Pulling - Pull Letters - Asking Designers for Clothes

Yeah ... if there is nothing in it for the designer, the publicist won't lend any samples.

Here are the only alternatives (far from perfect) that I have found:

1. Long shot .... if the photographer and/or model is famous or well connected, they might lend. So be sure to let them know that, if you are working with anyone who is famous in your town.

2. Buy and return. Not ideal and retailers don't like it so don't get caught doing it, if you can help it ... but good in an emergency. Be very careful not to overdo it in one place or too often. They could refuse your returns, if they think you are abusing the return policy. And before you "buy", make sure that they have a cash back refund. Most department stores are OK ... but individual boutiques usually only allow you to exchange for something else and within 7 days. You must leave the tags on, or put them back on, so be careful about tags, too.

3. Lots of larger stores offer something called "studio services" for stylists. This allows you to pull as much as you want, with their blessings as long as they can resell what you return (tags back on, in excellent condition). But .... usually you must either buy some of the wardrobe (20% of what you pull is the norm) or pay a restocking fee for the same amount. You have to be approved as a stylist who may use the service in advance ... credit checks and things like that. Studio Services is usually set up to service the film industry wardrobe people, but they usually will work with fashion stylists, too. So it's not free but it's cheaper than buying everything.

4. Use new and aspiring designers. Edit very carefully .... you don't want it to look like fashion student work, so be very selective about what you use. Find them on line or at fashion schools. They often can use good professional photos for their promotional activities and love to lend in exchange for photos the they may use for this purpose.

Of course, you must involve the photographer, who must agree to allow them to use the photos they get. It's a contract between the photographer and the designer ... as to what and how many photos the designer will get, whether or not they will be retouched, and how the designer may use them (on line, in ads, in store posters and/or in their portfolios, etc.). To protect yourself, make sure that you get acknowledgements from both of them, in writing ... at least emails that show the agreement that they work out. You don't get caught up in a messy disagreement (and possible lawsuit) if he doesn't want the designer to actually use the photos anywhere to profit from them, so having them talk to each other directly takes you out if it, somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Buy and return. Not ideal and retailers don't like it so don't get caught doing it, if you can help it ... but good in an emergency. Be very careful not to overdo it in one place or too often. They could refuse your returns, if they think you are abusing the return policy. And before you "buy", make sure that they have a cash back refund. Most department stores are OK ... but individual boutiques usually only allow you to exchange for something else and within 7 days. You must leave the tags on, or put them back on, so be careful about tags, too.

this is done a lot more than everyone thinks. a lot of bloggers do this. :rolleyes: they can cover up the tags with an accessory or just film from the side. or use photoshop.

Or you just buy at tagging gun at any office supply store ... and re-attach the tags. :wink:

So here is an update:
Thanks to your advice Bette, I wrote directly to and was offered two breathtaking haute-couture dresses on loan from a major designer for an event abroad. She has a boutique in Paris, so I went there for the meeting and fitting, and I am responsible for the schlepping etc. but I don't mind, I'm kind of used to it. I deliberately chose dresses that were easier to handle fabric-wise. I will have an assistant to prep my dresses and get me dressed, though, as it is very hefty and quite difficult to get in and out of. In return, I am offering as much publicity as I can muster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! Thanks for the update.

Thanks! Ah, there was one thing I wanted to ask; I have travel insurance for my luggage, is this okay or is there some other insurance I should get?

I really don't know the answer to that. You are the client not a stylist doing business so it's a different situation. I suggest that you ask you insurance agent.

Thanks! Ah, there was one thing I wanted to ask; I have travel insurance for my luggage, is this okay or is there some other insurance I should get?

I guess the answer is written in your insurance policy. Read it carefully or call the company.

Thanks Bette and Ultramarine...I read my travel insurance policy and it covers no more than 3000 euros; the dresses are over five times that. I've been trying to find coverage online but cannot find any!! Any help appreciated.

did you call your insurance provider for an extension?

i never check expensive gowns on planes. i always carry them with me in a garment bag which i then fold. i suggest you do the same.

Thank you lucy, me too...oh perish the thought, I would never dream of letting them out of my sight...:wink: I've checked my insurance provider online and although they offer a number of options, I don't see anything of the sort...nor do any others I see online. Good idea, maybe I'll call them tomorrow anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->