Questions about Vanity Sizing and Measurements?

tayloryepp

Reaction score
When I go shopping, like I did today, I tried on 3 dresses. All were 0s and all fit me just fine.

Now, the measurements online for these size 0 dresses were:

32.5 - 24.5 - 34.5

Whenever I measure myself, I always get 34-26-36 measurements, but I wear 0s and 2s in basically any clothing I try on.

I'm also 5'9.5 and have a 34.5 inseam. If that matters.

So my question is, is it the clothes being made that are based on vanity sizing? Or am I measuring myself wrong? O_o I measure at the narrowest part of my waist and widest part of my hip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I experience this too, here in the UK.
The shops would have me believe that i am about 2 sizes smaller than i actually am, but my measurements contradict it.
It isn't your measurement technique, believe me!

This is much worse for those of us on the petite side, for we are sometimes sized out completely. I have a couple of old garments from Topshop, from around 2002, and the difference between the size 8 then and the size 8 now is phenomenal.

I have trouble finding coats hardly anywhere nowadays. I have never been a UK size 4, but according to my Asos duffle coat, I ought to be taking a UK size 2, because even the petite size 4 buries me.

Laughable, and somewhat insulting to our intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to put together a true size guide for women's nightwear.

I don't even know where to start because pretty much every size guide I have seen is different!

Can anyone recommend how to create the truest size guide? Is there some data I can find that shows average measurements by size?

Any help much appreciated.

I particularly find sizing difficult when buying online as different manufacturers sizes vary so much. They sometimes have guides to size but these are not often accurate. For instance, I have ordered two items, both described as 'small' and one would be ideal for a small child and the other for a small elephant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->