Pulling - Pull Letters - Asking Designers for Clothes

*Happiness*

Reaction score
I am curious about this.....

in the past and currently....whenever I have a job I usually have a budget and do mostly rentals and purchases. Now there is another stage to styling and wardrobe design.

Asking Designers to use their clothes .... pulling...

What is the procedure?

Is there a letter that needs to be drafted? If so, what should it sound like? What should it contain?

All input/feedback/comments are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks all! :flower:

You can PM me if you prefer....thanks so much everyone.

I guess no one was interested.....:lol: :P

Anyway...I figured it out....the power of the internet. Finished my shoot and it went well. :flower:

Thanks again.

i'm sorry! i just saw this and had no idea. i'm glad you found out and your shoot went well! were you the photog?

:smile:

i just saw this thread as well.... im also really interested in what you found...what was it on the internet that helped you? could you post a link? :flower:

.francesca said:
i'm sorry! i just saw this and had no idea. i'm glad you found out and your shoot went well! were you the photog?

:smile:

no, I was the asst. stylist.

mishahoi said:
i just saw this thread as well.... im also really interested in what you found...what was it on the internet that helped you? could you post a link? :flower:

I don't remember the links but I found some editorial requests (that's what they're called) that people used.

well i think it mostly goes through the showrooms here - we were looking to pull some things for a project, though in the end we went with what was already on hand. i'd say start with the showrooms, maybe and ask or the press agencies.

Some stores here just do it directly, also.

Each showroom, store etc has there own procedure.

I can tell you that I won't be too easy. Imagine a total stranger asking you if they could borrow pull from your wardrobe.

Maybe you should call them first and ask what is required, and procede from there.

You could also check various consignment shops. Shouldn't be too hard to find in LA.

Hi everyone, I was wondering the same thing as Happiness. I just got a pull letter from a photographer but I'm a bit concerned that it does not mention the publication that it's for. Is this enough being that neither the photographer nor I have ever worked with the showrooms I plan on contacting?

Probably not. As the person above you stated ... if you don't know, you should ask the showroom who they want the pull letter from.

Are you actually commissioned for a magazine? Or is it just a spec shoot ... where he's going to submit to a magazine? If it's the latter, your chances of actually getting published is almost nil (and they know that) so they probably won't lend for a longshot like that.

If the shooter is very well known by them and been published by them before then you've got a better chance of getting a pull letter from the magazine. If he's got connections or he actually has been comissioned to shoot for them, he should be able to put you in contact with the editor of the magazine ... or whoever is his contact. That is what most publicists' showrooms want ... a pull letter states that he is commissioned to do a shoot for them and signed by the editor, fashion editor, or publisher. They know that you may or may not use the actual clothing, because wardrobe is always subject to final approval by whoever is in charge ... but they will take that chance. They won't usually take a chance on a spec shoot ... but you never know, until you ask.

And someone has to take the financial responsibility in case the samples get damaged or dirty, or stolen (it happens). If the magazine doesn't take responsiblity by stating that in their letter (they don't always, but I always ask them to add that and sometimes get it), then you or the photographer will have to take it on ... and probably have to provide a credit card as a deposit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be starting my own fashion communications business soon and have been searching online for a 'pull letter' sample but to no avail. Does anyone know of any links or could post a sample her for us to see?

TIA. :smile:

Very simple. This is the format that Crystal Wright has in her book: "Hair, Makeup, & Fashion Styling Career Guide"

It must be on the magazine's letterhead .....
To Whom It may Concern:

This is to confrim that (stylist's name goes here) is working as a stylist for a photo session with (name celeb here) that (name photographer here) is shooting for (name the magazine here) on (the scheduled date of the shoot here). (Name of the Magazine) will be resonsible for all items borrowed, and will credit the items used in pbulished photos.

Sincerely,

(Name of the editor or publisher here)
(Title of the editor/publisher here)

(Phone number here.)
(Fax here.)

If it's not a celeb, then you may omit that name and only name the photographer. I find that publicists will want to see a copy of the magazine or at least their site, if it's not a well known magazine. The decision whether or not to lend and what to lend will be based on the circulation, popularity and the quality of the magazine.

BetteT, Thank you for sharing your knowledge. You and this site have helped me every step of the way.

It's hard to pull for spec shoots unless you have someone on the team who has done big stuff before.

Having an assignment makes it a lot easier, but small magazines still get lower priority than ones with greater circulation or notoriety.

I what you're doing has value then they'll give you what you need if they can. It is important to develop relationships with the stores and showrooms. They need to be able to trust you with their valuable merchandise and samples.

A major concern is liability. If you take a $5,000 dress into a forest and it gets covered in mud and ripped to shreds, who is going to pay for it. If it is a $12,000 dress, could it be replaced at all? The idea of responsibility is a big one. A lot of the magazines have insurance for this, even some photographers, but if you're shooting on spec with a newbie crew you may need some sort of short term coverage for the shoot depending on how much risk you want to take, and you may need to show proof of insurance to the showrooms before taking anything out.

I occasionally write assignment letters for our modacycle.com and modacycle.de teams if they pitch an editorial, but we still require the photographer or stylist to assume responsibility for anything they borrow. At some point I would like to get an insurance policy so we can write letters of responsibility, but I don't think I would give one to someone whom I didn't already believe was a consummate professional and assuming personal responsibility for the care of pulls in their mind, whether the items were insured or not.

Stylists: Pulling my own evening gowns for red carpet events?

I am so ignorant I don't even know if pulling is the right term, but
what is the best way to pull dresses for red carpet/high profile events, especially abroad? I do not have a stylist, and until now my manager has borrowed (pulled?) evening gowns for when I attend high profile events. But this time it will be in Indonesia, which I am unfamiliar with. The haute couture gown I wore before there was stunningly gorgeous but not my style. I will have time for one fitting once in Jakarta, but no more. A quick search shows there are pap Alberta Ferretti, Valentino boutiques among others in Jakarta, but I'm guessing they will have few evening gowns, and probably none in my size.

Do I borrow something here in Paris (perhaps a designer wishing to expand into Indonesia), or do I take the risk of finding something there (if so, how), or will it be best to contact a designer available both in Paris and Jakarta and see if they might work something out? I understand insurance is an issue.

Basically, I would like to learn in general the best way to go about this on my own, without relying on my manager or stylist, in any location.

Thank you so much, in advance.

That's actually an odd request .... because that is what stylists do ... connect with designers and pull for their clients. They have the contacts, they do all the work involved, keep the records, prep the chosen outfit, run around to get the samples and to get them back ... and they take the brunt of the negative responses, when designers don't want to lend. You might get your feelings hurt and you will have to do a lot of physical labor to get it all done in the time they allot.

But ... if you want to try ... here's the drill:

Contact their publicity/PR people in advance and ask to make arrangements with them. You will have to find a way to convince them you are who you say you are and must prove that you are attending a very public event where you will be photographed by the press. The only reason they lend is to get mention in the press ... so that needs to be your focus when you talk to them.

First, they will decide if you are press worthy enough.if your look suits their image and if they are interested in being shown at your event. If you are a major star, you will have pick of pretty much anything you want ... they will even call in samples that are out to other stylists, if you are "big" enough. However, if you are a lesser known person or the event is not of great interest to them, they may limit it to a few selections from a previous year or may just say no.

If they do lend some samples, usually they will not release them until right before the event and need you to return them the day after the event ... 24 hours is all you usually will have to get them all back. They will need them for someone else to try on. So you have to be prepared to schlep around a lot ... right before your event and immediately after. Plus, if you are not in the city where their samples are, they will ship them to you, so you will also have to steam and prep them yourself the day of the event. Then, of course, you must pack it all up and ship it back, ASAP.

I would think you'd need this time to prepare yourself ... spa, hair, makeup, etc. So it makes me wonder why you think that you have the time and energy to do all of this yourself. Your stylist is a very important part of your team .... and offers a valuable service and has the time and the knowledge to be able to get this done efficiently.

Thank you so much Bette, that is truly amazing and valuable advice.

I'm still new to this area, and I didn't mean to say I don't need a stylist, it's just that my manager has done all of this in the past, and occasionally I've worked with stylists, but sometimes I'm on my own, and I've wanted to have a little more artistic freedom, especially abroad. You are absolutely right though, that I am way too busy before and after an event and probably should hire a stylist as well. It would be okay if it's a location I'm familiar with, and I've met directly with designers here who have kindly offered to lend me dresses in Paris or in London. But in locations I have no idea about, I wouldn't even know how to find a dress, designer or stylist, let alone one I trust, so I wanted to learn my way around a little better. I'll also have the same issue coming up in Cairo and Abu Dhabi...

Advice on pulling clothes for test shoots

Hey everyone! So I've decided to try and get back into the styling field (I was a stylist assistant prior to this and am thinking of doing more of my own work), and need to do some shoots to build my portfolio so am thinking of doing some test shoots with people I used to work with (MUA, photographers, hair stylists, etc).

Does anyone have any advice on how and where I can pull clothes from? The impression I'm getting after contacting a few people around is that PR agencies are not too keen on lending for test shoots... but if you do know anyone in London that is willing to lend clothes please let me know!

Thanks a lot in advance! :smile:

Oh, I forgot to mention I have loads of experience pulling clothes for publications with no problems at all, but I'm finding it A LOT harder for test shoots seeing as it's not going to be published anywhere at all, the PR agencies are writing back why should they bother. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeddicus2137
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->