all of us. “The reaction on social media has been overwhelming,” she says. “And that’s testament to how much people cared for the character. A lot of the comments have been: ‘You deserved better’, but it’s Game of Thrones – there’s no justice, and it doesn’t matter how good you are or how kind or sweet you are, they [the show’s machinating, power-crazed characters] will get you if it advances their own interests.”

Some commentators, however, have alleged that Missandei really did deserve better; the culture website Vulture accused the show’s writers of reducing her to a victim, “to only three things: her service, her brief love affair, and her violent death”. Emmanuel, however, disagrees. “In that last scene, you felt her fear but also her strength and her bravery. I love that ‘f*** you’ [moment] she had, right at the very end,” she says of Missandei’s final, defiant declaration: “Dracarys” [meaning ‘dragon fire’]. “I was really proud of it,” says Emmanuel. She is similarly happy with the show’s ultimate ending, which airs this weekend. “I felt really satisfied and fulfilled by it,” she nods, beaming. “People will be really surprised.”

Missandei’s untimely death has, perhaps, been most upsetting for fans because of the plans she and Grey Worm were making, to settle down to a quiet life together. “Some of the greatest love stories don’t have a happy ending,” Emmanuel points out. “People have commented that as soon as they saw Missandei and Grey Worm making plans, it was, like, ‘Well, one of them is definitely going to die now.’” The couple’s on-screen relationship – a slow burn since Emmanuel joined the show in season three – reached a crescendo in season seven, with a touching and much-talked-about sex scene in a series not often described as tender. It was also Emmanuel’s first ever on-screen sex scene. She called her mother in advance. “I’m her baby, and she needs to be prepared for things like that,” she says.

For the uninitiated, Grey Worm is a eunuch, but Missandei and he consummate their relationship in other ways. “A lot of the sex on Game of Thrones is lust-filled, a bit like scratching an itch, whereas this was about trust and intimacy and acceptance of the other person fully and wholly,” says Emmanuel. “There were quite a few feminist articles written about the fact that it was all about Missandei’s pleasure, but other people did ask: ‘Well, how did they do it?’” She rolls her eyes. “I’m like, guys, if you don’t know another way to do things, then I feel like you should learn. Quickly.”

Missandei’s untimely death has, perhaps, been most upsetting for fans because of the plans she and Grey Worm were making, to settle down to a quiet life together. “Some of the greatest love stories don’t have a happy ending,” Emmanuel points out. “People have commented that as soon as they saw Missandei and Grey Worm making plans, it was, like, ‘Well, one of them is definitely going to die now.’” The couple’s on-screen relationship – a slow burn since Emmanuel joined the show in season three – reached a crescendo in season seven, with a touching and much-talked-about sex scene in a series not often described as tender. It was also Emmanuel’s first ever on-screen sex scene. She called her mother in advance. “I’m her baby, and she needs to be prepared for things like that,” she says.

For the uninitiated, Grey Worm is a eunuch, but Missandei and he consummate their relationship in other ways. “A lot of the sex on Game of Thrones is lust-filled, a bit like scratching an itch, whereas this was about trust and intimacy and acceptance of the other person fully and wholly,” says Emmanuel. “There were quite a few feminist articles written about the fact that it was all about Missandei’s pleasure, but other people did ask: ‘Well, how did they do it?’” She rolls her eyes. “I’m like, guys, if you don’t know another way to do things, then I feel like you should learn. Quickly.”

Emmanuel grew up in Westcliff-on-Sea, just outside Southend in Essex, England, where she and her older sister were raised predominantly by their mother, Debs, who works as a carer for adults with special needs. Debs enrolled both girls in dance classes when Nathalie was three – chiefly to try to coax her out of her clinginess (“I was such a mummy’s girl, traumatized every time she dropped me off anywhere, even with relatives,” she laughs). They began auditioning for local productions advertised in the paper, and at ten years old, with very little experience, Emmanuel was cast as Young Nala in the West End production of The Lion King. “I remember going to the opening night party – the Spice Girls were there, Shirley Bassey was there, Claudia Schiffer was there… It was crazy. But my mum was also very strict; any drama that I did had to fit in around school. There are so many awful cliched stories of kid actors who don’t quite become fully formed adults,” she notes, raising an eyebrow.

Once Emmanuel passed her GCSEs, however, she was free to pursue her ambitions, quickly winning the role of Sasha in British soap opera Hollyoaks. And, for four years, she was given some of the show’s juiciest storylines, as Sasha became a heroin addict and a prostitute. When Emmanuel left the series, however, she struggled to get work. “There’s such a stigma around soaps and soap actors – are they real actors? When I first left Hollyoaks it was very tough, I really wasn’t being seen for stuff.” She made ends meet by working in the clothing store Hollister. “I was very much an out-of-work actor,” she says, with a wry smile. “And it was awful.”

Then, she spotted a casting call for Game of Thrones, of which she was already a huge fan. “It said: 18-25, non-white or actress of color. And I was like, ‘Hey, that’s me, let’s do this.’” The role proved a turn in the tide. Before her first GoT episodes even screened, she was cast as a computer hacker in Furious 7, part of the Fast and Furious movie franchise, followed by a role in Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. “When I think about what the show has done for my life, and my career, it blows my mind,” she says.

But the public profile that the juggernaut of Game of Thrones has brought is not without its downsides. “I love meeting fans, but sometimes the boundaries of general social etiquette get crossed,” she says. “I’ve been followed, and that’s felt threatening. And when I see people taking photos of me from afar I get really self-conscious, like I’m under surveillance.” Emmanuel lives in an unstarry part of northwest London which, she says, helps minimize such attention. “No one cares that I’m some actress on whatever show. When I go to the launderette, I’m just, like: ‘Is this dryer free? Great.’ No one cares at all.”

Here in Manhattan, however, people definitely care. At one point in our conversation, a young woman in a business suit approaches and asks for a picture with the actress. “I would never normally ask, but I’m a huge fan, and you died last night,” she gushes. Emmanuel laughs and agrees.

Yoga also helps her keep things in perspective; during the filming of the final season of GoT, she hopped off to Morocco to train as a yoga instructor. “I wasn’t in a lot of this last season of filming, because I wasn’t in the battles – they did 11 weeks of night shoots [for the Battle of Winterfell], and I wasn’t upset to miss that,” she laughs. “People were losing their minds, working at night in the cold and the rain, and I was in Morocco, like, ‘Sorry that’s happening. Namaste, guys.’”

Finding time to actually teach what she learnt is tricky; she’s just wrapped six months of filming on Four Weddings and a Funeral, a Hulu miniseries inspired by the seminal Richard Curtis film, and her first leading role. Unlike the film, which, when viewed by today’s higher standards, was shockingly monoethnic in its casting, the television version, written by Mindy Kaling, is groundbreakingly diverse for a rom-com. “The fact that Nikesh [Patel] and I are the leads on that show, that really means something to us,” Emmanuel beams.

The actress plays Maya, an American who works in US politics in New York, but whose college friends have mostly decamped to London. After having her heart broken, she follows them across the pond, “and tries to figure out what she wants with her life, with love and friendship. It’s stuff that we can all relate to.” Emmanuel, who recently turned 30, seems to have already figured much of that out for herself. “I’m much more equipped for all of this now than I was when I was 23 or 24,” she acknowledges. “I know exactly what I want for myself. And I’ve been building towards this thing, and working really hard for it, and now I get to enjoy it.”

The final episode of Game of Thrones airs May 19 (US) on HBO. Four Weddings and a Funeral premieres on Hulu on July 31
net-a-porter

US Shape May 2020

Nathalie Emmanuel

Photographer: Carter Smith
Stylist: Brit & Kara Elkin
Hair: Neeko
Makeup: Beau Nelson
Manicure: Kimmie Kyees
Cast: Nathalie Emmanuel

US Shape Digital Edition

When me & my sister would watch her on GoT, that's what we'd always say about her: she has the most perfect body for these types of clothes. Glad to see her here, but I'm hella confused by what she's wearing on the cover. A shirt that's both backless, and neckless?

I'd love to see her more..she really is quite easy on the eyes, no?

I'm not a massive GOT fan, but I do love her face and she's fantastic in photoshoots as well. Looking forward to seeing more of her around!

I'd love to see her more..she really is quite easy on the eyes, no?

Tremendously gorgeous! Even drooled as I uploaded the images. It's sort of a cross between doll-like and mature defined features.
Looking forward to see her on film - what she's famous for so far is not really up my street.

Looking forward to see her on film - what she's famous for so far is not really up my street.
Sadly, I think that’s all we’ll see her in: GoT, and GoT conventions. Or maybe she’ll wind up on more British TV that I won’t see here in America.

Yeah, I wonder how Nathalie's career will move forward...

NATHALIE EMMANUEL for Rollacoaster Autumn/Winter 2020
nathalie-emmanuel-for-rollacoaster-autumn-winter-2020-2.jpg

nathalie-emmanuel-for-rollacoaster-autumn-winter-2020-0.jpg

nathalie-emmanuel-for-rollacoaster-autumn-winter-2020-1.jpg

hawtcelebs​

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LA REGINA
Back