No Jewelry

baRose

Reaction score
I have no jewelry and I mean none. I don’t like the look of fake or costume jewelry and can’t afford the real deal. I feel like my look is incomplete somehow. I have pierced ears, but no earrings, watch, necklaces, rings, etc. For my skin tone, gold looks much better than silver.

Does anyone have any suggestion on classic, everyday jewelry? Even if I cant afford it now, it may be something I can save for. I also miss wearing watches, but cant stand cheap watches (that I would have to replace yearly).

TIA

well, just go shopping there are a lot of great stuff, go to the best jewelry place where you live and have a look around, check out the prices im sure you'll find something, looking for jewelry online isnt the best idea. Hope I helped

I believe 14k is cheaper than 18k, so you might want to start there?

I think everyone needs a small pair of diamond studs and pearl studs. Depending on the quality and the size (and company) you can get small diamond studs for $300ish. I'd avoid Tiffany & Co., etc. because their products usually have a high markup.

I'm not sure about rings, I like the big jewels that are currently trendy right now - I'm pretty sure that the majority of women are wearing costume jewelery in regards to that, so you could go that route.

I'm not much of a necklace person, but I'd get a nice thin chain that you could put charms on. Charms are usually not *too* expensive, and it'd be like having multiple necklaces.

I think the best jewelry is what is handed down in a family and the treasures that one receives from lovers. :heart: In the meanwhile, I make my own stuff all the time. Bead stores, flea markets and pliers are my friends. Yesterday, I found these tiny pinecones in the park, painted them gold and made long dangling earrings. I got so many compliments today!

Experiment and have fun! :woot:

I like what maybeiloveyou said about earrings... But I think in the meantime you could definitely just make do with the pearls... They're great for everyday wear as well as special occasions. You could definitely find a good size pair for under a hundred dollars, and probably a lot less than that.

I don't like costume jewelry either, and I wear almost the same jewelry everyday because A, it's special to me, and B, it's all I can afford! I love Yurman and yes, Tiffany, and both brands have pieces that aren't totally overpriced.

I'll wrap this up, but also try artisan and antique pieces. Go to Etsy.com and look around, I like this site which has good prices. Try antique markets for antiques, online it can be hard to find good prices. Look for a piece that speaks to you that you'll love and don't settle for less or it's a waste of money! My problem is that I love too much.

You might consider vintage costume jewelry, or arty jewelry that isn't about replicating the look of more expensive stuff, but just being expressive. I find art glass rather exciting, regarding vintage jewelry; it doesn't have to be anything with cubic zirconia... from QVC...

I also miss wearing watches, but cant stand cheap watches (that I would have to replace yearly).

You might want to look at vintage watches, maybe an older ladies Omega. If you buy one, wear it for a while, and resell it, you won't be out much, if anything.

Thanks for the advice ladies! Pearl studs or small diamonds isnt a stretch.

The problem is, I'm allergic to 14K gold, but I can wear 18. I also cant wear silver, especially on my fingers and ears--just 18K gold and platinum.

Thanks for the watch tip too. :smile:

Mikimoto pearl studs are set in 18k, I'm going to check them out myself. I have some Tiffany studs but Mikimoto pearls are less $$ and I've read that they're quality is excellent. I think you could get a basic pair for around $200, the cost goes up as the size goes up. I love the look of pearls and I think they'd suit you.

Another option might be for you to go to an ethnic jewelry store, either Arab or Indian, because they tend to carry 22k and they price by weight so you can get something very exotic for much less then you'd think, probably basic earrings for $100-200? I have lots of jewelry from an Arabic jewelry store and get tons of compliments on it, including two rings I bought for $50 each that have red enamel (this was when gold was less expensive though). Some of the earrings screw in so make sure that you try them on, the posts can be thick for American sized earring holes. Also, the color of the gold will be different then 14k or 18k because its a purer gold. Its very pretty though in my opinion.

Also, some places have CZ earrings set in plated platinum, like Macys or Bloomingdales, can you wear that? I've seen some really cute pave ball earrings that looks 'real' to me.

Maybe also try pawn shops, just go in and ask for 18k or 22k jewelry. See what they charge by weight though, that's when you'll know if you're getting a good deal or not. I think a nice pair of gold hoops would also look good. Btw. jewelry marked 750 is 18k, and 595 is 14k, just FYI, in case you didn't know. I got an amazing pair of handmade 18k earrings while traveling once for my mom in a pawn shop outside Vatican City, so you never know!

Hope this helps!

Maybe you don't have to wear jewelry.

Brooches are great. They are kind of like jewelry, or you could think of them as fancy buttons.

And that too: cutesy buttons or clasps on your coats. Maybe even cuff links! (That'll be a stretch for the ladies, I'm sure).

Belts can spice up an outfit just like scarves, headbands, and patches (though I wouldn't want you to look like a hobo).

I never wear jewelry either.
I don't really wear earrings because I get squeamish when I put them in and I feel like they look too fancy on me :ninja:
Necklaces are ok but I would never wear bracelets or rings. Just don't like them that much :mellow:

This is a really interesting thread, because I am the exact opposite. I have hundreds of pieces of jewelry and am adding more every day, I just love it. I do have a lot of vintage pieces that I've picked up at thrift stores for cheap, so maybe you could go that route and pick up some things to test out as you wouldn't be out a whole lot of money that way.

I wear a garnet/diamond ring from my dad and a watch, nothing else. I don't really enjoy jewelery and never truly have. You don't need a necklace or a bracelet to jazz up your outfit - if you're confident enough, the outfit and you alone will be enough.

I love my costume jewelry as much as I love my "real" pieces. I see them as individuals each with something (beauty) to offer. I get as many compliments on the costume pieces as I do the real. About the only thing I don't like or wear is large fake pearls.

If you are just wanting things that are real gold and real diamonds (not designer pieces) you can go to places like KMart for their before/after Christmas sales & sometimes get things for 50-75% off.

I'm not as allergic, baRose, but I have some of the same issues (my earrings must be all gold, gold posts and silver aren't good enough). However, 14K is sufficient for me, and rings aren't an issue, I can wear silver there (although they tend to be too heavy to be comfortable). I like antique jewelry, but you need to be quite sure of the gold content ...

I've noticed that Indian and Asian jewelry often seems to be 18K or more ... maybe you could find an authentic source that would also be inexpensive??

You might take a look on www.adin.be & see what they have in 18K ... they have a really broad range of prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->