Self Service #60 S/S 2024 by Tess Petronio, Alasdair McLellan & Juliette Abitbol

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Cover #1 of 3 with Bibi Breslin by Tess Petronio:

Cover #2 of 3 with Mathilda Gvarliani by Alasdair McLellan:

Cover #3 of 3 with Ella McCutheon by Juliette Abitbol:

The first two covers do not appeal to me at all. The clothes are awful. The third one is just passable.

The duran lantink outfit works so well! First cover is shot by Tess petronio? Is she the daughter of? Another nepo case?

The duran lantink outfit works so well! First cover is shot by Tess petronio? Is she the daughter of? Another nepo case?
She is the daughter of Ezra Petronio and Suzanne Koller, founders of this magazine. She has done a few eds with her mother Suzanne in the previous issues already.

I was hoping for something more grand or interesting given this is their 60th issue. Hope the content makes up for the covers.

I was hoping for something more grand or interesting given this is their 60th issue. Hope the content makes up for the covers.

I agree. except alastairs mclellans cover I find it quite underwhelming.

Honestly they had much better covers recently...i like Bibi but i'll buy the second cover instead...

I'm finding out that Bibi is a hit or miss for me. She looks much older here.
I like cover 2 though

I wasn't aware that Jane How became the Fashion Director of SS.....

SELF SERVICE X HORST DIEKGERDES
Photography: Horst Diekgerdes
Styling: Marie Chaix
Hair: Akemi Kishida
Make-up: Karin Westerlund
Models: Bibi Breslin, Georgina Grenville, Farah Nieuwburg & Ilana de Bruijn

weibo.com

Is this the best fashion has to offer?
Got to agree, partly at least, with your point. They have a great casting, photographer etc. And this is all we get? Terribly lackluster... Flawless but not really appealing enough to command attention (and especially keep it for some extra... seconds) and unable to stand out or outshine what's being done elsewhere.

Got to agree, partly at least, with your point. They have a great casting, photographer etc. And this is all we get? Terribly lackluster... Flawless but not really appealing enough to command attention (and especially keep it for some extra... seconds) and unable to stand out or outshine what's being done elsewhere.
Agree 100% with every word. Self Service is always a miss for me. They release so much content every year and absolutely none, but really none of it grabs my attention. The styling is always off and unappealing and the overall content is basically nondescript and fogettable. It's not a good magazine. I'd rather stick to Numéro Netherlands and Schön!, they are a couple of publications making consistently amazing, memorable content.

P.S. I also find the giant fonts and phrases rather annoying and tryhard. It's like they want so badly to appeal Gen Z by trying to appear 'hip' and 'cool', but they fail miserably by using old millenial slang. It's kinda comical, but still annoying.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with every word. Self Service is always a miss for me. They release so much content every year and absolutely none, but really none of it grabs my attention. The styling is always off and unappealing and the overall content is basically nondescript and fogettable. It's not a good magazine. I'd rather stick to Numéro Netherlands and Schön!, they are a couple of publications making consistently amazing, memorable content.

P.S. I also find the giant fonts and phrases rather annoying and tryhard. It's like they want so badly to appeal Gen Z by trying to appear 'hip' and 'cool', but they fail miserably by using old millenial slang. It's kinda comical, but still annoying.
I wouldn't say I don't like some of their photographs, even some entire series every now and then but everything is in the "every now and then". Some great little things drown in some oceans of forgettable materials. And they do have the prestige, most likely the money too, and the people to make something tons better than what we get... for ages. Haven't bought many issues of it in a lifetime, a couple at best, always thought it was overpriced compared to its actual level. To me it's another example of "could have been great but failed on its way" while one of our main issues nowadays is how we tend to get satisfied with mild, tedious standards because everything else is sinking, light-speed sinking for unbelievably wrong reasons

SIMULTANEOUSLY
Photography: Carlijn Jacobs
Styling: Imruh Asha
Hair: Mustafa Yanaz
Make-up: Siddhartha Simone
Models: Apolline Rocco Fohrer & Libby Bennett

weibo.com

And they are supposedly the best cutting edge editors, photographers, stylists, etc. Yet their work is so lazy, derivative. I prefer to look at old fashion images.

this mag is becoming like a joke....but it makes sense as the whole fashion business is f*cked up

Jacobs ed looks like it was generated by AI. Her work always look too digital. She should try shooting with film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chikirin
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->