Shopping At Luxury Stores

Great posts everyone, I love reading these sort of reviews.
Hermes in Paris - lacklustre service. We were interested in looking at some bags and we waited for 15 mins, although they gave us glasses of water. Decided to buy two Kelly bags (one for mum, another a gift for my grandmother) in the end, but they didn't really give us much a response, it almost seemed like they were annoyed to sell them, or something like that :S They also wouldn't let us buy two initially, but we explained one was to be a gift for my grandma, and they made us put each Kelly on credit cards with different name.
i've seen this in other stores like Gucci in Barcelona, there was even a plaque informing that you can not buy more than two products from the same range (bags, wallets, shoes...) due to stock issues.
though i dont quite understand it chez Gucci, i can totally see it in Hermes. I am very very surprised you could buy one kelly (which i thought you had to order nowadays), two is even MORE surpirsing!

anyway, lucky you!! :flower:

LV Champs Elysee Paris - far and beyond the best customer service. Attentive, not pushy. I spent ages umming and ahhing and half the time probably didn't seem like a serious customer. Went above and beyond searching the store and the rest of France for what I was after, even saying he could put what I wanted on hold for me even though it was the very last one in stock in France and there were people in the store asking to buy it if I didn't want it (xxl cream Mahina bag). Ended up buying it anyway, but yes, fantastic service.

arent they jsut THE BEST!? i loved them all, in every department i visited! if you (any of you) have a chance to go, do visit the Espace Louis Vuitton. When i was there, it was the SAs wearing red foulards (there were two of them) you had to ask for it

Thanks Borja, Cicciolina, and Galleria Resident for the experiences! Paris sounds like such a fun city for shopping!:heart:

I actually went all the way out to Chicago a couple of weeks ago for a weekend, but I only had time to check out a few of the stores on Oak Street...which kind of sucked because it was a six-hour car ride either way, and the rest of the time I was sitting in ballet studio waiting rooms...but I had fun.

Barneys - I get to bring the whole family with me when shopping :smile:doh:smile: which, while only being three other people, takes a lot of fun out of the experience. But at Barneys, I was able to send 2/3rds of them away to the Kiehl's shop-in-shop while I looked around elsewhere. I think of the half hour I was there, only one employee acknowledged my presence. The merchandise wasn't very interesting, though. Stores in Chicago seem to only buy the most boring of any collection, and the men's designer department isn't very large to begin with. They had some pretty neat-o women's Balenciaga and Alaïa items, though.

Prada - Meh. This one was surprisingly busy, but I was in and out quickly because there was nothing good to look at. I think the only colored items in the men's section were those gross socks from S/S 08.

Hermés - Again, surprisingly busy. I only let myself ogle at the jewelry for a moment because an SA would probably catch me drooling if I looked any longer, and the men's section literally had fewer than twenty pieces. And the pieces that were there were things like white tees and non-descript suits.

YSL - My favorite store in Chicago. I seriously think there are only two employees who work in mens. In the past three years I've been there, I've seen the same two faces. :blink: The man who helped me was very polite, greeting me, looking in the back for things I was only really browsing through, in general doing things employees are supposed to do.

Thanks Borja, Cicciolina, and Galleria Resident for the experiences! Paris sounds like such a fun city for shopping!:heart:

I actually went all the way out to Chicago a couple of weeks ago for a weekend, but I only had time to check out a few of the stores on Oak Street...which kind of sucked because it was a six-hour car ride either way, and the rest of the time I was sitting in ballet studio waiting rooms...but I had fun.

Barneys - I get to bring the whole family with me when shopping :smile:doh:smile: which, while only being three other people, takes a lot of fun out of the experience. But at Barneys, I was able to send 2/3rds of them away to the Kiehl's shop-in-shop while I looked around elsewhere. I think of the half hour I was there, only one employee acknowledged my presence. The merchandise wasn't very interesting, though. Stores in Chicago seem to only buy the most boring of any collection, and the men's designer department isn't very large to begin with. They had some pretty neat-o women's Balenciaga and Alaïa items, though.

Prada - Meh. This one was surprisingly busy, but I was in and out quickly because there was nothing good to look at. I think the only colored items in the men's section were those gross socks from S/S 08.

Hermés - Again, surprisingly busy. I only let myself ogle at the jewelry for a moment because an SA would probably catch me drooling if I looked any longer, and the men's section literally had fewer than twenty pieces. And the pieces that were there were things like white tees and non-descript suits.

YSL - My favorite store in Chicago. I seriously think there are only two employees who work in mens. In the past three years I've been there, I've seen the same two faces. :blink: The man who helped me was very polite, greeting me, looking in the back for things I was only really browsing through, in general doing things employees are supposed to do.

Well Ian the reason your being disappointed is because of the stores.Hermes come on I love em but the are very stiff in designs,its bascially the same stuff every year especially in mens, but I do like the H belts an the occasional coat. Barneys ive never been to impressed with the mens stuff its like saks an neimans hippie rich cousin who trys to play off the wealth but likes expensive things. Prada again same thing about as bad as Marc Jacobs when it comes to mens love their phone,carry on bags,and sandals but for menswear its not a winner. YSL cant go wrong:D Next time you go I suggest the Saks Mens store on Michigan Ave. 3 stories,an last time I was their had a good selection.

^Well, I wouldn't quite say that. I was in NYC over the summer, and the buys there were amazing. Chicago's such a small market that they can only afford the safest merchandise...

Some years ago I recieved an invitation to preview YSL's new collection.
I probably got the invite because I had bought a dress the season before, anyways..
dumb as a doorknob..I went there dressed in nothing inparticular..
and there was staff enough for individual attention, champagne, sushi ..the works and two young models modeling the collection.
As soon as I arrived one of the staff personel approached me and informed me (very politely)
that today they were having a special pre-showing of their new collection, and I sensed he told me this
because he thought I was a tourist that had just wandered in from the street..(or too young and poor to be a typical customer)
and didn't have anything to do there..so I just looked at him and said:

"I know, I got the invite" PRICELESS

Try this one on.......B)-

I was in a LV boutique in the states, (im from Canada) checking out their stock since I dont have one in my city, yet I have purchased many items from them in the states. It was a store within a NM store (I will not name the store). Both reps had terrible attitude and service skills. I suppose they figured I was was only window shopping and since I was carrying nor wearing anything spectacular let alone LV that day, I was paid little attention by them. I was even bumped by another customer, male, who clearly was ready to "BUY" something. When one of the reps "FINALLY" asked if they could help me, I requested a particular item. I could see there were none on display. They responded curtly they did not. I asked if they could check other stores via their inventory database. They said they were unable to. I knew this was untrue since other times LV reps in other locations have done this for me. I told them this and they said if I left them a phone number they would contact me when they were free to search. In front of the rep, I dialed my "friend" who is a well-known LV associate who is actually a personal shopper employed by LV and works out of a very well known high end LV store in the states. I left a message on her voicemail stating what it is I was looking for and since she had my visa on file, to charge it to my visa and transfer it to this store. I looked at the snotty sales rep, asked her name and left that with my message to my "friend" to have the item transferred. I closed my cell and left my number with the rep and requested she contact me promptly when the item is recieved in her store. Her mouth was still open when I left. (My friend is the one that will benefet, even though they dont make a "commision" per se but receive bonus). Had this woman done her job she would've received it. I hope she learned a lesson. :P She sure looked shocked.

Well I have one positive experience. I went into the Chanel store in Singapore the day I flew in - it was the middle of summer so it was stinking hot, I probably smelt, my clothes were rumpled, and I looked tired and not well dressed, but I had time to kill because I had to wait for some things to get done before I could check in and rest.

So into the Chanel store I went and unsurprisingly all the sales assistants ignored me and just chatted away amongst themselves except for one SA who was so nice and sweet to me, and very very patient as I asked her to pull out jewellery for me, or find pieces that weren't on display etc :P I probably seemed like I was having fun and not buying, but she was still really friendly and went off in search of things she thought I would like anyway to try on. Anyway I ended up buying a ring because she was so nice, and we even chatted a bit because she was only a few years older than me.

Anyway the next day I came in better dressed with my dad who was dressed in a business suit because he was on the way to a meeting, and suddenly we had all the sales assistants' attention but I seeked out the one who had served me the other day and made all my purchases with her because she was so nice. Ever since then whenever I go back, she puts things away for me that she thinks I'll like, or if I need something repaired, she'll get it done straight away without asking for receipts or giving me a hard time, which is what the Chanel Sydney store seems to be good at doing.

Here is my review of stores in Washington, D.C.

Saks Chevy Chase - great service in the shoe selection, mediocore in the rest of the store, except for women's accessories, they're better there then in the higher priced handbag selection.

Barney's Chevy Chase - I've always had great service there. Attentive, but not annoying.

Saks Jandel Chevy Chase - I hate that place, too stuffy. The salespeople are useless.

Gucci Chevy Chase - Mixed. I actually think the security guard should be promoted because at least he greats everyone unlike the SAs. I've bought a couple of things and still can't get on their mailing list.

Jimmy Choo Chevy Chase - Love them, so friendly consistently.

MaxMara Chevy Chase - useless, more intersested in talking to each other then helping me both times I was in there so I gave up.

RalphLauren Chevy Chase - good. Nothing great or bad jumps out.

Tiffany's Chevy Chase - pretty good, depends on who you go to. We've finally found someone we really like. Still I would expect a little more attention when our SA isn't there since I'm wearing a Tiffany diamond engagement ring and diamond necklace.

Sak's Men's Mazza Gallerie - the worst store ever. They are fine when you're in the store but don't expect them to ever call or follow-up on special orders. We've tried a few SAs and I've been disappointed in them all.

Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie - ok, they seem a little stuffy, but helpful when you ask. I do like the lady in the Hermes section though.

Burberry downtown DC - the service is so bad that we've left after receiving pre-sale invites only to buy at full price at Thomas Pink. I don't like the salespeople there at all, they cling to one customer and ignore you while they do it. They cannot seem to multi-task at all.

Thomas Pink downtown DC - Nice and helpful. No problems.

Cartier Chevy Chase - so-so, friendly but failed to follow-up.

VanClef Chevy Chase - great! super helpful brought out tons of jewelry, loved it!

Tyson's Corner - I've had good experiences at Saks & Thomas Pink. The Neimans there is ok, it just feels stuffy.

here in sweden, we don't have that many luxury stores, but most of them i've been to (gucci, lv, natalie schuterman), the service was awful and they were kinda rude.

I love this thread and I know the blonde girl in Men's at YSL GalleriaResident ! I dont usually shop much here in L.A. though. I like New York or Paris.

Is it me or are ppl very bitchy when they answer the phone. its like im just trying to find an buy a specific item geeesshh!

the worst service i've had was at dolce & gabanna...wot a nightmare! i walked in and no one even greeted me or even bothered asking if i needed assistance with something...they seemed too busy with, you know, standing around and doing a whole lotta nothing. dreadful, plain and simple...:censored::angry:

NYC experiences:

Barney's: surprisingly, I was treated well last time I went...in the Men's section, no less. In the Co-Op & Women's Designer areas, they ignored me as usual. They ignore everyone.

Bloomingdales: It was around Christmas, so the staff were forced to be friendly and "approachable".

Saks: Nothing but positive experiences here, believe it or not! The last time I was there I was completely doted on, despite being the youngest shopper on the whole floor. I took note, trust me.

Jeffrey: They upheld their legacy of cool disdain. Why?

Intermix: This one girl makes a point to ignore my presence specifically, while a male coworker went out of his way to help me.

Searle: Unpleasant; unwarranted egoism considering they aren't that exclusive of a store.

Scoop: A few perfunctory greetings exchanged.

As far as specific designer stores, I now am treated fairly well as they know me from my new job. Before that, it really varied.

Overall, though, my impression is that the the more you spend, the more they resent you. It's completely counterintuitive. I'm convinced you could spend $10,000 at Barneys & they wouldn't bat an eye; meanwhile, if you spent that at some independent boutique, they'd basically make you their deity for the day. (Places like Kirna Zabete
excluded).

Last edited by a moderator:
^thanks for sharing your luxe-store experiences with us, shirleebee! some SA's are so horrendously unpleasant that you rarely get great customer service, nowadays! :o

Well I was considering a new topic altogether because I wanted to know others opinions on the cosmetics department of these luxury stores. Barneys, Bergdorf's, Saks, Neiman's, Bloomingdale's..which one has the classiest and most elegant display for their cosmetics area? Definitely not Bloomingdale's. I think that Bergdorf's has a beautiful downstairs Cosmetics area, and I've been dying to go back since they now have the only US Natura Bisse spa. :( Neiman's varies from store to store, Beverly Hills is beautiful, SF is beautiful, the one in Bellevue, WA will be brand-new and gorgeous, but ones I've been to on the east coast (ATL and NY-white plains) were tacky.

I love Barneys. Everywhere I love Barneys. I love Seattle. Love SF. Bev Hills and Madison Avenue. They have minimalism in their cosmetics area. And the rare brands that not even BG has, so, they're my favorite.

NYC experiences:

Saks: Nothing but positive experiences here, believe it or not! The last time I was there I was completely doted on, despite being the youngest shopper on the whole floor. I took note, trust me.

Intermix: This one girl makes a point to ignore my presence specifically, while a male coworker went out of his way to help me.

Searle: Unpleasant; unwarranted egoism considering they aren't that exclusive of a store.

Scoop: A few perfunctory greetings exchanged.

I agree with the above and wanted to add my little 2c :P

SAKS has great customer service... albeit i'm always buying shoes there and have a great SA

SCOOP: The SAs are not very helpful at all.... they don't say hi, and when i buy things, i make sure that no SA makes commission off of me. Because they literally don't say anything to me until i'm almost at the register

Intermix: I think it depends on which location. the one in soho has pretty blah service.... i like the one on UES on Madison... everyone there is helpful

BalNY: i've bought bags from them over the phone and they seem great, but when i went to the store... their service SUCKED!!!!!

Bergdorf Goodman: I feel that everyone is really nice here, but this is one of my favorite stores to be in...

I had to laugh at the Searle comment... because it's sooo TRUE!!!!! I feel they're snobby there for NO reason whatsoever!!

To be honest, I think all luxury stores have quite good service.

I mean Prada gives you champagne.

^ i think it depends on what customer YOU are. i don't recieve very well service because im only 19.

My Parents where absolutely doted on in Louis Vuitton. They had drinks.. whilst looking at the products. Given a dozen catalogues.
Excellent service.

Alexander Mcquen Bond Street London- Appalling

But walk 2 minutes down to Louis Vuitton and the service is impeccable

(and the manager is cute too lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannah Ursula
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"