skirts/dresses over pants

scara

Reaction score
so i've seen this friend of mine wearing a dress over a pair of jeans the other day and totally fell in love with this look again.
it's really warm and comfortable for the cold winter here..

but, i can still remember how dresses and skirts worn over pants used to be in fashion couple of years ago.. and at a certain point i stopped wearing this combination.

now, i realise how my style has changed in the last couple of months, it's much more relaxed (I'm back into wearing jeans again..) and now i'd totally wear it again.

what's your option on this?
how can this look be styled to look good? (if there is a way... :innocent: )

It can look good with really skinny pants, almost like a legging. But I don't like it with flare jeans...

i'm totally not a fan of a skirt over pants, but a short dress over tight skinny trousers can be chic. it all depends on how you wear it!

@the_ida
could you post pics of you wearing it? :flower:

Kristen Stewart did it with her dress that she wore to the LA premiere of Twilight (not on the red carpet, but afterwards), but then again she was probably in the middle of changing when she came out to sign atupgraphs :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Femmes who wear leggings as pants would see this as nothing new. Personally, I'm not real fond of this. I'm reminded of a post I did in the "Layering" thread in this forum. Have a look:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5104734&postcount=68

I've seen the Japanese do this to success. I personally think it's trying too hard, especially with a dress. Pardon me if I'm old-fashioned. I just don't agree with wearing a dress as a glorified tunic to go with jeans or pants. I've seen cute long tunics paired with denim capris. I'd rather wear (if I were a femme, of course) a tunic + jeans/pants rather than a dress + jeans/pants. I've even heard the expression "tunic dress," which suggests a tunic can be worn as a dress, but I'd still wear a proper tunic with jeans or pants.

Now on to skirts + jeans/pants. The reason why I wouldn't complain much on these is because I've seen pants and jeans that come with a detachable skirt. There was an old Newport News catalog I've seen that featured two different "skants." The first pair had a real chic pair of pants or slacks, and they came with a matching detachable skirt. Basically, it was a short wrap skirt worn over these kind of bootcut pants. The second one looked like a more proper skirt worn over the pants. The only jean examples I've seen were in a music video and then something online. But if you're asking me on thoughts of pairing a skirt with a non-matching pair of pants, I'd probably dislike it.

Again... I don't hate this look, but I'm not likely to give any recommendation to going with this look. So it's a mostly minor nuisance, like pairing a tunic with a denim miniskirt.

I think it can look really good, especially if both dress and pants are in the same color or at least neutral..

Valentine Fillol-Cordier did this last year and looked lovely. :heart:

25516on.jpg

[garance doré]

@mulletproof

thank you for posting this lovley picture.

my idea was to wear a thin viscose-dress over skinny jeans with a huge knit sweater..
i think this will work

i won't be caught wearing white skinnies any time soon. :doh:
but thanks for the hint to look at chanel! :flower:

I remember that being a trend years ago... so much so that they actually started makes skirts attached to pants it was awful.

If you're going to bring back a past trend or style, at least bring it back with the intention of making it better and accessible today. So in this instance, how are we improving a past look? I've always disliked the idea of dress/skirt/jumper + jeans + jean legs into boots, essentially making jeans a glorified accessory. I think I'll admit about skinny pants is that you can actually play around with them. So this is where I'll actually offer some credit to skinny pants/jeans... if you're going to try this look, you best go with skinny pants. The pants you can most get away with would be with stirrup pants. Much as I dislike them, they would be best for trying this look out. Anything less than boots with these stirrup pants would result in a fashion fail.

at everyone .... tons of french girls used to do it in the late 90s ... a friend of mine in highschool who was Isabel Marant's fan (yeah Marant is not a new designer ....) used to do it because she saw this in a Marant's show and thought the idea was cool ... but I think Marant wasn't the 1st to 'style' pants and dress this way ....
It has been a huge trend in France for a lot of years ... until one day the 'low-fashion-people' (ie the ones who follow the trends with a couple of years late and transform them the cheapest way it is possible to transform'em) got to do it as well ....

I think the Fillol-Cordier's example from MP is one of the best style for this .... Because it's light and 'funny' .... + the cardigan. My friend most of the time used floral printed dress (NO skirt !!) over her matching pants (ie some nice color combinaison that fits both the skirt-over-pants and your silhouette). The dress, imo, has to stop a tiny bit over the knee (look Fillol-C.) otherwise it'll break your silhouette (esp. if you're small) and means nothing !

the miniskirt over leggings is imo the late 00s interpretation of this old trend .... but seriously forget the mini-skirt over skinny-jeans/pants ...
the thing is that the dress has to look, imo, as a long tshirt, very comfy ....

Last edited by a moderator:
This will never work for me simply because I'm so short..
I'd need really skinny pants and high heels to carry this off!

If you are Juno then maybe yes.
If not you are better off wearing leggings + skirts/dresses instead.

I really don't like it, just pick if you want to wear pants or a dress/skirt... not both!

anything can look good if the combination is right.
sienna miller is living proof. she did wear black dress over jeans and it looked awesome.

@m.j.

do you have any pictures of sienna wearing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brky1907
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->