Rachel Comey F/W 08.09 NYC

SomethingElse

Press escape to continue.
Reaction score
The Label
It all started with David Bowie. After leaving a job at Theory and going it alone in menswear—basically, designing one-off’s for her gentleman friends—Rachel Comey hit the fashion jackpot when Bowie wore one of her shirts during an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman. Now, several collections and a womenswear line later, Comey’s label has grown far beyond hunky-dory.

The Look
Vintage inspired streetwear with an eye for detail—much like seventies rock icons with an affinity for eyeshadow.

The Designer
Comey’s love of detail first sated itself with a sculpting degree from the University of Vermont. From there, the native New Englander opened the progressive art gallery, Exquisite Corpse; costume designed the off-off-Broadway comic-book opera The Carbon Copy Building; landed and left her first fashion industry job at Theory; and collaborated as costume maker with the band Gogol Bordello for a work in the 2002 Whitney Biennial.

Who Wears It
David Bowie, Courtney Love, Beck, Kirstin Dunst and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Where to Buy: Steven Alan, Dernier Cri, Seven New York
Official Website: rachelcomey.com

1.jpg
2.jpg

nymag.com

i can't seem to get united bamboo out of my head looking at this. but that said,there are some nice pieces. but i dunno whats happened to rachel? she used to be the esoteric print princess who used underground artists to model for her. now she's become too 'fashion-y'.

I really like the graphic knits. :smile:

There are some other interesting pieces, too. But most of the looks are a little too thrown together looking, for my taste, TBH.

I like the pieces, I think they're definitely put together in a familiar way (like the granny sweater over the lilac floral), but I don't think that detracts from the fact that they're nice enough. Definitely seeing marc by marc.

This is like old Marc! I think I'm digging it. :wink: Not all the looks, but some...

Reminds me of Luella S/S 08, both in presentation and clothing.

i don't even care if this is reminiscent of Marc because in my opinion this is a lot better than most of the things he's done in recent years. i really love the prints and the skirts. the styling is a little too much in some places but overall it just oozes.. "cool".

thanks for posting, SomethingElse! :flower:

Overall I think the collection is a bit confused, too much references to other brands like MJ who did this kind of styling a lot better.

models look like they just came out of a crack binge and havent had any sleep for weeks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->