Spain's Crown Prince Felipe's Wedding

Originally posted by oanadobre+May 25th, 2004 - 10:05 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oanadobre @ May 25th, 2004 - 10:05 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Purr@May 25th, 2004 - 8:54 am
<!--QuoteBegin-oanadobre
@May 24th, 2004 - 8:47 am
C'mon guys. You keep saying that they looked too serious and didn't show their feelings (the bride and the groom, I mean). I think they are supposed to look like that.  They're not Brad and Jennifer or J Lo and Ben Afflek. They are symbols of a very serious institution- hence their formal behaviour. Personally, I would have thought as inappropriate if they had had a long kiss on the mouth in the balcony....
And I actually loved her dress...

something tells me you don't live in spain or any country with a royal family :innocent:

yes, they are an "institution", and live on OUR money. since spain is a democracy above all, they are commanded to do as the country wishes. they are compelled to be friendly and close to the people that pay for everything they have... kings and queens aren't an "insitution" one has to respect and fear above all anymore. if they are distant from their country, we can vote them out. nowadays they're a simple act of entertainment, they're closer to "jennifer and brad" than you think.

and that stupid, ugly dress cost us over 15,000€, can you believe it? :sick:
It is true that I don't live in a monarchic country. I live in Romania- one of the countries with great corruption level. I know a lot about the misuse of public funds- I'm a journalist. However, I think that even royal families are entitled to have their private money and use it the way they wish- even on a 15.000 $ dress.

P.S.: Monarchy is not a result of your democratic wish- the Parliament and (in some countries, Spain included) the prime-minister is. And yes, monarchy IS an institution. [/b][/quote]
¡ :innocent: i get very passionate about monarchy.

the spanish monarchy was created by franco in 1978. he chose the current king. now, if we want to stop having him as a king, we CAN vote for the monarchy to stop. it's as simple as changing a law and sending them to exile. also, the spanish royal family don't have much money at all. i think you misunderstood me when i said they use out money. they don't misuese the funds, we simple spend too much on royalty as a nation, and yes, they DID buy the dress with our money (that comes from the taxes we pay). but that'll change in less than a century, as soon as the older generations pass away, us the younger generations are going to vote them out :doh:

Originally posted by Purr@May 26th, 2004 - 9:57 am
and yes, they DID buy the dress with our money (that comes from the taxes we pay).
I must be misinformed. Are you suggesting that taxes in Spain go into the Royal Family's bank account?

Originally posted by oanadobre+May 26th, 2004 - 5:06 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oanadobre @ May 26th, 2004 - 5:06 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Purr@May 26th, 2004 - 9:57 am
and yes, they DID buy the dress with our money (that comes from the taxes we pay).
I must be misinformed. Are you suggesting that taxes in Spain go into the Royal Family's bank account? [/b][/quote]
I'm 100% sure that that't the way it is in Norway. We pay millions of dollars for them. These money go straight into their bank accounts..

i agree with Purr, part of the taxes we pay go to them... we're maintainning the spanish royal family... and what it's worser is that this expensive institution -absolutely useless in a parlamentarian democracy, anachonistic above all- is growing every day (with more grandchildren), so more funds to them... :angry:

Originally posted by scandinavianchic+May 26th, 2004 - 8:03 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scandinavianchic @ May 26th, 2004 - 8:03 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by oanadobre@May 26th, 2004 - 5:06 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Purr
@May 26th, 2004 - 9:57 am

I must be misinformed. Are you suggesting that taxes in Spain go into the Royal Family's bank account?
I'm 100% sure that that't the way it is in Norway. We pay millions of dollars for them. These money go straight into their bank accounts.. [/b][/quote]
i think we are getting a bit out of topic here girls :wink:

lets keep it ON topic :flower:

All I can say is: She married the Prince of Spain Ok, why not to chose a nicer gown? why not smile more? This day was suppoused to be the best of her life right??? :shock:

mary and freddy wedding was nicer...i'm soooo bias!! but yeh...i think we pay something to englands queen...i think...i don't really understand monarchs with no power...

Many say that they didn't want to make a big fuss out of the wedding because of the recent Madrid bombing. They just wanted to get through it as fast as possible so not to seem over zealous in such a delicate period of time.

On another note, I don't know why but I like how Queen Noor looks :blush:

eek I tried to post a picture and I messed up :yuk:

i realize now you guys are right-- maybe the reason for their somberness is theyre downplaying the pomp of the wedding due to the bombing that happened a few months ago. i understand now, yet i still think letizia couldve picked something more regal than her gown. its simple and its got a nice subdued collar. but im thinking about princess diana and her pearl studded gown and upturned collar :woot: now THAT is pure class and PURE princess.

as far as queen noor is concerned== yes i do like her as well :-)
here's a funny foto of the danish queen :smile:
i like her a lot :smile: she is cute hehehe

Attachments

• queenduck.jpg
    queenduck.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres