T A T I

brian

Reaction score
wn08f2.jpg

If you like shopping an do not have enough money to visit Cartier or Chanel, Tati is where the French go. There is a real big Tati in Barbes but there are several others all in Paris. You can find them at La Republique, Temple and Opera among others. They are open form 10:00 to 19:00 on weekdays and from 9:15 to 19:00 on saturdays.

Let's get ready to rumble!!! Described by some as the “mosh pit of retail” and "combat shopping", Tati appeals to the lowest common denominator in all of us, whatever that may be. In 1948 Jules Ouaki decided to sell clothes at the lowest prices possible, displaying them like fruit in a market. Thus, Tati (and the sport of discount shopping) was born. Having said that, be prepared for a circus-like atmosphere and “the lowest prices” (their slogan) for things you never knew you needed. The pink gingham shopping bags have as much brand recognition in Paris as our Tiffany’s blue bag. Even the name is evocative, as the experience is completely tatty!

An average hectic day at the Republique store resembles a shark feeding frenzy, the “chum” being $1.99 t-shirts and $3 bras in DDD. Rummaging is de rigeur. You may find yourself fighting with a group of teen-age girls for the same pair of sneakers and tussling over a knock-off Jean-Paul Gaultier skirt with a St Honoré matron. The prices are so low that if you don’t really like what you bought, you can afford to throw it out.

Recently, Tati has tried to diversify by adding a gold jewelry (Tati Or) and candy line, but clothing remains the big bargain.

Another Tati branch is the aforementioned one at 13 Place de la Republique (3rd Arr). Tati Or is located at 19 Rue de la Paix (2nd Arr). Tati Bonbons is located at 26 Rue St-Denis (1st Arr.)

:heart: :heart: :heart:

...quite frankly one of the best stores ever... i love tati... share your experiences!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tati - the real cheap n chic

The first time I knew Tati when I was reading Readers Digest. Did you know that Azzedine Alaia did design several items for TATI in exchange of permission to use it's trademark pink and white check?

my biggest connection to tati is the fact that azzedine alaia used the checkerboard print from the famous tati awnings as the print for one of his best collections ever in the 80's...

so that was one of the 'must see' places when i went to paris the first time...

:P

softgrey said:
my biggest connection to tati is the fact that azzedine alaia used the checkerboard print from the famous tati awnings as the print for one of his best collections ever in the 80's...

.... yes :crush: ....

...but actually it was used in the s/s 1991 collection...

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh...thanks brian...very cool...
wanna see pics?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adam90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->