Skank Chic

justlucky said:
"3 Cold sores."

I have to admit I got a little chuckle out of this. I mean, nothing says chic like a sore, right?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are like, SO right!:innocent:

I don't know where this cold sore thing came from, can't find the article or whatever it is, but from the re-quotes here it seems like the article is saying, 3 cold sores...one would've been ok, two would've been acceptable, but three is out of the question.:unsure: :rolleyes: :huh:

I'm a bit angry with this trend becoming super popular- because its rebellious, "jemenfiche" aura will start to fade away and give place to conformity and skankyness.
When a trend is adopted en masse by Hollywood starlets, pop singers et co, it's a sure sign for me to ditch that trend, as it will begin to "deteriorate" in one way or another (symbolically and quality wise).
Btw, for those of you wonderin why Lindsay Lohan was mentioned in that article alongside Kate Moss, have a look-from vogue.co.uk, august 11, 05 (although here she names Kate Moss's style boho chic, but i think both skank chic and boho chic might be placed by some under the same hat) "LINDSAY LOHAN puts Sienna Miller's style all down to Kate Moss. The 19-year-old actress admits she is a die-hard Moss fan, and couldn't believe that boho chic only took hold when Sienna hit the limelight last year. "Kate Moss is my fashion icon," Lohan told CONTACTMUSIC.COM. "She looks great. She wears things that could take someone hours to put together, but she probably doesn't take that much time. It's boho chic, which is very in right now. Yeah, [I like Sienna], but Kate started that." "

It's widely agreed that current usage of 'skank' as a derogatory term was first established by the twin powers of the New York Post's outrageously salacious gossip column PageSix and by Gawker, leading light of the media blog world.

This is slightly OT, but what a ludicrous claim. Regular folks have been using the word "skank" in this manner for probably decades now.

lol I like how the text goggle ad on this page right now is of "Danger of Gum Disease"

I think this skank chic look is cool as long as you don't over-do it! The way Kate Moss does it is just cool! But it would be horrible if it would cross the line to the heroin chic-look, because that look was reaaly,really awful and scary!
The thing about kate is that she can balance the "dirty" clothes with some golden shoes or a expensive bag.
So, I think the skank chic look is easier for rich people to have, because they can make it trashy in a sophisticated way.
B)

I think that some people can pull this off as long as they don't take it to the extreme. And as long as they are gorgeous in the first place. But regular people? Not so much.

I agree!!! Sometimes I do that. Like, i'll wear ratty ripped jeans (that are actually worn, not really bought like that) and keep the rest clean & new looking. Thats probably the only way it can look good, i think.

And what about hipster haircuts? You know, like the dior homme guys. I kinda like that. Not so extreme maybe, but still long, pushed to the side & stuff. I like that as long as it looks like it is supposed to be like that, and not just grown out because he is too lazy to get a haircut. :P

justin*

ps. hipster-ish haircuts are definitely hot, especially those seen on the dior homme models.
and skank chic when used correctly can work fer sure.
but the average fake tan college girl could not pull it off. especially with an imposter lv bag. i see it all the time, i'm no stranger to that kind of shazzzz.

Everything old is new again... 1992 all over again. But the article brings up a good point about Mick Jagger having talent. He wasn't trying to pull off an image, he was himself. The same thing with Iggy Pop and Kurt Cobain. I think Kate Moss can pull it off, but only because it's her attitude that shines through it. Anybody else would be like a yuppie on a chopper (don't even get me started on this trend...).

This article sounds like they are describing hipsters. I have a question, how come the fashion world always has to give names to 'a look'? It's so annoying. Obviously you can't pull off a 'look' if you have to give it a name. That's like prepackiging it in an 'obvious' box for all those who need to be sold an image. Yuuuuuuccckkkkk.

Ok, so skank chic just means not giving a f***. Hmmm......but doesn't that goal get bypassed if it means you buy a dior homme suit for major $$$ and then act like you don't care. I do have to agree with the fact that Hipster (or should i say skank chic) guys are cute, even if they worked very hard to look like they didn't work very hard, still pretty darn hot!:P :heart:

violet-sky said:
I do have to agree with the fact that Hipster (or should i say skank chic) guys are cute, even if they worked very hard to look like they didn't work very hard, still pretty darn hot!:P :heart:

Oh...yes...they..are....yummy:heart:.

I thought that article was hilarious.

skank chic.. hahhahahaha. But I can see it as a trend absolutely. Who would have thought grunge would take hold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCavendish
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->