Nepotism and Celebrity in Fashion

squilliam

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot since the current trend in modelling is getting all the instagram girls who have tons of followers because their parents are famous. You have a lot of celebrity kids deciding they want t model, and now they're being taken seriously for it.
Then you have the influence of celebrities in fashion, and how fashion works for them. It's the celebrities at the front row and on the cover of magazines. Many of these celebrities who are seen as fashion icons who often have stylists and some of these celebrities barely know anything about fashion.
Then there are the celebrity designers like Victoria Beckham and Kanye West. And you have nepotism designers like Stella McCartney and Jennifer Nicholson.
And now some designers are becoming celebrities themselves. They're becoming powerful invincible entities that no one dares to criticize, and some designers are so obsessed with maintaining their celebrity status that they don't care much about clothes anymore.

What are your thoughts on all of this? Can we discuss?

Nepotism has always been a core in fashion. Remember that fashion was about exclusivity and that exclusivity started in the couture world.
At the time, designers used to hire society girls in their studio. They were doing PR and it was all about their social connections.

In modelling, the great Marisa Berenson became popular, not only thanks to her beauty, but also because she was Schiap' granddaughter.
The same for Ines de la Fressange. She is coming from an aristocratic family and Karl was attracted to it as much as he was attracted by his beauty.

I think nepotism has gone wrong those last few years with the phenomenon of the It-girls. This post-Paris Hilton generation of it-girls is full of celebrities children who were living a fashion lifestyle very early.

I don't think you can put Stella McCartney in the same box as others "nepotism designers".
Sure, her name helped her to get all the major models in her graduation show and was a huge part of her Chloé job but she's taking fashion seriously. I think she is still paying the price of the disaster that was her first show. She is a good designer. Maybe she isn't good as we're expecting from her name but she is good.
And i'm sorry but she is more original and creative than some of the designers who have emerged in the last 10 years.

both of you are totally correct,:smile:
i just think its so unfair to those hard working individuals out there with visions/dreams and also want to make it in this world, but dont have a chance because they might not have the money/ the famous connections or the fame...while example someone like Kanye regardless what he makes everyone will say yes to that because of PR/fame/money ect....a bit sad the things that is happening today in the fashion world in certain areas of it........:( i wonder in 20 years from now how things would be :(

I think nepotism in fashion was never as blatant as now. It's becoming almost repulsive. Sure you always had beautiful (and talented) people getting an easy ride because of their connection or family. But now days if you have a name you do not even have a to fit the role. That's a big difference.

You have kids like Moss's little sister or Noel Gallagher's daughter:smile:shock:smile: growing up already expecting and Knowing they will have a career in fashion because they are related to someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->