OCM - *oil cleansing method

i_<3_chanel

elementary.
Reaction score
been using this for a few months now & my skin is AMAZING.
baby soft . . no blemishes . . dare i say perfect! :heart:

Oil Cleansing Method

A basic tenet of any chemistry is the concept that "like dissolves like". In other words, polar substance tend to form solution with one another, and that nonpolar substances tend to form solutions with one another. Polar and nonpolar substance do not tend to form solutions with one another, however. Oil, a non-polar substance, will never form a bond with water or another polar substance, which is the mechanism by which solubility is attained. In laypeople's language, oil can only be dissolved, or broken down, by something that is like it. What is more like oil than oil itself? Oil, in itself, does not cause pimples or blackheads. Cysts, pimples, blackheads and other blemishes are a result of several factors, including heredity, hormones, bacteria, dirt and grime and buildup of foreign substances. Oil is naturally occuring in skin, and is a signal that your epidermis is effectively cleansing and protecting itself. It lubricates and protects skin, while moisturizing and minimizing fine lines and wrinkles. Using the Oil Cleansing Method allows skin to be cleaned without disturbing its natural pH levels or stripping its healthy production of oil, which even the gentlest soap or chemical cleanser can do. There are many oils that are suitable for cleaning the face, but some are better suited than others to attain a balance of cleansing and moisturizing.

Olive Oil is used for moisture, while Castor Oil is used for cleansing. Grapeseed and almond oils leave little residue, and are less oily feeling than many oils, and this combination allows the Castor Oil to travel deep into dirty pores and draw out the dirt and grime. Olive Oil is incredibly high in antioxidants, while Castor Oil is renowned for drawing and healing. Castor Oil has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use Castor Oil on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

How to Cleanse with Oil:
1. Liberally apply a layer of oil to the face. You may also apply to the neck and chest. Oil should be applied over any dirt, grime or makeup.
2. Run a face cloth under very hot water, wring it out and drape over skin. Relax for a few moments, until cloth is room temperature.
3. Massage oil into steamed pores for at least 60 seconds, and up to 5 minutes. Concentrate on trouble areas, such as chin, forehead and nose, where blackheads tend to form. Be very cautious and maintain a gentle touch, and do not scrub, or skin will be raw and tender.
4. Steam face again, using a hot face cloth to open pores and allow oil to loosen sebum trapped in skin. This step may be done a number of times, if skin is troubled or has tended toward breakouts.
5. Using a very soft face cloth (you may use the steam cloth, if it is very soft), gently wipe away all traces of oil. Again, be cautious and ensure that wiping is done very gently, or skin will become irritated. Flannel is an ideal fabric for this step, but any cloth may be used. Rinse cloth at intervals and continue to wipe away impurities and oil until face feels soft and there is no trace of oil left.
6. Splash face with cool water to close and seal cleaned pores.
7. Pat dry, and apply a very thin layer of moisturizer to face. One small drop should be plenty for moisturizing purposes. Rub between palms and massage into skin until no film is left. You may use the cleansing oil for this step. Many people find, especially during the warmer months, that the additional moisturizer is no longer necessary. The cleansing oil is enough moisture for many people's skin, in and of itself.

If you have had success with this method, and would like to simplify your routine, we recommend eliminating the first steaming session, massage face for approximately one minute, steam face through one cycle only, then wipe off oil and pat dry.
:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
i_<3_chanel said:
been using this for a few months now & my skin is AMAZING.
baby soft . . no blemishes . . dare i say perfect! :heart:

Wow i would love to try this, the less chemicals on my skin the better i say. Just a few questions though:
What oil do you use?
When you first started did it make you breakout or anything?
Do you do this twice or once a day?

Thanks for posting this, it sounds fantastic :flower:

no breakouts but my skin has never been prone to breakouts . . rarely get spots
you may have a few breakouts to start w/but it's a method where you have to persevere to see real results
i have normal skin . . . bordering on slightly oily at times but this has made my skin feel more balanced
it's fantastic. a little time consuming but very relaxing just before bed!
& worth it for the glow & smooth smooth dewy skin!

at the moment i'm using a homemade mixture of ev oilve oil, jojoba, sweet almond, apricot, coconut, rosehip & carrot oils. about 40/25/15/10/5/5 ratios roughly!
i don't measure them out just guesstimate . .

most days once . . but if i can be bothered & have time twice is good for me
if yr skin's on the oily side stick to once daily

Good description of the OCM but be careful when you start talking about castor oil. There's no good scientific data that it's effective on blemishes. So olive oil should really work just about as well.

Since starting this a few months ago my skin has been so good that I no longer wear foundation.

It's the simplest thing: I use grapeseed oil (it's very light) with a few drops of essential oil mixed in. Gently remove with a cotton pad soaked in rosewater and 10% glycerin.

In the morning I just wash with water, then apply rosewater and a few drops of the oil.

doesn't shiseido recommend an oil cleanser...
i've tried that- thought it seemed strange to remove oil with oil...
bu ti didn't have this whole 'method'..:P

i will have to try it again...
thanks!

great thread!..:flower:

cool I will look into this since it's already somethign I believe in. I use an oil based natural moisturizers (burts bees) and I find that it's really the best since a. you have to work it in which is good for promoting circulation and b.it cuts down on the oiliness of skin to use this since it's sort of 'telling' the sebum glands that you have enough oil already.

i_<3_chanel said:
wht does the glycerin do for yr skin melisande?

Glycerin is a humectant...Basically any moisturizing toner/lotion should do. :flower:

yes soft . . i think you mean shu uemura . . i've tried their cleansers too & they were fantastic for getting makeup & grime off
but they didn't leave my skin looking great . . or good enough to justify spending tht amount of $$$
& i have to admit i only really bought them bc of the pretty bottles. ha!
just looked on the shu website & they have this little tidbit . . looks like the only diff. is the steaming & adding water before massage

The super-gentle formulations mean you can use the cleansing oils to wash off make-up at night but also to refresh in the morning. Due to the penetrative characteristics of the cleansing oils, all traces of make-up, sebum, perspiration, dust and dirt vanish in a single cleansing, leaving the skin deeply cleansed, balanced and soft.

To maximize the benefits of the cleansing oils, follow the shu uemura Japanese cleansing technique:
1. With dry hands, dispense an ample amount (4-6 pumps) of cleansing oil onto palms.
2. Apply cleansing oil all over the face and neck.
3. Emulsify by adding cold or lukewarm water.
4. Massage thoroughly onto skin, breathing in the natural fragrances.
5. Rinse thoroughly with cold or lukewarm water.
i just like the idea of the all natural (cheap!) oils & deep massage . . it's very therapeutic in a way. :heart:
*plus it's long been known tht olive oil is fantastic for skin.
& i like experimenting w/diff. yummy mixes of oils. :wub:

melisande wht do you think of the grapeseed oil? i want to try tht next!

I wish I knew how to mix these oils at home.....

thx chanel & melisande...
i'm using a seaweed moisturiser at the moment that is doing wonders, so i'm almost a bit afraid to start messing with things again (my skin has been a great source of trouble...) but this sounds wonderful....
my only question would be- if you've been wearing foundation all day, and go straight to massaging the oils in, wouldn't this make a yucky mix of oil/foundation and massage the foundation and dirt into your pores too?

i will try this and report back :flower:
i think i'm going to have to play around w/ the oils until i find something perfect for me :heart:

tht's why you steam again after you massage . . to open the pores
& then wipe every last trace of the cleansing oil away w/the muslin or whtevr you use
then if you need any moisturiser after you can use the fresh oil :heart:
so simple.

*& anyone who tries it . . please let us know how yr doing . . wht oils yr using etc. :flower:

Ooh I'm going to try this tonight. Exciting - I love trying out a new cleansing regime.

I tried it last night with some mix of oils I have from the body shop....
I felt greasy and thought for sure I would wake up with a breakout of some sort but I woke up with beautiful soft skin!!

I think I will be keeping this up but may only do it at night and still wash with Cetaphil in the morning?.....
I just couldn't leave the house after giving my face an "oil bath"....
I felt too greasy right after.

Thank i <3 chanel for making this thread!!!

brokenenglish said:
I think I will be keeping this up but may only do it at night and still wash with Cetaphil in the morning?.....

It's a good idea to wash with something like Cetaphil. You really don't want to leave an oil on your face for that many hours. It probably won't hurt if you do it every so often but prolonged oil exposure could lead to acne problems.

i_<3_chanel said:
no breakouts but my skin has never been prone to breakouts . . rarely get spots
you may have a few breakouts to start w/but it's a method where you have to persevere to see real results
i have normal skin . . . bordering on slightly oily at times but this has made my skin feel more balanced
it's fantastic. a little time consuming but very relaxing just before bed!
& worth it for the glow & smooth smooth dewy skin!

at the moment i'm using a homemade mixture of ev oilve oil, jojoba, sweet almond, apricot, coconut, rosehip & carrot oils. about 40/25/15/10/5/5 ratios roughly!
i don't measure them out just guesstimate . .

most days once . . but if i can be bothered & have time twice is good for me
if yr skin's on the oily side stick to once daily

Thanks for the info!! I really want to try this it sounds great,, would it be effective if I just used olive oil and/or castor oil at first, as I dont really want to buy a load of oils and then find out it doesnt work for my skin? Great thread, I've been hunting for ages for a natural cleanser:flower:

i_<3_chanel said:
yes soft . . i think you mean shu uemura . . i've tried their cleansers too & they were fantastic for getting makeup & grime off
but they didn't leave my skin looking great . . or good enough to justify spending tht amount of $$$
& i have to admit i only really bought them bc of the pretty bottles. ha!
just looked on the shu website & they have this little tidbit . . looks like the only diff. is the steaming & adding water before massage

i just like the idea of the all natural (cheap!) oils & deep massage . . it's very therapeutic in a way. :heart:
*plus it's long been known tht olive oil is fantastic for skin.
& i like experimenting w/diff. yummy mixes of oils. :wub:

melisande wht do you think of the grapeseed oil? i want to try tht next!

oh yeah--that's the stuff..silly me...:lol:...

brokenenglish i think the body shop oils you used might have made your skin feel oily
try using pure extra virgin olive oil for a week or two first
& if you want to use cetaphil in the mornings tht's fine
doing it twice a day isn't a must! go by wht yr skin likes . .
personally i find it lovely in the shower in the morning to steam w/a little oil

chanelnumber5 when i first started i used pure extra virgin olive oil for a few weeks
it's a good way to get into it . . . the other oils aren't necessary at all imo.
olive oil is the must. :heart:

& alliecat report back!

i love the sound of this, chanel :heart:
i didn't see this mentioned, but is it suitable for dry/very dry skin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->