Short hair

great thread! i just recently cut my hair into a bob as a stepping stone toward a pixie cut. my mother thinks that since my hair is coarse and thick, it won't look good in a super short cut :-/

dee -- my hair is pin straight and won't hold a curl, ridiculously thick (both in number of hairs and each actual hair), and really coarse/stiff/dry/hurts if you poke yourself in the eye with it. you can do short cuts, you just need to do short cuts that go along with 'super straight pokey hair'. razoring or channel-cutting the hell out of it is necessary to collapse it, and also, uh, not washing it often helps a LOT with control + texture. just avoid anything wispy + romantic as it won't work -- blocky/piecey/messy will work fine. a pixie with heavier bangs you can comb a lot of product for, or cropped extremely short in the back (like an a-line) will also work well. undercuts (a la kate lanphear, alice dellal, et) also work well but may be a bit more extreme than you want to go.

maintenance + growing it out will be a b*tch because it will get really 'poufy' quickly but most places will charge you just a little bit to go in for a 'bang trim' every 2-3 weeks to get the weight razored out again :smile: overall for me it's way better than long, because long i need to flat-iron it constantly -- not to make it straight, but to make it flatter and smoother.

iamnerdee i love love your new hair style! it really suits your face and gives you an edge

meg, thanks for the advice!

thanks to totah, SpanishCaravan, and Sun_Goddess01 for the compliments :smile:

I've had short hair before, a few times begrudgingly... and being a guy it's more common to have short hair. But I prefer having something up there, it seems to suit me better.

lovely haircut iamnerdee!

i'm back to short hair again...

wio.jpg

iamnerdee i love love your new hair style! it really suits your face and gives you an edge

ITA
imanerdee i love your new hair on you, you look fabulous
blackcoffee, lafindesiecle, alba your hair styles are gorgeous, love it

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, it's official now: I really want to chop off my hair -_-
Long hair might be nice and you can do many things with it (ponytail, braid etc.) but for me it's just way too dull and I certainly need a change now. Never have done it before. At least not in such a drastic way... It's about waist-lenght right now and I'd totally love to cut it in a messy, shoulder-lenght, just like Freja's here:

2wnwu3q.jpg

style.com

I want to keep the lenght in the front though. So, no bangs for me. Just a short-cut with some (very few) layers in it. My hair is very thick and straight but when it gets wet or when I don't blow-dry it I have a slight natural-wave in it. So I guess it would look like in this shot:

16bbhia.jpg

dazeddigital

Do you think this style would work for thick hair? :unsure: I'm so afraid that I'll end up looking like some swab :ninja:

I love Freja's haircut and everytime when I see her photo with short hair I want to cut mine but I also have very thick hair and I personally think it would be look weird but it depends of texture of your hair and your face of course:smile:

^^ trust me, super thick hair CAN work short -- you just need it thinned out a lot, tons of layers, probably razored. my stylist cuts layers into and underneath my hair rather than just on top -- i need to get it thinned out every 3 weeks or so but it works fine! My hair needs to be layered a lot when it's long too, but I find it gets so much more damaged -- having my hair razored very fine when it's short isn't a big deal because i can get those damaged bits cut off so easily and frequently.

here are a bunch of my short-haircuts -- my hair is EXTREMELY thick and pin-straight and very wiry:

7527_537866504135_8400050_31883202_6901490_n.jpg

15552_541969536625_8400050_32026671_5469269_n.jpg

n8400050_31285850_2262.jpg

alos nijuyanah -- you can definitely do that with thick wavy hair and i think it will look quite nice! if your hair stylist is good you should be able to explain it very easily -- i always find that bringing photos helps -- and they should be able to deal with the thickness so you don't end up with a triangular poofy newcaster bob :smile: enough product should also help tame it down and keep things smooth.

I chopped off my waist length brown hair to a soulder lenght after years of wanting to do so, now I'm thinking of going even shorter. I hated my long hair, it's was so pretty but extremely boring. I had a ponytail all the time because my hair got in the way, it was frizzy etc. I'm thinking of something like this except I don't want the backside to be so short:

twiggy-2.jpg

blogs.timeslive.co.za

Or this:

6a00d09e586da8be2b0123ddc44ac1860b-500pi

vox.com

I used to have mine like that, Erna! I cut mine after the picture of Sienna actually. I was really happy with it.

alos nijuyanah -- you can definitely do that with thick wavy hair and i think it will look quite nice! if your hair stylist is good you should be able to explain it very easily -- i always find that bringing photos helps -- and they should be able to deal with the thickness so you don't end up with a triangular poofy newcaster bob :smile: enough product should also help tame it down and keep things smooth.

Thanks for all the input and help :flower: But since I'm such a chicken I guess I will just stick to my current hairdo and cut off some cm's of the split ends :blush: I just don't want to mess up everything again... Because I know that my hair is really tricky when it's short. It takes ages to style it the right way. Though, it's just too tempting whenever I look at Freja's or Anja's hair. Sigh... :rolleyes::D

Btw: I think your cut looks amazing on you!

Thanks for all the input and help :flower: But since I'm such a chicken I guess I will just stick to my current hairdo and cut off some cm's of the split ends :blush: I just don't want to mess up everything again... Because I know that my hair is really tricky when it's short. It takes ages to style it the right way. Though, it's just too tempting whenever I look at Freja's or Anja's hair. Sigh... :rolleyes::D

Btw: I think your cut looks amazing on you!

I love those photos you posted of Freja, you should def. get the cut. I think it would look great esp if your hair is slightly curly or textured. I'm going to get mine like Freja cut soon too. I just love short hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->