Salesgirl who didnt recognize Naomi Campbell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people who don't know who "the Beatles" are. So I'm not surprised
that there are people who don't know who Naomi Campbell is.

happycanadian said:
ok.

no offense, spike, but you're just wrong.

whether or not she's beautiful is certainly a matter of opinion.
whether she has "a crappy walk" or the most famous strut in modelling history is also just a matter of opinion.

however, shelf-life or not, Naomi has been working steadily for 20 years. she still gets major campaigns like Louis Vuitton and Iceberg, and has literally been on the covers of more magazines than ANY other black celebrity (yes, that includes Michael Jordan, Oprah, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, etc etc).

she is at the very least as famous as any other model who has ever existed. people all over the world, whether they care about fashion or not (unless they are very very young, perhaps), recognize the name Naomi Campbell. she is a legend who STILL works and is constantly involved in international events.

so to say that you see no reason why anyone outside of fashion would know her is simply incorrect. It is NOT a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fame and she is VERY famous the world over and that is pure fact.

:flower::flower:

*can i get an AMEN?*
I'm sorry, I didn't know an opinion could be incorrect.

I also didn't know that the world had a representitive speaker. Are you speaking on behalf of the entire world, starving third-world countries included, or just the tabloid obsessed western world.

I don't deny she is famous, so your arguments to the contrary are pointless, however, I do stand by my assertion that she has absolutely no reason to be famous.

What has she accomplished that's so remarkable? Absolutely nothing, she has no talents to speak of, hasn't faught for any kind of socio-political change, she hasn't even killed anybody. Her fame is based solely on fame itself, unless you count her numerous run-ins with assistants, which still doesn't warrant idolization as far as I'm concerned.

It's exactly your kind of thinking that creates a diva, but in this case, the diva in question has a swollen ego and nothing to back it up. She's been in the biz for 20 years because if designers feel like their show needs a buzz, they cast her, she gets editorial and campaign work because for some reason the fashion world clutches to th supermodel era like it was the second coming of Christ. Point is, she is a washed up women, nearing Forty, who doesn't belong throwing a tantrum because a salesgirl clearly couldn't give a flying rat's-a$$ who she is. I could understand someone who does something to earn their fame, meaning they've actually done something on a world scale, being insulted because someone doesn't recognize them...but not someone who's famous solely because of who she used to be.

Can I get an Amen?

^^^ Lmao :rofl: you took all the words right out of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spike413 said:

I also didn't know that the world had a representitive speaker. Are you speaking on behalf of the entire world, starving third-world countries included, or just the tabloid obsessed western world.

I don't deny she is famous, so your arguments to the contrary are pointless, however, I do stand by my assertion that she has absolutely no reason to be famous.

What has she accomplished that's so remarkable? Absolutely nothing, she has no talents to speak of, hasn't faught for any kind of socio-political change, she hasn't even killed anybody. Her fame is based solely on fame itself, unless you count her numerous run-ins with assistants, which still doesn't warrant idolization as far as I'm concerned.

It's exactly your kind of thinking that creates a diva, but in this case, the diva in question has a swollen ego and nothing to back it up. She's been in the biz for 20 years because if designers feel like their show needs a buzz, they cast her, she gets editorial and campaign work because for some reason the fashion world clutches to th supermodel era like it was the second coming of Christ. Point is, she is a washed up women, nearing Forty, who doesn't belong throwing a tantrum because a salesgirl clearly couldn't give a flying rat's-a$$ who she is. I could understand someone who does something to earn their fame, meaning they've actually done something on a world scale, being insulted because someone doesn't recognize them...but not someone who's famous solely because of who she used to be.

Can I get an Amen?

Aww man, too bad I can't give you karma again. :(

Nemova said:
If you said "Pelé" or "Michael Jackson" I'd have no choice but to agree. But Naomi Campbell? How many people recognise the name Naomi Campbell outside of the fashion world? You guys have to get your heads out of the box and have a look at the real world. Reality check, please.
well, admittedly, i have not spoken to the rest of the world. however, neither have you.

i am from canada where most everyone would know Naomi Campbell, and i'm presently teaching english in South Korea where ALL of my students (with the exception of the children) know who she is. So, perhaps not the entire world, but it's no more presumptuous of me to say that they DO than it is for you to say that they don't.

Spike, an opinion can't be incorrect, however when you say "I see no reason why anyone outside of the fashion world would know her" -- that is not opinion so much as it is just ignorance. she's an international celebrity, therefore people are likely to know who she is.

and NO i was not speaking on behalf of the third-world countries, however she wasn't buying a sweater in Botswana, was she? no, i didn't think so.

your argument that her fame is based solely on fame itself , that she hasn't accomplished anything worth noting and that she has no talents to speak of. well, fine. that's your opinion --- and if you think Naomi has no reason to be famous, then surely you must feel the same way about ALL models, because she's achieved as much or more than the most famous Gisele, Kate, Cindy, Linda, Claudia, etc etc etc.

Spike413 said:

Can I get an Amen?

No you can not get an amen! It has been apparent for years just how much Naomi Campbell has contributed to this world in the forms of charitable service. She has worked for the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund for years, supported ALTHA, Fidel Castro's Cuban Children's Fund, raised funds with the Dalai Lama for UNESCO, was the 1st face for the Fashion Targets Breast Cancer campaign and most recently held a hug charity fashion show and donated the proceeds to Hurricaine Katrina victims. She has also participatd in numerous charity functions to support AIDS relief!

And in your ignorance you ask what has she done. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Naomi Campbell has also bust the doors wide open for thousands of models of color to be welcomed in the world of fashion! She was the first model of color to appear on Time magazine, British Vogue and French Vogue. She continues to dominate in the worlds of fashion and modeling because she is the best at what she does. She is not washed up in fact! She is also a human being and being a black woman faces issues in the media that other models who have done so much worse get accolades for (ie. Kate Moss who has done drugs with her child being present and she is still working!)

Oprah also faced the same discrimination at a shop in Europe where she was not recognized and they denied her admittance into a shop. And Oprah was pissed! So Naomi's response was that of a human woman with feelings! Stop believing all the hype and every stupid thing that someone puts out in the media about someone that you do not know! I can go on and on but I will stop there...

Can I get an Amen to that?

Amen,baby,amen. Forgive them for they(not included-CC and HappyC)know not what they say:innocent:. BTW,CC this beautiful barrier breaking Super has tons of other career firsts not posted! But hey this is the wrong side of the tracks,can't believe HP is even over here:lol:. This little thread will not hurt her legacy or career which is great. So moving on and leaving the madness.

lawd knows you betta PREACH child!! you ain't neva told a lie! whooooweee! nothin but a word!

She's such a b!tch. Always has been and will always be I guess.
Well she's not getting younger and her time is almost up.
I'm surprised the salegirl didn't recognise her though. Naomi's pretty famous.

I have to say that’s absurd esepcially coming from someone who's never met her:lol::huh:. Just as there are those who have that kinda mentality,its 25x more that will say the opposite. You don't have tons of friends(from Nelson Mandela to Quincy Jones to Turlington) and work an unprecedented 20 successful years straight in this business by being even half as bitchy as some would like to think. Its just commonsense,but hey there are haters in the world thus the display on this thread.

^Beating people up makes you a b*tch in my book...

happycanadian said:
ok.

no offense, spike, but you're just wrong.

whether or not she's beautiful is certainly a matter of opinion.
whether she has "a crappy walk" or the most famous strut in modelling history is also just a matter of opinion.

however, shelf-life or not, Naomi has been working steadily for 20 years. she still gets major campaigns like Louis Vuitton and Iceberg, and has literally been on the covers of more magazines than ANY other black celebrity (yes, that includes Michael Jordan, Oprah, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, etc etc).

she is at the very least as famous as any other model who has ever existed. people all over the world, whether they care about fashion or not (unless they are very very young, perhaps), recognize the name Naomi Campbell. she is a legend who STILL works and is constantly involved in international events.

so to say that you see no reason why anyone outside of fashion would know her is simply incorrect. It is NOT a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fame and she is VERY famous the world over and that is pure fact.

:flower::flower:

*can i get an AMEN?*

You sure do get from me,well said!:flower:

Come on,Jadee:lol:. Where you there? Do you know the facts? Do you know about the other party and their actions(just going by what some lowly and fired maid had to say)? Absolutely not so leave the judging to those that can truly call it a profession. Just going by appearence,I mean some could say that about the posters here,true or not/right or wrong. But thats it,a good laugh I got today provided by many here.

ccdelta said:
No you can not get an amen! It has been apparent for years just how much Naomi Campbell has contributed to this world in the forms of charitable service. She has worked for the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund for years, supported ALTHA, Fidel Castro's Cuban Children's Fund, raised funds with the Dalai Lama for UNESCO, was the 1st face for the Fashion Targets Breast Cancer campaign and most recently held a hug charity fashion show and donated the proceeds to Hurricaine Katrina victims. She has also participatd in numerous charity functions to support AIDS relief!

And in your ignorance you ask what has she done. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Naomi Campbell has also bust the doors wide open for thousands of models of color to be welcomed in the world of fashion! She was the first model of color to appear on Time magazine, British Vogue and French Vogue. She continues to dominate in the worlds of fashion and modeling because she is the best at what she does. She is not washed up in fact! She is also a human being and being a black woman faces issues in the media that other models who have done so much worse get accolades for (ie. Kate Moss who has done drugs with her child being present and she is still working!)

Oprah also faced the same discrimination at a shop in Europe where she was not recognized and they denied her admittance into a shop. And Oprah was pissed! So Naomi's response was that of a human woman with feelings! Stop believing all the hype and every stupid thing that someone puts out in the media about someone that you do not know! I can go on and on but I will stop there...

Can I get an Amen to that?

You sure do wow well said its so ignorant to ask what has Naomi done for fashion world and it shows how misinformed is the person who made that point!:flower:

CelineChic said:
You're speaking from the point of view of someone who is into fashion. As crazy as it may seem, a considerable part of the world's population is not intrested in fashion and wouldn't recognize a model even if she hit them in the head (joke intended).

Would you consider it reasonable if a NASCAR fan thought you were crazy for not being able to recognize a famous NASCAR driver?

I know what you mean but i disagree there is no way in hell you can compare fashion and Nascar,fashion personnalites are bettre known than Nascar drivers so i think its not the same thing but i get what you mean!:flower:

happycanadian said:
well, admittedly, i have not spoken to the rest of the world. however, neither have you.

i am from canada where most everyone would know Naomi Campbell, and i'm presently teaching english in South Korea where ALL of my students (with the exception of the children) know who she is. So, perhaps not the entire world, but it's no more presumptuous of me to say that they DO than it is for you to say that they don't.

Spike, an opinion can't be incorrect, however when you say "I see no reason why anyone outside of the fashion world would know her" -- that is not opinion so much as it is just ignorance. she's an international celebrity, therefore people are likely to know who she is.

and NO i was not speaking on behalf of the third-world countries, however she wasn't buying a sweater in Botswana, was she? no, i didn't think so.

your argument that her fame is based solely on fame itself , that she hasn't accomplished anything worth noting and that she has no talents to speak of. well, fine. that's your opinion --- and if you think Naomi has no reason to be famous, then surely you must feel the same way about ALL models, because she's achieved as much or more than the most famous Gisele, Kate, Cindy, Linda, Claudia, etc etc etc.

Aww honey, your assumptions are so poor they make me feel bad. I live in Brazil, where probably only 2% of the population knows who the heck Naomi is. I guess I can speak for other Latin American countries and say that most of them don't know who she is either. So we have a good portion of the world's population covered, what about the rest? Do you know someone in China who's not into fashion and still knows who Naomi is? Or in Ghana or Sri Lanka? I'd like to see that.

Your concept of an international celebrity is, to say the least, a bit twisted. An international celebrity is someone who's recognisable by the majority of the world's population in spite of their primary occupation or area of interest/influence. When I mentioned Pelé, I was certainly talking of an international celebrity, a man who's recognised by his image as much as by his name. If you show his picture to someone in Angola they'll probably know who he is (I guess I can assume that based on the fact that it DOES happen - ask any brazilian journalist and they'll tell you). Now, I'm not sure the same would happen if you showed them a picture of Naomi. If you get out of your little first world niche and take a lot at the rest of us poor (no pun intended) mortals, you'll realise that Naomi is just a meaningless name.

OMIFAN9 said:
Come on,Jadee:lol:. Where you there? Do you know the facts? Do you know about the other party and their actions(just going by what some lowly and fired maid had to say)? Absolutely not so leave the judging to those that can truly call it a profession. Just going by appearence,I mean some could say that about the posters here,true or not/right or wrong. But thats it,a good laugh I got today provided by many here.

Of course I wasn't there silly sausage! LOL Okay let's agree to disagree :flower:
I don't care one bit about Naomi anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
molly07
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->