Ray of Light : Madonna by Mario Testino

MDNA

Reaction score

itunes.apple.com

It was in 1997, for the cover of her album Ray of Light. ‘At 2pm she said, “OK, I’m tired. We’re done.” And I said, “But I don’t have the pictures yet.” She said, “You’re working for me and I say we’re done.” I said, “No, we carry on.” The picture she used on the cover came after that. She didn’t intimidate me, you see. I thought, I have to push my luck here, so I started keeking her like dis, with my foot.’ He gives me a demonstration, under the table. ‘She was, like, “Hey, what are you doing?” And I was, like, move here, move here,” and suddenly this created an eentimacy. When these people come across someone who treats them as an equal, it puts them at their ease.’
telegraph.co.uk
When Madonna asked me to do the cover for “Ray of Light”, I had not done many album covers in my career. She sent me a sample of the new record. The energy of the music was electric, I could not stop listening and dancing to it. The rhythm felt new, wonderful. And the team was great: stylist Lori Goldstein, Orlando Pita doing the hair and make up by Tom Pecheux.⁣

The start of the shoot was not fluid. Madonna wanted to finish by lunch time, but I felt I did not have the final shot. I convinced her to stay a little longer and it worked out great because all the pictures that ended up being used were the ones we took then! ⁣

Good pictures don’t come easily, especially when you are trying to do something great for an icon. Madonna has huge influence and some of us have been lucky enough to have her push us to do great things.
mariotestino

Last edited:
Ray of Light (1998)
Art direction: Kevin Reagan
Design: Kevin Reagan & Kerosene Halo
Photographer: Mario Testino
Celebrity: Madonna
Stylist: Lori Goldstein
Hair: Orlando Pita
Makeup: Tom Pecheux

discogs.com

VCPBOFHv_t.jpeg

facebook.com/madonna

These pics don’t do much for me, but, it does bring back great memories of this album, which was (and still is) fantastic! And the music is what’s most important after all, so I’m a fan of this thread. :flower:

itunes.apple.com

Frozen (1998)
Art direction: Kevin Reagan
Design: Kevin Reagan & Kerosene Halo

Frozen (1998)
Director: Chris Cunningham
Stylist: Arianne Phillips
Hair: Peter Savic
Makeup: Joanne Gair

This is not only the best Madonna album ever, but Testino was in top form during the late 90s to 2000s. I recall a cover he did with Cameron Diaz for Vanity Fair as well. Stunning.

There are more promotional images from the album shoot. I recall seeing a shot of her in a pond wearing Hindu-inspired jewellery and mehndi on her hands.

Can anyone ID the clothing credits, especially the blue ruched dress?

Thanks so much for posting MDNA!

Correction, the Hindu shoot was by David La Chapelle for Rolling Stone in 1998!

itunes.apple.com

Ray of Light (1998)

Ray of Light (1998)
Director: Jonas Åkerlund
Stylist: Arianne Phillips
Hair: Luigi Murenu
Makeup: Laura Mercier

@Benn98: The rubber tanktop is Prada, and I remember reading somewhere the blue coatdress is surprisingly, Jil Sander. Lori was by far her bestest stylist.

She only has 3 stunning album covers, despite having worked with the top fashion photographers: The untoppable, untouchable and unmatched portrait of True Blue; the unconventional and instantly-recognizable vintagey graphic design perfection of Like A Prayer; And this. All 3 are such an invaluable, ingenious lesson in timeless branding. It’s a tough choice, but I would choose this over the other 2 as such a disciplined education of refined art direction— from cover to linear notes to the space-age lenticular packaging of the limited edition album boxset.

Oh God, the all-round awfulness of Dolce today makes me forget that they had a golden era at some point. And although it was really the Galliano/McQueen era in fashion at this stage, I do remember Dolce had quite a few hits. The bombshell brocade buster and matching skirt with exposed bra straps is a look I saw the most in magazines.

Pleasantly surprised at the coat, even today. It looks more like Prada than anything else.

^^^ Dolce was on such a supreme streak of immaculate collections, going from strength to strength from 1995-2005. And the campaigns… This particular S/S 1995 campaign, by Meisel starring Linda and Tony set off such a spark in me that it will forever be untarnished as the ideal of fashion and fashion photography. Still resonates to this day:

s-l1600.jpg

Frozen
by Lorraine Day

Ray of Light

by Frank Micelotta

facebook.com/madonna

Love the album photos, I love how he gets close to her and wisely cuts the image. Anyone knows wich lens he used of wich camera? in this session?

Madonna post-Evita softened and toned down her image with 'Ray of Light.' She was down-to-earth, pop, sensual, and sophisticated.
Also, Mid 90’s Madonna somehow intersected with Princess Diana since they were both working Mario Testino.

Never tired to say it but Ray of Light is my favorite Madonna era. Everything about it was so classy, avant-garde, sensual and powerful. That was the meaning of pop perfection. Absolutely glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->