Style Icon - No way!

I'm all for this thread, I hate hollywood and everything about it. Including a dime a dozen coked up 'starlets' who fancy themselves 'style icons'.

I definitely agree that there are celebrities who are overrated as far as their style. Many are like little 5 year old girls who put on what their "mommies" (aka. stylists) lay out on the bed for them in the morning. However, I also think there are celebs who needed direction or who were maybe too afraid to take the risk and express themselves through their clothing until a stylist led them in the right direction. I think this is the case with Nicole Richie.

To call these girls style icons might be too extreme...or maybe not. It all depends on what your definition of style icon is. To me, it is people like Audrey Hepburn, Jackie O, and Grace Kelly. Some might argue that it is anyone who sets the trends you find in shopping malls nowadays, in which case you could say Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, and Mischa Barton. I actually think "style icon" is a very personal term, which is what makes this forum so much fun-- so many interesting opinions! :D

Young actresses like Lidsay Lohan and Mischa Barton don't really cear about there acting career all they want is to be loved by the fashion world, and do some crappy movies just to make money. I usually don't really care what celebs choose (or what there stylist chooses for them) to wear. Most people tend to look to stars to much, while most don't really don't know anything about fashion (they are not special just because they are famous!) Some celebs dress very well, like Chloe Sevigney (most of the time) or like Mischa Barton used to to (she looks a little to Lidsay these days) But most don't have clue what they are doing, or just want to look 'hot' :smile: to much cleavage).
And another thing: Sienna Miller, she usually looks fine, but I don't see anything special or original, she is not a Kate Moss (who is just amazing, now that is an Icon)

Mischa Barton, Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff, Nicole Ritchie....all just recycled clones produced by Rachel Zoe (alright, maybe not Hilary Duff)

I think the term style icon simply gets thrown around far too much, especially by the media which is always desperate to overhype the latest person following trends at the behest of their stylists :innocent: That isn't to say that they don't look nice from time to time, or that it's their fault that their labeled "icons". But the term style icon suggests something more than just following trends, getting press coverage and causing half a dozen people to copy the look in every day life :unsure:

Fabulyss said:
I'm all for this thread, I hate hollywood and everything about it. Including a dime a dozen coked up 'starlets' who fancy themselves 'style icons'.

Can we form a club please? :wink:

And Tiffany, you're right.

That is what the trouble with the media is they seem to think designer labels equals to style. I would say Helena Christensen is a real style icon she always manages to look different from the norm.

A while back I was talking to a friends husband and mentioned a famous person whose sense of style I find laughable even if they do wear what is "in". The friends husband laughed at me and "informed" me that this person was indeed the height of fashion because they always wore Versace and D&G.:shock:

I like Sadie Frost ( I know people dislike her) despite sometimes getting it wrong she has always been pretty original and again always looks different then Zoes Barbies. Her outfit at the Elle Style awards was simple yet it worked.

australian_girl said:
style icons are people who influence style.

Mary-Kate Olsen influenced Marc Jacobs and many other top designers mentioned the olsens.

Have you not seen the catwalk lately? All of the top designers have outfits that are screaming MK. Whether you think they have style or not, you can not deny it, these girls have influenced fashion. From the catwalk these looks are watered down to eventually filter into mainstream chain stores.

But i agree they are too young to be considered style icons. To say that any of the "it stars" are style icons is absurd. How can you say this after a couple of trendy seasons.

I do beleive that MK&A Olsen will stand the test of time.

Also i think Ashley differs from the bartons,richies and lohans because she shows youth but MATURITY in her clothes. Something the other brats are largely lacking. (Sorry to offend anyone by calling them brats).

When you see girls shopping in the city, you can tell the ones that are just rich and can afford to buy from designers and follow trends, and than you see the ones that actually have their own style.

This I 100% agree with and under that I will put people Like the Wags, having the latest Chloe does not make you an icon it just means you havefar to much money and time. I still use my Le Dix (oh the shame) because I like it and it suits my lifestyle does this mean that I have no style? No it means I have a bag that I like for it's function rather then show my status.

I hate when celebrities with stylists are praised for their style (as its usually not their own) Otherwise they wouldnt need the stylist! Lindsay lohan constantly looks like trash and trys so hard it hurts and so do the rest of her little crew.

I have no problem with praising a celebrity's style that has been created by a stylist. Even Audrey Hepburn had stylists and people to help them, it is very rare that any celeb does it by themselves. Stylists are there to work for them, to create them a personal style.

Of course, the fashion world is boring these days and all the stylists copy Kate Moss, who copies her looks from Brigitte Bardot etc...

The whole thing about style is it is supposed to be personal. Hepburn may of had help but she was still original.

Kate Moss draws inspiration from past icons such as Pallenberg and Faithfull etc but at least she is not taking it from present people.

^^^ And by that I mean their past style, I am well aware that Pallenberg and Faithfull are still alive!

I don't think many celebs are true style icons really. They are getting so much free clothes etc from various designers, plus their stylists as previously mentioned and this is what influnences their style, not what they put together themselves.

I think most of the people on here are style icons more than celebs, because your average person is going to be more concerned with the cost of clothes and being seen in the latest up and coming designer. To a real icon, being comfortable and enjoying what you wear is much more important!

^^^ I agree 100% that some of the TFS members so much have a better style then some of the "icons". If you look at the "What are you wearing" thread some of those outfits are amazing and no stylist in sight :flower:

There is an interview with Alex Curran in OK and the magazine has the most laughable quote

Source OK

"Renowned for her innate sense of style 23 year old Alex has become one of the countrys most photographed style icons rivalling fashion queens Kate Moss and Victoria Beckham"

See that is the kind of article which really really really annoys me :angry: Alex Curran is no rival for kate Moss!

I was watching the show called Stylista and the rapper/actress Eve was referred to a style icon. :rofl:

yes today everybody is a style icon! Paris Hilton, Prince Williams girlfriend, the girls from the hills. But what bothers me the most is when they compare them to real icons like audrey, grace kelly and Jackie kennedy or use words like chic-that nowadays have lost its meaning because of the words misuse

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucilam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->