Ralph Steadman - Artist / Illustrator

modillustr

Reaction score
I searched his name on this art related forum and it did not appeared…..
Then, if you are a painter, a graphist, a designer, an illustrator or wish to become it one day, let your brush on the table, just leave TFS for a few minutes and discover the huge talent ot this artist, Ralph Steadman.It is pure energy, life, inventiveness in drawing, even if it is sometimes a crual and disillusioned vision of our world.(he began to work drawing humor comic strip in magazines).
How could I forget the books that he illustrated :« Alice », « Freund », « Leonard », or his wonderful « Robert Louis Stevenson » …
He has given a lot to me, viewing at his artworks, and even if it is not a fashion related artist, I hope he will give as much to some of you.
Jump !
http://www.ralphsteadman.com/
02artist1.jpg
01rabbit.jpg
02virginiawoolf3.jpg
02franzkafka.jpg
01anaisnin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i think his work would look interesting in the context of fashion illustration
his figures wearing Prada, etc. :P
i like how he distorts the figures
although maybe his ideas in mind behind each portrait is darker, i feel the faces are pretty appealing and not too serious. i like his style, and i think there's a similar face in each of the portraits --this long nose and small lips and chiseled cheekbones

thanks for introducing him here, modillustr!

Thanks for reply miss "avengers"
emma_peel.jpg

You speak about the "gonzo" named part of Ralph Steadman's site or about the man himself ? Doctor "Gonzo"?
We all live in a "gonzo" world, some people try to make it better, some are cynicals, etc. and somes others, like Ralph Steadman, show us the gonzo part of our world in his mirror.
I have also posted in Mucha thread, the world(women and artists) that he shows us in his mirror is the one we should like to see, an idealized one.Some artists escape from the gonzo part of this world , some others do (with great drawing talent concerning Steadman) with it.
Thanks for your remarks , gius,
I like your idea of Steadman working for fashion illustration, it should be interesting to see (hustle and bustle) runway backstage through his eyes.(hair dressers, make-up artists,wardrobe mistress, etc).
Some covers of his books:
steadman_alice_cover.jpg
steadman_book_of_jones_harcourt_p.jpg
steadman_freund_p.jpg
steadman_no_room_to_swing_a_cat_p.jpg
steadman_untrodden_grapes_p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member