Sewing - #2

Sewing

so who sews their own clothes?

inspired by evexa's lovely wedding dress posted in the customisations thread, I realised that we really needed a thread devoted just to our sewing projects that we make from scratch, more or less. what have you made? do you have any forthcoming projects? do you draw out your own patterns based on your own design, or do you alter store-bought patterns to suit your personal taste?

for the record, clothing customisation should still go in the customisations thread.

:flower:

CIMG1961.jpg

CIMG1969.jpg

A blouse or something.

That jacket is totally :heart::heart::heart:
I love the shape and the seam detail on the back.

I know the basics of sewing, but I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of sewing my own clothes. I would like to try, though, eventually. That will probably be my spring project for this year. Lee-Sarah, that jacket is wonderful! I hope I'm able to sew things as well as that. Does anyone have any tips for a beginner?

I find making my own clothes much easier than sewing for others, because I know my body better and know exactly how I want clothes to fit me.

Id say start by making a simple dress out of a stretchy fabric, something not too complicated, or with a lot of cuts and darts and experiment with thicker fabrics first (wool, corduroy,denim), that are easier to work with than delicate ones like chiffon or silk.

@Feline & @Lovely_lethargy thank you guys :smile: I really appreciate the comment. it has kept me so warm and we're ready to storm the weather together lookin' amazing! haha

Lovely_lethargy -- i was so scared the first time i started to use an industrial machine, but practice sewing corners, curves, and straight lines. they are EXtremely important :smile: hope it helped a bit.

wow everyone's garments are amazing and that jacket wooo!! love the back, i'd love to see it front ..
anyways i made this crappy blouse in less than an hour i tend to get really desperate very quickly so...

I find making my own clothes much easier than sewing for others, because I know my body better and know exactly how I want clothes to fit me.

Id say start by making a simple dress out of a stretchy fabric, something not too complicated, or with a lot of cuts and darts and experiment with thicker fabrics first (wool, corduroy,denim), that are easier to work with than delicate ones like chiffon or silk.

I'm terrified enough just thinking of making things for myself, I can't fathom making something for anyone else. Although, maybe if I can get familiar with my machine I could make some things for my bestie. She's so supportive... Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll just have to dive right in and go for it...

@Feline & @Lovely_lethargy thank you guys :smile: I really appreciate the comment. it has kept me so warm and we're ready to storm the weather together lookin' amazing! haha

Lovely_lethargy -- i was so scared the first time i started to use an industrial machine, but practice sewing corners, curves, and straight lines. they are EXtremely important :smile: hope it helped a bit.

You're welcome! It looks very well done. And thanks for the tip. I suppose I should go visit the fabric store and get on it.

Do you guys use patterns? Do you ever make your own patterns? Who uses a dress form? Opinions and suggestions on the subject?

Ive never used a store bought pattern, always make my own. And a dressform is incredibly useful, you cant tell how much you need it until you get yourself one. It changes everything.

How exactly do you go about making your own? I feel as though I would totally butcher any attempt... Is your dressform a very expensive one? And do you have a particular type you like best?

i was taught to draft my own patterns at school, but Ive also found useful just play with the fabric on the dressform, kind of like they do on project runway. And its a good idea to experiment with muslin or any cheap fabric before "butcher" lol, the actual fabric.

It was that expensive actually, and its one of those that change sizes, adjustable one. Bc I work with clients of different sizes it comes on handy instead of buying one of each size. You can find pretty good ones for less than 200 usd.

Ive been sewign a lot lately but havent had the time to post it here.

First, a shearling jacket I made out of a suede coat and some plushie fabric i found. I saw a jacket at zara and fell in love with it, except for the price and decided to replicate it, luckily i had an old long dated coat and found the shearling-esque fabric.
198062056.jpg

zara+jacket+with+fur+collar.jpg

on the fourthfloor

i was taught to draft my own patterns at school, but Ive also found useful just play with the fabric on the dressform, kind of like they do on project runway. And its a good idea to experiment with muslin or any cheap fabric before "butcher" lol, the actual fabric.

It was that expensive actually, and its one of those that change sizes, adjustable one. Bc I work with clients of different sizes it comes on handy instead of buying one of each size. You can find pretty good ones for less than 200 usd.

Do you know of anywhere (online) that I could find some good information about making your own patterns? I would like to get a dressform, but I don't have the money at the moment, considering it's just after the holidays and all.

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but I wondered what's the best way to shorten a skirt or trousers that have unfinished hems? Do you just cut it off or what does "unfinished" exactly mean anyway? Is it just not fully finished or is there absolutely nothing done to the hem? :unsure:

yes, nothing further, just cut it and if you like the frayed look, you can do a bit more controlled destruction by hand and leave it like that. If that is how the trouser/skirt was hemed originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->