Roberto Capucci

cerfas said:
:flower: He is no doubt about it a sculptor. I have heard the term "wearable sculpture" used before but then it was only tossed around--in this instance, it is really true. Beyond the color, the form is exceptional and poetic. For some reason the color doesn't bother me so much. There are only a couple of times where I feel it goes overboard and interferes with the piece--even though they are bold and garish colors, the construction and form of his (I can't even call it clothing) works are strong enough to carry it.

Droogist, thank you so much.

Totally agree. Those are really beautiful-beyond-words pieces of art... :blink:

You're welcome, everyone. anna karina, thanks for posting that gorgeous picture.

His work definitely isn't for everyone, in fact it's hardly for anyone (if you think about his clietele)...that's one of things that fascinates me. He's such an atypical designer in every respect. Perhaps when he started out his kind wasn't so unusual in fashion, but these days he's almost an iconoclast; he shows when and where he wants, dresses who he wants, and makes clothes in complete disregard of notions of taste, trend or wearability. It doesn't even seem important that his creations be worn at all; the end is the Dress itself, the object. In that sense, he is truly a sculptor. Every single piece looks like it belongs in a museum.

jennifer~, I agree, it's quite interesting to spot the relationship between his work and Bernhard Willhelm's....colours, volumes...I even think BW's recent "anti-taste" aesthetic might owe something to Capucci's way of doing things. I don't want to turn this into a thread about BW, but I'm posting and article from fashionwindows.com that appeared when they first unveiled their partnership, I think it highlights the similarities very well, plus it's interesting to read Capucci's thoughts on ready-to-wear.

Capucci Embraces Future of Fashion
By J.J. Martin

MILAN, Mar 54, 2003/ FWD/ --- There was once a Roman couturier whose beautifully sculpted designs hung only on the racks of elite museums or on the backs of a very select group of women. But those days are long gone for Roberto Capucci, who has debuted his very first ready-to-wear collection, a collaborative effort headed up by Belgian designer Bernard Wilhelm and entrepreneur Franco Bruccoleri.

Perhaps most telling of the house's new life was the contrast between the 73-year-old designer, dapper at Friday's presentation in a navy pinstripe suit and purple satin tie, standing next to the young designer who holds the fate to his name -- clad in a logo-ed hooded sweatshirt, vintage velvet blazer and beat up trainers.

Last century's clean, optimistic classics have met the deconstructed modern design anthem for the next millennium. To both men, it's a match made in heaven.

"I've wanted to do this for a long time," said the iconic designer, beaming about the creative results. "I started a half century ago and times have certainly changed. This world is no longer made for alta moda. It is time for a new Capucci."

Wilhelm, an avant-garde Belgian designer who designed the first collection himself and will soon be joined by a team, has been a longtime fan of the Italian designer. "We may come from different places and eras, but we're both absolutely captured by the world of fantasy."

To the untrained eye, this might not have appeared to be a collection anchored in the playful, constructed vocabulary of vintage Capucci. But upon closer inspection, the sculpted details and geometric influence of the Capucci roots poured forth in subtle, often surprising ways.

A key driver for this collection was the box shape that Capucci is credited with pioneering. "Capucci's dresses could have stood by themselves in the corner," said Wilhelm of the stiff, rigidity of the vintage designs. "We've loosened things up a bit." Or rather, quite a lot. Loads of voluminous fabric, draped or poofed on blouses, jackets and trenches, presented a totally new definition for the word "boxy."

The cape, one of Capucci's signature pieces, played throughout the collection, morphing into medieval style cloaks with ample volume, or subtly appearing on split tails dangling off jackets and shirts. In sweatshirt, jersey or washed cotton materials, the capes were a far, but very modern cry from the super luxurious, gold boucle versions hanging in the Capucci archive.

"But that was exactly the point," Wilhelm explained after the show. "Capucci's designs were made for women who didn't work or didn't move. We're being very practical. This is for everyday life."

Wilhelm didn't show the head-to-toe rainbow colors that characterized much of Capucci's work, as well as that of his heyday 1960s era, but fun shots of color did appear in a canary yellow jersey blouse with wing sleeves, or a cotton candy pink draped jersey dress.

The clothes were serious, and looked like fare for intellectual fashionistas. Nothing overtly sexy or crass came within miles of this runway, just a calm sense of allure.

"That's exactly the kind of aesthetic I like," said Tara Subkoff, the Imitation of Christ designer who has been tapped, along with Sybilla, to collaborate with Wilhelm starting with the next collection. "Being sexy is being unique. It's not about showing skin or being vulgar." The American designer, who just arrived from Rome where she reviewed thousands of drawings and dresses in the Capucci archive, said she was thrilled about the project and not worried that she and Roberto Capucci do not have a spoken language in common. "We communicate with eye contact. It's more about feelings than anything else."

And for the historic designer himself? "This is exactly what I wanted," he said post-show. "They used my most important themes, especially the graphic linear lines based on Leonardo da Vinci's 'Man in a Circle.' You can see my work, only broader and for more people. This is the future of fashion."
Here's the links to the thread on that collection:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452

I wonder what will come of his presence in India...

India : Jet's new uniform - tribute to deep beauty of India
April 17, 2007

Just over a year ago, on a spring day in Rome, Naresh Goyal, Chairman of Jet Airways met with Roberto Capucci through a mutual friend.

The fact that Roberto Capucci had never designed airline uniforms before, coupled with his reputation for elegant style, is what made Roberto, the perfect choice to create something never seen before in airline uniforms. For Roberto Capucci, it was a challenge to his creativity that just added to his growing love for India and her people and culture.

The Jet Airways brief was concise. Create a new look for all categories of uniformed employees that was elegant, classic, with western style and an Indian touch: A distinctive international look capturing the Spirit of New India that a young and dynamic team would feel proud to wear.

Roberto envisioned a group of smart and elegant people rather than 'air crew’. He let the inspiration of the Indian ‘universe’, which is often present in his creations, lead him. The result was a perfect meeting point between East and West, not seen as western influence on the eastern culture but the other way around.

Roberto Capucci said “The charisma and enthusiasm of Naresh Goyal has been a constant driving force for me and this assignment has only enhanced my great passion for India. Its people and its culture”.

On the threshold of the launch of the new uniforms, Roberto and his partner Enrico Minio are very excited.

Roberto Capucci’s message to the Jet Airways’ uniformed personnel today is, “Wear it with ease, pride and your natural charm, your elegance at the workplace will enhance the image of Jet Airways like no ‘product’ can, or ever be able to. This uniform is a sincere and humble tribute to the deep beauty of India."

The result, dynamic and professional attire designed to take airline uniforms onto the fashion runaways at airports around the world.

copia_di_nove_gonne.jpg
copia_di_oceano.jpg
copia_di_primavera.jpg

36.JPG

imore.it, modaonline.it

An interesting quote from Sr. Capacci, found at http://www.answers.com/topic/roberto-capucci-1

I first became curious about fashion as a child, when I observed, with a critical eye, the clothes worn by the women of my family. My talent for design and love of colour led me to art school, the Accademia delle Belle Arti, where I came into contact with art in its many forms.

Nature is my mentor. In my garden, quietly watching with a childlike sense of fantasy, has helped to instill in me a sense of balance and a constant search for perfection, proportion, harmony, and colour. This has given me the strength to avoid being influenced by fashion trends. Following my belief has enabled me to be true to myself, but this has meant renunciation. If my work lacks a commercial aspect, it is due not only to my desire for truth. For me, creating is a great experience and, while I would not have refused to diversify in my designs, the moment is not yet right.

In this field, it is difficult to strike the right balance. To attempt a compromise between the will of the designer and that of the manufacturer inevitably leads to disappointment. On one side, industry takes a commercial stance; on the other the designer has an idealized view of fashion. Creating a design away from the reality of a woman, the dress has no form, it is merely a symbol.

In my continuing quest for beauty and purity, I concentrate initially on the basic form. During this phase I do not want to be influenced by outside factors, and I think in black and white. Next comes colour, in all its intensity, blending with the pencil lines and producing the effect that I am looking for—faithful to my concept and to the women I am addressing. Only today is my work understood and accepted.

Because it is a work of luxury, it may be enjoyed by a few, but by those few who have a sense for luxury rather than the desire for ostentation and opulence. Luxury does not necessarily mean money. One can, perhaps, say that luxury is an art, like painting or sculpture, with its own scheme. To be inspired by art does not mean to imitate it, nor to establish a recognizable connection with it, but almost to fall in love with it. This is the feeling of culture for clothes and fashion which, as I said before, is sadly lacking today. I am confident, nevertheless, that everyone wants to follow their own style rather than to conform.

One more dress, that is significantly more 'wearable'.

AbitodiCapucci2.jpg

iicedimburgo.esteri.it

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish more images of his coats and daywear were available, they are quite something, not as theatrical as his dresses.

capucci82.jpg
Capucci%206.jpg

Capucci2_g.JPG
Foto%204%20Roberto%20Capucci.jpg

capucci-eveningdress1957.jpg capucci-vogue1960.jpg
1957 and 1960 for the black and white photos above. I don't have dates on the other pieces. <Sigh>

nuovacosenza.com, operagloves.com, ice.gov.it, comune.milano.it, mentelocale.it

:heart: more

CAPUCCI1.jpg
CAPUCCI3.jpg
TN_Cappuci_2.JPG
TN_Capucci.JPG.jpg

vareseweb.it, perso.orange.fr

Attachments

• TN_Cappucci98.JPG.jpg
    TN_Cappucci98.JPG.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 45
style.com

MILAN, October 2, 2003 – Has quirkiness and nonconformity disappeared entirely from the fashion system? Not when you’re looking at Italy’s multinational Capucci project, for which Bernhard Willhelm (German-born, Antwerp-trained, Paris-dwelling) oversees ready-to-wear, Sybilla (Spanish) designs the once-a-year evening collection, and Franca Maria Carraro (Italian) does the shoes. For spring, Willhelm had fun with the Roman founder’s extraordinary way with volumes. “I was playing with the idea of boxes last season,” he said. “This is sort of a continuation of that, but now I’ve added circles.” Lines of thick, wavy cord stitched onto the hems of short dresses were another, less conceptual borrowing from the archive.
The cutely eccentric flat shoes and a bright emerald plissé dress, whose ballooning sleeves were suspended from shoulder straps, made for the presentation’s best moments. Willhelm’s personal skew toward the eighties still comes through in an insistence on stripes and leaf-green shades. For curiosity value alone, the Capucci project is a line worth knowing about, but in actual fashion practice, these are strictly clothes for girls who will make their artsy way through the season, avoiding anything so obvious as a trend.

100120518.jpg
100120522.jpg
100120524.jpg

100120525.jpg
100120526.jpg
100120547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i loved bernhard at capucci. he seemed to breath some life into milano. too bad his stint was short-lived.

Wow, Bernhard seemed almost perfect for Capucci, I love those looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cerezitas
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->