Scott Schuman (The Sartorialist) and Garance Dore

Annoying as it may be, if young people making opinionated fools of themselves online goes one tiny step towards making sure someone has the awareness - and strength of mind - to stand up for themselves in a bad situation, then it's been worth it.

I'd rather the world was composed of young girls talking under-informed nonsense about the potential for women to be exploited, than of young girls relating their stories of how they were terribly exploited.

It's precisely because young women don't have life experience, that they need to draw on other forms of confidence to see them through the situations where someone is going to take advantage. Being opinionated might seem a flimsy and laughable way to approach the world to anyone old enough to have gained wisdom instead, but it's better than making no defense at all.

Not when we are talking of children tackling subjects that a priori should not even have an opinion about. We do not live in cultural vacuum, this idea that has been hammered that everything in a certain way can be subjective is a false one. Societies are only work when a set of standards has been generally agreed on. Children should not tackle p*rn*gr*phy, Tavi, as a typical young teen, has absolutely no concept of the power relations involved in any form of sexual relations, that's exactly why we have an age of consent that more or less in all western countries around 16, so what makes everyone think her opinion may be in any way or form be relevant in this subject?
Don't get me wrong, Tavi is not to blame in here, the people to blame are the ones that spread her word, the fact that she thinks she is experienced enough to give an opinion about this is typical teen behaviour. When i was a teen i said the most outrageous things about all sort of subjects with the utmost conviction, but i just thank the Gods no one was stupid enough to listen and that i grew up in an age I had no outlet for my rants.
I do not agree AT ALL with Scott when she say that people focus on Tavi to mock the blogging community, I just think the media focus on Tavi because she looks like a very very young child sprouting grown up opinions, she's "different". If she didn't have this granny/child thing going on, and looked 18, like a lot of 15 year olds do, no one would pay attention. She found her niche, good for her, I do not understand why Scott thinks it's a slur upon himself.

Says who?

I think every 14 year old girl should have an opinion about how an older male photographer should properly relate to a young girl. If teenage girls don't have views on these things, how in the world are they to fend off predators?

Yes, there are age of consent laws, but they vary. And people break them. In some countries/states, the age of consent is 14. It's not like the law makes sense, or is based on biological fact.

I believe in old souls, so I think chronological age is by no means the only measure of experience.

One has only to turn on talk radio in the US to hear adults of quite advanced ages spouting all manner of nonsense.

Agree with tigerrouge that it's much better and safer to find your voice than to not find it, even if you say some stupid things (and you very likely will--I certainly did). Telling children to be seen and not heard is not safe for them. Children must have a voice.

^ fashionista-ta, I think Les_Sucettes was talking about a child judging the artistic merits of Richardson's work, not implying that she shouldn't think that sexual harassment is bad or wrong (of course it is!). I personally believe that some of his work has merit, but its content and subject matter is no excuse to pressure a model (especially the ones unrepresented by an agency) into sexual favours. On the flip side, it's also beyond ridiculous to say "oh, look at his photographs, the women in them must have been exploited!", which is what she did.

Scott might say obnoxious things sometimes and he is effectively the chief paparazzo for fashion insiders now, but even he isn't as bad as that. Maybe he didn't put his point across in the best way, but the essence of what he says is true - old soul or no, age and life experience do go a long way towards helping an individual gain perspective.

That wraps up the Tavi/Terry discussion as this is the Scott and Garance thread and it has veered off topic. Further comments will be deleted, please take it to PM or profile comments. Thank You.

Scott might say obnoxious things sometimes and he is effectively the chief paparazzo for fashion insiders now, but even he isn't as bad as that. Maybe he didn't put his point across in the best way, but the essence of what he says is true - old soul or no, age and life experience do go a long way towards helping an individual gain perspective.

Well then all I can say is that it's just too bad that his life experience didn't help him gain perspective to put his point across in the best way. Wicked, right?
There are really so many things he shouldn't criticize, specially without looking into his own flaws first... Doesn't he have a publicist who can tell him to control himself in interviews? because this goes way before the tavi incident. when it's not bloggers, it's how much money he makes, or how he is so full of himself, or worse: he is drunk talking about his sexual life with garance... :unsure:

Sartorialist Founder Scott Schuman Airs Grievances in GQ

SCHUMAN’S PEEVES: Good old print magazines keep getting the shaft these days. Even in their own pages. “It shocks me when young kids still say, ‘I want to do a magazine,’” Scott Schuman said, in the June issue of GQ. “Really? Do you want to do a magazine because you want to be an editor — what you think that life is, that romance — or do you want to communicate? Because if you want to communicate, why the f--k would you put all those obstacles in your path and have to print pages, as opposed to going right on the Internet and actually communicating?”

The Sartorialist founder goes on to discuss other issues, including his complicated relationship with Dolce & Gabbana. The brand seated him front row along with Garance Doré, Tommy Ton and Bryanboy, at a D&G spring runway show in 2009. At the time, the decision to move print editors from the front row for bloggers was news and represented a “paradigm-shift moment” for fashion journalism.

To be fair, it was an over-the-top stunt that rightly humiliated Schuman (the bloggers were given laptops on little podiums), but it appears he’s still not over it. “They got a humongous amount of press,” Schuman said. “‘Look, we brought the bloggers in and gave them the front row. Look at the dancing-monkey bloggers!’ I could barely bring myself to sit down.” He adds, “Like, ‘Ugh, I don’t want everyone looking at us.’ Like, ‘Oh, look at the cute bloggers! Isn’t that cute! Are they playing Angry Birds?’ When you’ve got Ron Frasch behind you going, ‘I spent two f--king million dollars on D&G’s last collection, and I’m sitting here? For these little schmucks?’”

Speaking of Frasch, Saks Inc. president and chief merchandising officer, Schuman has a bone to pick. They were introduced at a party years ago, while Schuman was a stay-at-home dad. “He’s looking right over my head,” Schuman recalls, “and I remember thinking, I’m gonna make this f--king blog so he looks at me when I’m talking to him.” It appears the two men have a more cordial relationship now. In front of the GQ reporter, this exchange takes place:

“Hey, Ron.”

“Hey, Scott,” said Ron, politely but without slowing down.

“Happy New Year, buddy,” Schuman said. (amy wicks/wwd)

^To me, he comes off as quite obnoxious in that interview. Maybe it was a bad day for him? He sounds like he feels so entitled.

to be honest,he is no position(not to mention he has no experience to draw his pompous words from) to comment about print mags or anyone's desire to start one. his sanctimonious attitude about blogs,particularly his blog,often speak on a certain subject not multi-content like a print magazine does.

God, I hate this ******* and his superiority complex. It'll never cease to amaze me to see how obnoxious he always is. Get over yourself Schuman, it's been a while since your work has been remotely interesting.

i don't see how he can be angry at the SAKS executive simply because he was foot taller than him. do all men really care about this height issue or only very vain, insecure men? :unsure:

^To me, he comes off as quite obnoxious in that interview. Maybe it was a bad day for him? He sounds like he feels so entitled.

He seems to be extremely consistent in interviews ... I think this is just his personality :innocent:

i wonder why he's so adversarial towards brands and other executives at companies...

is it because he doesnt have the gold plated health plans, 401k, stock options etc? and he think he deserves them?

bloggers don't get these things - they have to pay for them on their own...:lol:

^ I think he's threatened. He wants to be big and important, but how many short executives do you know? With some of them, sometimes I think height is their only qualification :lol: So he has to carve out his own niche, and he has. I think that's probably the reason it sounds so overblown when he discusses his work--he really wants it to be important. As important as Ron. If not more so :wink:

If I were a blogger and they put me in the front row with a laptop on a stand, I'd probably be pleased I had such a good view, and laugh at the rest of it. He's taking it all so seriously because his status is really, really important to him.

I think he wanted to be in the front row with Ron, not with other bloggers :wink:

My own belief is that at the end of the day, what's important is not the job you had or the niche you carved necessarily, or what your status was, but what kind of person you were, and what kind of impact you had on others.

idmagazine via lemeray

Saw this picture with Scott in the front row at Burberry (no laptop stand this time) and had to share ... check out the look on his face.

Attachments

• Scott at Burberry lemeray.jpg
    Scott at Burberry lemeray.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 154
New interview with wild comments:

SARTORIALIST IN SOUTH AFRICA: Scott Schuman, aka The Sartorialist, flew into Johannesburg last week as the headline guest of African Fashion International, organizers of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Africa. In between fashion shows, checking out Soweto, venturing downtown and visiting a mall or two, he found time to talk about international street style, upping one’s game and why Bill Cunningham should really do a book.

Upon being told there were moans of protest from South African fans for putting up pictures he’d taken of South Africans in “inner city” settings, instead of taking better-dressed and affluent people in designer clothes, he expressed surprise. “Really, they’re moaning? They’re mad? Why? Well, I would say that the people who do dress in that other way [in designer labels], they’ve just got to bring their game on.

“I’ve only met a few people here that I’ve maybe wanted to take pictures of. Johannesburg reminds me of a lot of cities, like Moscow, Buenos Aires and in Poland, places that had some kind of political or economic difficulty, or they were a communist country for a long time...A lot of the women here are very beautiful, very perfect in every way, but it lacks a certain amount of charm. It’s almost aggressive. But the kids I’ve been seeing, young adults, young, cool women and guys, they just have more charm about them. It’s everything, the way they stand, the way they look at you, the makeup’s not aggressive, the way they dress, they look beautiful, but it’s not a hard package. A little fragility I think is always more charming.”

Here is what he had to say on other topics:

On blogs and retail: “Things like blogs and the Internet are so important now. Because there are a few blogs there like mine, and Tommy’s [Tommy Ton of Jak & Jil], and some of these other people who have more international blogs. I think what blogs have been able to do is make fashion local.”

On shooting street style during Fashion Weeks: “Now there are so many people doing it, it’s not so easy. To still find new people and shoot something that’s been shot by 20 other people….Everyone now knows what Anna dello Russo wore that day. My challenge is to shoot it better, you know. To shoot it more interesting than Anna, to shoot that third-level editor that nobody took the time to shoot. So that makes that part of it more difficult than taking the chance and coming down here [to Johannesburg]. I’m still going to shoot at my level. I’m not going to water it down to come here. If I get zero, I get zero. I might only be getting one or two shots a day, which is fine.”

On Bill Cunningham: “You know, I hate to say it, I’m sure everyone thinks he’s a lovable guy, and I’m sure he is. We’ve never had a conversation. The only conversation we’ve ever had is when I’m trying to shoot someone and he says, ‘Hey, get out.’

“The only influence he’s had on me is that I want to be doing that when I’m 80. That’s the only thing. I want to be on the bike, I want to be doing that at 80.

“His photographs, I think they’re nice, they’re just a totally different style from me. I don’t think they’re bad, really just a different style. He’s really reportage, shoot, snap, he’s just going, going, going. His only influence has been in the quality of the effort he puts in and the joy — you can literally really see it on his face, the joy that he still has for fashion.

“At the same time, I think there has been this whole myth about him that’s frustrating in the sense that you know he won’t do a book, which is fine if you don’t want to do a book, but you know, if you’re not going to do a book, you can pull a hundred different images of your career.…Then when he’s gone, which I hope will be a long time from now, then those stories are gone. I mean, you know you have a certain responsibility if you’ve been there for a really important period, for 40 years, and you haven’t written very much on all that, then you have, maybe not a responsibility, but it would just be very nice to have someone go through the time period and pick out ten photographs from the Seventies, ten photographs from the Eighties and say, “All right, I remember the first time I saw someone wearing Spandex pants on a thing and I thought, oh my God, cover that girl up,” or something like that. There’s just stories he could tell that probably will never be told. We’ll lose those stories because he just doesn’t want to do it.”

http://www.wwd.com/media-news/fashi...7686?gnewsid=23fc79ff04e702a25cb4490a49385e2a

To be frank, I don't see anything wild in those paragraphs. I haven't been to Poland or Johannesburg, or Moscow, but he's right on point when it comes to Buenos Aires and their approach to beauty and style, they're all genetically blessed people but there's definitely a difference that's quite generational and that's got to do with people that were young during their coup d'etat and you do see traces of that history.. the social/class division and economic/political collapse, exactly in their aggressiveness to consume and attach themselves to their status against all odds. So you do see that natural beauty in them, but hidden behind some sort of turbulence.. and the younger generations, although they do know difficulties, do happen to have a purer, slightly more thoughtful approach to how their appearance comes across.. which makes them even better looking.

I don't know what kind of pictures he took in South Africa but lol at wealthy people getting overlooked and getting insulted about it.. speaks a lot precisely about what he's talking about. :lol:

I thought his attitude toward Bill Cunningham was strange, considering that he seems to be mad at Bill for not acknowledging him or being rude...but he does the same to young street style photogs, from what I see written.

i don't see why he feels it is necessary to add in the little dig about Bill Cunningham. It wasn't necessary to keep saying the word "only", even if that was the truth. if you take out the word "only", the message is still the same, but it sounds much less insulting. He just sounds like a brat to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->