Night of glory/ Armani,Versace and Garavani

model_mom

Reaction score
Night of glory for Italy's fashion royalty
Edwina McCann, Fashion editor
June 03, 2005

IN the 1950s, Rome was known for la dolce vita (the sweet life), and last night the Italian capital recaptured its former glory with a glittering event, Una Notte a Roma (One Night in Rome).

<SPAN class=bodytext>The three big hitters of Italian fashion - Giorgio Armani, Donatella Versace and Valentino Garavani, known as just Valentino - showed collections created for the televised event held in Rome's Piazza Navona.

Sitting in the front row were actors Gwyneth Paltrow and Rupert Everett. Everett was seated beside Dontella's daughter, Allegra Versace, who took control of her inheritance - 50 per cent of the Versace empire valued at $140 million - on her 18th birthday last June.

Valentino, Versace and Armani were joined on the catwalk by another fashion stalwart, Gianfranco Ferre, to applause at the end of the evening.

For Armani, the celebration topped off a good week during which the designer completed an agreement to lend his vision to a $US1 billion ($1.3billion) project. He will create interiors and oversee all the fashion aspects of seven hotels and three resorts in Dubai for Dubai-based developers Emaar Properties.
advertisement.gif

article from "The Australian"

Last edited by a moderator:
Two tacky designers (Versace & Valentino) + one boring to death designer = show boring to death. Poor people who had to sit through that show. :shock: Must have been REALLY painful.

i'm from milan, i've watched that, was very very cool, valentino, armani, versace, ferrè (too) showed the collections for the next winter, was a lot of super models like rianne, nicole trunfio, natasha poly, mariacarla, and others. the night was very very beautiful.
the runway (if i can call like this) was very beautiful, artistic, in the middle of the square with the big statue, and all was great!
i've found a small pics of the show. hope you like it :wink:
3.jpg
5.jpg

Dalla meravigliosa Piazza Navona in Roma Carlo Conti e Afef conducono una serata dedicata all'Alta Moda e ai suoi "gioielli" più scintillanti: per la prima volta sulla stessa passerella, infatti, le creazioni di Giorgio Armani, Gianfranco Ferrè, Valentino e Versace. A indossare i loro esclusivi abiti, le modelle più belle e richieste del momento, cui si alternano le esibizioni di prestigiosi ospiti internazionali.

ok, i try to translate, enjoy :D
"from the marvellous Navona square in Rome Carlo Conti and Afef conduct a night dedicated to the high fashion and to theyr more gleaming "jewels": for the first time on the same catwalk, in fact, the Giorgio Armani, Gianfranco Ferrè, Valentino and Versace creations.
to wear theyr exclusive dresses, the most beautiful and required models of the moment, wich will alternate the esibitions of the most prestigious internationa guests"

I don't think Valentino is tack at all, but he shouldn't become too pleasing, I saw him at Oprah and thought he was too eager to show off his iconic image, of course the house needs the sales and the USA is a big market. Besides: Oprah shouldn;t do these fashion things, it always ends up being too much of a promo and not very inspiring on the fashion part (anyway saw Narciso Rodriguez at Oprah? The fashion show was terrible!)

I don't know how you could say that Valentino is tacky. I think his clothes are a brilliant mix of sophistication, chic, elegance, and glamour.

Valentino is not tacky?! :innocent: Pleaseeeeee:

F/W 05
00110f.jpg
00820f.jpg

Actually it was very cool like oomarhatelier said. It was a demonstration that Made in Italy is still # 1!
During the event Carlo Conti paid homage to Gianni Versace and it was sooo sad:(

ahh Italian fashion 'event' of the Versace/Valentino kind ..topped by Carlo Ponti in Rome.. i sure wouldnt try to be there, very very tacky indeed

*(apart from Ferre who's been showing signs of 'recovery' his fw05.06 collection was quite stunning -for Ferre i mean)

perchè offendi una cosa che neanke hai visto scusa?
why are you offending a thing you haven't even seen? =)

wish i would have been there! i love all the designers that were participating......
are there more pics to be found somewhere?

They are trying proove something ...!? Maybe that they're "still stylish" Not for me. some accesories from Valentino oki oki, but armani and Versace ...ee ...NoNo)

AlbI_MH said:
perchè offendi una cosa che neanke hai visto scusa?
why are you offending a thing you haven't even seen? =)

i'm not offending, its just 'beyond' my esthetic interests plus i dont think events like that represent Italian fashion at its best.
from my point of view, these kind of fiestas are doing more harm than good to the 'modern' image of the italian industry..

ps. are we positive that Valentino Garavani the same Valentino who shows in Paris??
not sure really :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lena, I just made a quick check. Valentino Garavani is indeed the Valentino "man" himself who shows in Paris. :flower:

ha, thanks for making this clear kimkhuu :flower:

Kimkhuu said:
Valentino is not tacky?! :innocent: Pleaseeeeee:

F/W 05

why do you always have to post the 'worst' pieces from a collection to prove that the designer is tacky? speaking of worst i dotn see anything wrong with what maria carla is wearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->