Norma Kamali to Create Line for Wal-Mart

cathy horyn commenting on her blog in the NYtimes loves the line...

Sometimes I really think that women designers are better than men. The other night—actually it was very early in the morning—I was at my local Wal-Mart superstore. As some of you may know, I’m a great fan of Wal-Mart’s fashion selection, though I think in recent years it has slumped a little. Anyway, as I was pushing my cart across the floor, I saw in the distance an unusual display and then the name Norma Kamali. I didn’t know that Kamali had done some clothes for Wal-Mart, and Wal-Mart, being adamantly low-key about such things, didn’t publicize its collaboration with one of America’s great designers. I immediately went over to the display and saw two half-empty T stands. Picked over! I saw a black jersey wrap dress with a sweet-heart neckline and a striped cotton top with a scoop neckline. I grabbed them. If Kamali had designed them, I reasoned, they had to be good, whatever the price. The price, as it turned out, was $20. The dress fit perfectly, as did the top. A few days later I returned and saw that the display had been restocked, and now there were more dresses as well as trim-looking suits.
This morning I had a long chat with Kamali about the ongoing experience. (She has a long-term contract with the mass merchant.) It was obvious that she has enjoyed the whole thing, maybe to her own surprise. “I’ve worked with so many large companies over the years, but I was impressed by how the people at Wal-Mart were able to conceptualize what I wanted to do, and by the efficiency,” she said. “It’s incredible.” She described the process as an education. When the clothes first came out, she visited a Wal-Mart in Westbury, Long Island—without any advanced publicity—and said that customers started applauding her and some asked for her autograph on their sales receipts. “I started crying,” she said. “They were genuinely excited that I even came to the store.” She also visited stores in Connecticut and White Plains, with the same reaction from customers.
I can understand why: the clothes work. They’re flattering and just a little bit unexpected. Women recognize those qualities when they see them, and they don’t see them often enough, I think. For Kamali, who also sells her signature label at stores like Barneys and Bergdorf Goodman, as well as in her own shop, it was important to design clothes for women with families to support who might need a suit for a job interview. The jersey wrap dress probably packs a little more fashion punch, as does a cotton cocoon jacket. Still, women saw the value—in the design as well as the price—and snapped them up. “I really want to do things for people,” Kamali said. “There was an angel on my shoulder when I started working with Wal-Mart—who knew? It’s an honor for me to do this.”

I've bought several things online and had them shipped to my local store: the long-sleeved striped henley, the batwing cardigan, a long sleeved top with a zebra, a vest, and two suits. The quality of the clothes is astonishingly good. Better, dare I say, than just about all of Target's Go International stuff. Most of it runs true to size and none of it "feels" like what it costs. Wal-Mart hit a home run with this line.

my mom and sis went crazy for this , the fitting is really great and pants for 10 dollars!!!
The cut and fitting and fabric were great. Your right lazypadawan it doesnt look like its from walmart , you could put the items in an upscale dept store and not know , the fitting is great , and it blows away Target's GO line which has horrible fits . I bought red palazzo pants and cocoon coat , luv it!!!

i received an email saying that the items are available at the Norma Kamali store in Manhattan...

which walmart stores are carrying the line?

are things running on the fuller side?
i assume they are since the walmart customer probably isn't a size 2...
any feedback on that?...
what is a medium like for example...?
is it comparable to say... a banana republic medium...?

the cargo pants are pretty cool....they look comfortable..
and the cardigan...I just went to the website and all three colors are sold out...:(

all the cargo pants are sold out too...:P

here is the thing that style.com wrote about it...
* can you tell i am sort of obsessed?!?!...
:innocent:

Recessionista: The Comfort Factor

November 26, 2008

Editor’s Note: Some of you may think that we at Style.com have never set foot in a Wal-Mart…and you’d be right, of course. But a friend of ours was assisting on a photo shoot in one of those states between New York and L.A. recently, forgot to pack a lint roller, and thus came across this undiscovered retail gem. Here’s one of the bargains she clued us into.

What: Norma Kamali’s Athleisure Collection for Wal-Mart—loungewear at a price that won’t make you break a sweat: $15 for a cocoon sweater and $10 for a cropped jog pant.

Why: The boundary-pushing designer forged her own trail, collaborating with Wal-Mart on a line of jersey separates, accessories, and loungewear at jaw-dropping prices. And the quality? Let’s just say our jaded editors were very pleasantly surprised.

all the cargo pants are sold out too...:P

here is the thing that style.com wrote about it...
* can you tell i am sort of obsessed?!?!...
:innocent:

Recessionista: The Comfort Factor

November 26, 2008

Please do not quote images. Thank you.

Editor’s Note: Some of you may think that we at Style.com have never set foot in a Wal-Mart…and you’d be right, of course. But a friend of ours was assisting on a photo shoot in one of those states between New York and L.A. recently, forgot to pack a lint roller, and thus came across this undiscovered retail gem. Here’s one of the bargains she clued us into.

What: Norma Kamali’s Athleisure Collection for Wal-Mart—loungewear at a price that won’t make you break a sweat: $15 for a cocoon sweater and $10 for a cropped jog pant.

Why: The boundary-pushing designer forged her own trail, collaborating with Wal-Mart on a line of jersey separates, accessories, and loungewear at jaw-dropping prices. And the quality? Let’s just say our jaded editors were very pleasantly surprised.

There is a Wal-Mart near my house....(i never shop there)...but because I want this item...I am going to see if they have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
norma is also doing accessories:
walmart.com

Attachments

• norma1.jpg
    norma1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 67
  • norma2.jpg
    norma2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 66
  • norma3.jpg
    norma3.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 67
  • norma4.jpg
    norma4.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 67
i need to see that cardigan irl.

i mean the pics look alright but you know they touch that up, and most of the time these collabs are rather crappy irl. but for $15 im so down.

I just saw some of this at my wal mart and then came on here and now I reallly want that cardigan but it dosen't look like it's available anymore:(

Got one on ebay for the same price they were selling for in store..can't wait til it gets here:smile:

swimsuits are now being sold.

i like this one for 20$. (walmart.com)

Attachments

• norma.jpg
    norma.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
she did a version of her famous sleeping bag coat for walmart. this version is 35$. picture via luckymag

Attachments

• norma.jpg
    norma.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
I got this really sweet grey cardigan with a funnel neck and the length is perfect.. a bit past my knees. It is so warm and cozy too! Very well-made. There is a tie too, like a robe but you can take it out. I must take a picture.

This seems like a decent line. I wish it wasn't at walmart though... I hate that company and refuse to support it. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonic boom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->