Shu Uemura - Art of Hair

miu_miu

little soul
Reaction score
I've just read about this - and I know we have a lot of Shu fans here, so this is their latest :flower:

L'Oreal's Professional Products Division, L'Oreal USA's professional hair care company, announced last week that Shu Uemura Art of Hair will have a June debut in 500 salons across the USA.

Yes, Shu Uemura. The Japanese makeup artist whose brand makes luxurious makeup brushes, amazing makeup and is probably best known for it's eyelash curler. (FYI: L'Oreal bought a majority stake in Shu Uemura in 2000)

Shu Uemura was instrumental in the development of the line. And L'Oreal worked with several salons and stylists to assess the brand's heritage and to make sure the salon distribution channel would be right for Art of Hair.

The nine item prestige hair care and seven item styling line will differentiate itself by using formulas that contain oils, not silicone to blend nature and science.

Within hair care, there is a shampoo, conditioner and masque available for three different categories: color treated, damaged and dry. Shampoos will retail for $40 each; conditioners for $50 each and masques for $60 each.

Full Shimmer is for color treated hair and uses musk rose oil as a key ingredient to add vibrancy to color. This category uses rose of Japan as its key scent.

Moisture Velvet was formulated with camellia oil to help nourish dry hair and uses camellia petal as its fragrance.

Silk Bloom, for damaged hair, uses argan oil to repair the structure of the hair fiber.

Styling items include Depsea Hair Foundations, which are meant to smooth the hair cuticle to create a proper base for styling. There's also Shape Paste, a strong-hold hair putty made for sculpted styles; Silk Oil, a light serum to help control frizz; Satin Design, a conditioning lotion; Liquid Fabric, used to invigorate curls, IronDesign, a heat protective spray, and Sheer Lacquer, a high-hold finishing spray. Each styling item will retail for $30.

Shu Uemura Art of Hair will first be available to those salons that carry Kerastase, another L'Oreal owned brand, at the back bar and sell only three other brands. Art of Hair will expand to key markets in the first part of 2008, which includes France, Great Britain, Spain, Italy and Japan.

There will be no specialty store distribution for the line, where the brand currently sells its makeup and skin care lines. Products will be available in the four Shu Uemura stores in the U.S.; Costa Mesa, Boston, New York and San Francisco.

The packing is gorgeous and vibrant and I can't wait to try it. When Shu Uemura's name is on the product you know it's first class.

Article from April 2007
Source:
http://divacheck.blogspot.com/

Art of Haircare Collection

screen-capture-6-2.png

screen-capture-7-2.png

screen-capture-8-2.png

http://www.shuuemuraartofhair.com

The website has all information about the treatments available...http://www.shuuemuraartofhair.com but here's a review I've found :flower:

I hate back basins. You know, those excruciating ten minutes whilst you have your hair shampooed and, horror of horrors, your scalp massaged by some Saturday girl or boy who thinks they are a Reiki Master because they had a half day training one evening at the salon. Even the most high tech, chair goes flat, padded edged basin is in essence a prescription for a trip to an osteopath. So in all my years as a beauty journalist little fills me with dread as much as an invitation to a hair "spa".
I can understand why salons strive to make hair colouring and cutting a more Zen like experience, but really they should give up and get back to what they are good at. This is transforming my hair in as little time as possible so in turn I can go back to pretending that I wake up looking that way. So I was intrigued by Shu Uemura’s new Art Of Hair venture.

I say intrigued because like any beauty addict I know that Shu Uemura is a by word for great beauty, and having met Mr Uemura once I was inspired by his knowledge, style and ability to calm a room simply by entering it. In fact it was a little like that scene from Kill Bill where Uma's Thurman's character is made to see the error of her arrogant Western ways when she is tutored by her Master atop a Japanese mountain. Except instead of Mr Uemura teaching sword play, he teaches brush work. Within seconds of meeting him I realised that this was no ordinary beauty expert. Here was a true guru. But having mastered brushes, colours and even skin care, can Shu Uemura do hair care? And more importantly can they really turn a back basin experience in to a hair spa?
So I had the Shu Art of Hair Ceremony at The Daniel Hersheson Salon at Harvey Nichols. I say ceremony because it is inspired by the Japanese Green Tea Ceremony, complete with faux lacquer whisking bowls, brushes and mystery. But, as with any spa experience, the success is truly reliant on two things, the quality of the therapist and the ambiance of the spa.

Therapist Chico Shigeta is a Parisian based Japanese lady who prescribed a treatment for damaged hair (no surprise there) and then set about my upper body with a strength that belied her size. First I had a Scalp Cleansing Oil treatment applied, then a brilliant scalp massage worthy of a destination spa, cleverly done, not at the basin, but in an extra luxurious salon chair. I was shampooed and conditioned then given a neck and shoulder massage that left me feeling quite light headed and very relaxed. My only complaint was that this all took part in a busy, chatty and vibrant salon. If only they had thought to put the entire experience into its own mini spa room, they would have had to pour me from the the chair. If this takes off then be sure that's what they will do.
And so yet again I salute you Mr Uemura. Not only for the concept and execution of The Art Of Hair but also the great products. I now have a new must have hair product the White Tea Polishing Milk £18; the perfect before, during and after blow drying milk that leaves hair smooth without weighing it down. And, at last, a range of shampoos and conditioners that are so beautiful they sit side by side with my skin care and make-up.
Shu Uemura Art Of Hair Ceremonies are available at Daniel Hersheson Salon, Harvey Nichols London, Tel: 020 7201 8797 and Charlie Miller Salon Edinburgh, Tel: 013 1524 8356. Prices start at £25. Visit www.shuuemuraartofhair.com.

shu3.jpg
source | http://www.beautybynadine.com

Has anyone tried this, yet? My co-worker swears by it but she's the only one I've met that uses this line. This sounds perfect for me since I can't use any products w/silicones in it (breaks me out and makes my hair unmanageable) but a bit hesitant to spend so much money on products I don't know much about. As much as I'm dying to use Kerastase, I can't becuase of the silicones. And all styling products are just zits in a bottle for me. :blush: I feel like this could be the answer to all my hair woes. :P

I just got back from my Salon and my stylist used Shu products on me; the create & perfect ones that miu listed above. My hair looks so healthy and shiny now.

Overall, I liked the results, but I didn't really care for the strong smell. My hair was super straight in the humidity so I will probably buy it in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
The salon I work in carries this product line. It's 'okay'. The shampoos are nice and light. The styling products are terrible. There's nothing that really stands out or sets this line out for anything else out there. My clients that have bought the products feel the same.

The salon I work in carries this product line. It's 'okay'. The shampoos are nice and light. The styling products are terrible. There's nothing that really stands out or sets this line out for anything else out there. My clients that have bought the products feel the same.

I agree that it's nothing special. I am using the Full Shimmer shampoo & conditioner. It's nice, yes, but not mind-blowing as I thought it might be.

I agree that it's nothing special. I am using the Full Shimmer shampoo & conditioner. It's nice, yes, but not mind-blowing as I thought it might be.

I've been using the Silk Bloom s&c and I feel it's nothing special, too. Not worth the price. I also think this gave me dandruff so I've been using Head & Shoulders (which is actually really great).

I've bought the styling products for curly hair and the one for heat styling. Both are terrible - did nothing for my hair. My waves were frizzy and my hair felt really coarse after using the pre-heat one. All 4 products are just sitting in my bathroom...wasted money. :angry:

kind of off-topic, but can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of UEMURA? i've been pronouncing it as yoo-mura for the past 2 years until i heard someone pronounce it as ooh-ye-mura. help? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->