Self-cut hair

I used to cut my own hair, but now my best friend for almost 2 years is a hair dresses so she does everything with my hair for free..or I have to make her dinner^^ :rofl:

I used to when I had long layered hair, but now its so short, I can't see the back. Too difficult. Any short haired ladies cut their own hair here?

same here. when I had long hair, i cut it myself. but now i am too scared to ruin it completly.

edit: does anyone have pics of your self-cut hair?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've cut my hair for some time now. Never anything drastic though (except the time when I chopped it all off...), just evening out or layering a bit. However, it's really hard/impossible to cut from the back by yourself so I do need to go to the salon sometimes...

Anyhow, I cut myself a fringe today!

unledmj.jpg

I'm still a little bit undecided if I like it or not, but my hair grows really fast so I don't have to worry about it.

By the way, it's also a good idea to buy a cheap wig and practice the technique if you're cutting your hair for the first time. Also you get to try the wig on to see if the cut fits you or not :smile:

I feel like this thread is made for me - I cut my own hair, I've been growing it out, and have been self-trimming for awhile, but in general I only actually get a cut in a salon maybe once a year. The rest of the time I go it alone using my sewing shears since they're the sharpest. What I do is I section off my hair, and then twist the sections with my fingers, and then just snip off the very very end of the section. I do this all over my head, or usually just the areas I want shorter. The smaller the twists, the less choppy it looks. I take off max maybe 1/3rd of an inch. I do this a few days in a row carefully to make sure I get my whole head and that I don't take off too much at a time, then as a final touch I do the sections again with my thinning shears, because I hate 'choppy' haircuts.

It's a kind of complicated process, once my hair is longer it will be easier for me to trim myself. I maybe trim it this way once every 3 or 4 months, but try to go as long as possible.

when i had very short layered hair i used to cut it myself almost weekly, especially as it was growing out... i'll trim up my own hair now or hack at the bangs a bit, and i dye my roots myself every few months as well, but mostly tend to leave it be and pay for a really good haircut every 3-4 months instead. i used to hair model and it turned out to be really good because often they are teaching the class how to create your haircut, and you can pay attention and learn how to do the upkeep on it yourself!

$40 for a haircut! here in new york i can't get a decent cut + colour without dropping $300! ridiculous!

It is ridiculous, that is mostly the reason why I self-cut my hair. When I was in college I paid $25 for a cut, I really miss that.

I'd like to learn how to cut/trim my long straight non-layered hair so that it ends in a straight line. I tend to get one side longer than the other. I don't really care how it looks up close, just don't want to look like I'm tilting my head to one side when I'm standing up straight...

I haven't found a good tutorial on youtube... Are mirrors the answer?
My hair is growing very fast so I usually trim it every other week if I do it myself, or ask someone else if they can cut it a bit more. I would like to find an easy method so that I can trim when I feel like it rather than having to wait for my relatives to cut it...

Last time I just grabbed it with one hand behind my back without looking and just by one cut chopped the ends... So I'm wearing it in a bun right now :blush:

gawd with fine hair it's such a bad idea. i so envy people with thick hair who can cut it themselves

I only trim my bangs from time to time, but even that can turn into a disaster. :doh: I have longish sideswept bangs and a few months ago, I cut them too high and they were straight-across, blunt bags for 2 months, which does NOT suit me! So it's a bit risky!

^Yep, same here. I like my bangs to be side-swept and slightly layered. Sometimes it turns out great when I cut them myself and it looks much better than when my hairdresser does it (who often does a horrendous job with my bangs, too), and sometimes I completely fail :lol:

I have been cutting my own hair for years now,( I have short hair) sometimes im really satisfied, other times not so much :smile: but my hair grows back fairly quickly so its never that bad. One of the reasons why I started to cut it myself ist that in fact I could not find a hairdresser that i would be satisfied with and even when i would have my hair cut in a salon it would still end up being the same percentage of good and bad so I might as well not pay for it...

I cut my own hair, I've gotten really good at it over the years, the trick is to only take off a really tiny amount. Also I have blunt bangs, which i trim using scotch tape to make sure it is straight across and perfectly blunt.

I've been cutting my own hair for awhile and I've gotten very lazy at it... Right now it's all one-length and it looks like a triangle around my head, when I brush it out. Someday I'll trust it with a pro, however.

My hair is straight and I'm trying to grow it out so I figure as long as the ends don't look too weird it's fine. I'm trying to resist trimming lately so that I am not cheating myself out of length, but if I find a split end I just snip the end of that strand off and that's it.

I cuted my hair by myself once...My hairstylist told me that I didn't do great job, but nobody else noticed since I have a really long hair :lol:

I am envious of those who cut their own hair. I am in dire need for a trim, it`s been put off for waaaaaay too long

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syailendra Aditya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->