Talk Magazine (1999-2002)

LylaScans

Reaction score
What a way to start my first topic with a magazine I know and love well. Talk Magazine started as a project between Tina Brown, Miramax Pictures and Hearst Publishing in 1999 - the project was announced that February, and the first issue came out on August 3, 1999. It was a rival of sorts to Brown's former magazine, Vanity Fair, which then was (and still is) edited by E Graydon Carter.

Talk was most famous for its launch - a big event on August 2, the day before the issue was to come to news stands. Madonna, Demi Moore, Sarah J-P, Robert De Niro, and Hugh Grant all attended. Macy Gray (remember her?) performed. Chinese lanterns and fireworks lit up the sky. I was ten months old. Unfortunately, Talk wasn't that big of a success, and, due to 9/11, Talk's advertising sales plummeted, leading the magazine to close down in early 2002. In 2010, Brown called the magazine a "great experiment".

Most of the things in it are entertainment pieces, even though there are fashion pieces in it too - the September issue has both Carolyn Murphy and Alek Wek, and Patrick Demarchelier, Ellen von Unwerth and Michel Comte were resident photographers. As well, there are many fashion ads. Sir John Birt's [apparent] brother, Michael, had what I call a half-portfolio and half-column, called "Talking Pictures". Martin Amis, Nigella Lawson and Fran Lebowitz have all contributed.

None of these - they are all my scans - have been uploaded to TFS yet, and some are more HQ than others due to a hard drive error wiping all my stuff - thankfully I backed most of it up. First up is the September 1999 issue, and the review - and scans - will be posted by Sunday.

And just for justaguy's clarification: it's American.

Can't wait to see scans! You're insightful description has made me very curious.

It is, Lyla?!?! Wow, I'm really out of touch!

You asked for it, I've got it.

TALK MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1999: Various by various

my scan.

Last edited by a moderator:
TALK MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1999
Here's what's in this issue:

Las Vegas Fight Style (6 pages)
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Brana Wolf
Hair: Didier Malige/Frederic Fekkai
Make Up: Mary Greenwell/Elizabeth Arden
Model: Carolyn Murphy
- Carolyn at a boxing match. Cameos by Tony Curtis, George Foreman et al. This was done shortly before her bump-bump tape scandal.

Fur Sure (2 pages-ish)
Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld
Stylist: Eric Wright
Hair: Diego/L'Atelier 68
Make Up: Ian Jefferies/NARS
Models: Alek Wek and unknown
- Feature on Steve Gold, a fur couturier. Photo that accompanies it is Alek in a fur bikini alongside an utm male model. Just them on a white background sitting, kinda boring.

Talk to the Queen (1 page)
Photographer: Michel Comte
Stylist: Joanna Jacovini
Hair: Julie Taylor/Mason Entertainment Group
Make Up: Roxanna Floyd/Zoli Illusions
Manicure: Roseann Singleton/JGK
Star: Queen Latifah
- B&W photo of Latifah, eyes closed, mouth agape and barefoot. She is one of the people I'm happy Michel Comte has shot, I love him

Try To Remember This Kind Of September (6 pages)
Photographer: Michael Birt
Styling: Janine Corletta (Ford) and Wendy Baird (Polish brothers)
Hair: Michael Kriston (Ford)
Grooming: Ciona/Carol Hayes (McQueen, Grant), Todd Kleitsch (Ford), Dana Hawkins (Williams) and Barbara Farman/Cloutier (Polish brothers)
Stars: Alexander Mcqueen, Harrison Ford, Ricky Williams, Mark & Michael Polish and Hugh Grant
- Avedon-ish photos of all the above men. This is Michael's first "Talking Pictures" columny-thingy - I read on another forum he is the brother of former BBC controller Sir John Birt. I'm not inspired by this, you'll have to wait until next issue to see the only good shot he did for this)

Angel (3 pages)
Make Up: Paul Starr/Smashbox
Star: Angelina Jolie
- Usual sex-symboly photos of Angelina on a bed. She's blonde in this, and there's a bit of nippage in the first photo.

Give Me My Dream Roles! (9 pages)
Photographer: Ellen von Unwerth (Barrymore), Dahlen (Everett) and Patrick Demarchelier (Paltrow)
Styling: Joe Zee (Paltrow)
Hair: Jillian Fink/Delux/Smashbox (Barrymore), Susan Germaine/Lorenz-Germaine (Everett), John Blaine/Celestine/Products by MOP (Extras in the Everett photo) and John Sahag (Paltrow)
Make Up: Jillian Fink/Delux/Smashbox (Barrymore) and Denise Markey/Club Monaco (Paltrow)
Grooming: Klexius Kolby/Visages (Everett) and Asia Geiger/Visages (Extras in the Everett photo)
Manicure: Lisa Jachno/OPI/Cloutier (Everett)
Prop Styling: Jason Hamilton/AGM (Barrymore & Everett)
Stars: Drew Barrymore, Rupert Everett and Gwyneth Paltrow
- A multi-photographer special feature of three actors doing their favourite roles. Drew Barrymore as Esther Williams, Rupert Everett as (a bisexual) James Bond, and Gwyneth Paltrow as both Barbarella and Bettie Page (the latter she was pushed into doing by Harvey Weinstein). The latter shot (Paltrow as Page) is the most famous photo from the magazine's run. The only bit in the issue that doesn't bore me (aside from the QL shot).

In this issue, not scanned: Hillary Clinton by Michel Comte (too political for TFS?), Martin Amis on Hannibal Lecter, young John-John Kennedy by Peter Beard (who had been killed a couple of weeks prior to publishing - Kennedy, not Beard) and George W Bush.

Ads (I might scan:( Liz Hurley for Estee Lauder Pleasures, Karen Mulder for Gucci, Introducing Dorothy Dandrige, Francis Ford Coppola for Robert Mondavi Wines, Ines Sastre for Lancome, Kate Moss for Burberry, Claudia Mason (wild guess) for Giorgio Armani, Karen Mulder again (I think) for Victoria's Secret, Absolut Bleckner, Cindy Crawford for Ellen Tracy, Milla Jovovich (another wild guess) for Versace, and many others.

Las Vegas Fight Style (6 pages)

Stylist: Brana Wolf
Make Up: Mary Greenwell/Elizabeth Arden
Model: Carolyn Murphy

my scans

Fur Sure (2 pages-ish)

Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld
Stylist: Eric Wright
Hair: Diego/L'Atelier 68
Make Up: Ian Jefferies/NARS
Models: Alek Wek and unknown

my scans

Talk to the Queen (1 page)
Hair: Julie Taylor/Mason Entertainment Group
Make Up: Roxanna Floyd/Zoli Illusions
Manicure: Roseann Singleton/JGK
Star: Queen Latifah

my scans

Try To Remember This Kind Of September (6 pages)

Styling: Janine Corletta (Ford) and Wendy Baird (Polish brothers)
Hair: Michael Kriston (Ford)
Grooming: Ciona/Carol Hayes (McQueen, Grant), Todd Kleitsch (Ford), Dana Hawkins (Williams) and Barbara Farman/Cloutier (Polish brothers)
Stars: Alexander Mcqueen, Harrison Ford, Ricky Williams, Mark & Michael Polish and Hugh Grant

my scans

Angel (3 pages)

Make Up: Paul Starr/Smashbox
Star: Angelina Jolie

my scans

Give Me My Dream Roles! (9 pages)

Photographer: Ellen von Unwerth (Barrymore), Dahlen (Everett) and Patrick Demarchelier (Paltrow)
Styling: Liz + Ford/Rex (Barrymore), Charlie Altuna/AGM (Everett) and Joe Zee (Paltrow)
Hair: Jillian Fink/Delux/Smashbox (Barrymore), Susan Germaine/Lorenz-Germaine (Everett), John Blaine/Celestine/Products by MOP (Extras in the Everett photo) and John Sahag (Paltrow)
Make Up: Jillian Fink/Delux/Smashbox (Barrymore) and Denise Markey/Club Monaco (Paltrow)
Grooming: Klexius Kolby/Visages (Everett) and Asia Geiger/Visages (Extras in the Everett photo)
Manicure: Lisa Jachno/OPI/Cloutier (Everett)
Prop Styling: Jason Hamilton/AGM (Barrymore & Everett)
Stars: Drew Barrymore, Rupert Everett and Gwyneth Paltrow

my scans

Not what I expected! Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing and all the detailed information, Lyla!

Tomorrow (today over here, it's past 1 in the morning!) I'll be posting the October issue and maybe the December/January issue from 1999 too, then I'll be done unless I get another issue or someone decides to put scans from the magazine by other sources.

TALK MAGAZINE OCTOBER 1999: Various by various

In this issue:

October Surprises, And Not A Pumpkin Among Them (4 pages)
Styling: Janine Corletta (Carpinello/Price)
Hair: Julia (L) Walker (Goldberg, she is/was her personal)
Makeup: Michael Germain (Goldberg, he is/was also her personal)
Grooming: Virginie Bayod/Frederic Fekkai (Fallon) and Brett Jackson/Awake (Carpinello)
Stars: Jimmy Fallon, Whoopi Goldberg, James Carpinello & Paige Price and Nicholas Ghesquiere
- justaguy, this is the one with the topless photo of Whoopi we were PMing about. Similar to the last one, but infinitely better due to the aforementioned shot (that ended up being talked about in the Washington Post and the Trib!). Jimmy is on a beach like his Vanity Fair cover, but without VS angels.

Screen Heat: Charlize and Ben (2 pages)
Photographer: Davis Factor
Stylist: Misty Lawrence
Hair: Robert Vetica/Nubest & Co/Cloutier
Makeup: Collier Strong/Cloutier
Star: Charlize Theron
- Charlize nude but covered clearly giving straight men eye bleach so they can rinse out memories of the former ed. This is promo for the movie "Reindeer Games".

Johnny Depp Isn’t Johnny Depp Anymore (4 pages)
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier (Depp), Ellen von Unwerth (Paradis)
Grooming: Didier Malige/Frederick Fekkai
Stars: Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis
- Johnny in a garden, archival shot of Vanessa is in there too.

Ms. Taylor Will See You Now (10 pages)
Hair: Jose Eber
Makeup: Francesca Tolot/Cloutier
Star: Elizabeth Taylor
- Only two Comte shots, but more are available on the internet. Has lots of archival shots there too.

Not scanned - Vince McMahon, Steve Austin, Joanie Laurer et al by Platon, Hilary Swank by Bumper, something by Nigella, a NSFL photo of Vladmir Nabokov with writing by Susan Sontag, Philippe Starck by Max Vadukul and Jocelyn Montgomery by Uli Weber.

Ads (which I will put up) - Liz Hurley for Estee Lauder Dazzling, Laetitia Casta for Victoria's Secret, Kate Moss for Burberry, Bridget Hall (?) for Dior, Karen Mulder for Gucci, Carmen Kass for Le Sac Chanel, Chris Rock for his talk show, Gisele Bundchen, Elsa Benitez, Bridget Hall again, Kate Moss again and Nadja Auermann for Versace Jeans, and many others which I haven't scanned.

^ Some of the information is wrong and I can't edit it - it's Vladimir Mayakovsky and Francine Du Plessix Gray, not Vladimir Nabokov and Susan Sontag! And WARNING: THAT SHOT BELOW! (which thumbnail is smaller as it's in an already existing gallery)

TALK MAGAZINE OCTOBER 1999
October Surprises, And Not A Pumpkin Among Them (4 pages)

Styling: Janine Corletta (Carpinello/Price)
Hair: Julia (L) Walker (Goldberg, she is/was her personal)
Makeup: Michael Germain (Goldberg, he is/was also her personal)
Grooming: Virginie Bayod/Frederic Fekkai (Fallon) and Brett Jackson/Awake (Carpinello)
Stars: Jimmy Fallon, Whoopi Goldberg, James Carpinello & Paige Price and Nicholas Ghesquiere

my scans

Screen Heat: Charlize and Ben (2 pages)

Photographer: Davis Factor
Stylist: Misty Lawrence
Hair: Robert Vetica/Nubest & Co/Cloutier
Makeup: Collier Strong/Cloutier
Star: Charlize Theron

my scans

Johnny Depp Isn’t Johnny Depp Anymore (4 pages)

Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier (Depp), Ellen von Unwerth (Paradis)
Grooming: Didier Malige/Frederick Fekkai
Stars: Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis

my scans

Ms. Taylor Will See You Now (10 pages)

Hair: Jose Eber
Makeup: Francesca Tolot/Cloutier
Star: Elizabeth Taylor

my scans

TALK MAGAZINE DECEMBER 1999/JANUARY 2000 - Various by various

In this issue:
They Owned the 90s (6 pages)
Hair: Joshua Barrett/Artists (Stewart) and Andre Walker (Winfrey, another personal)
Makeup: Joshua Barrett/Artists (Stewart) and Fran Cooper/Stephen Knoll (Winfrey)
Grooming: Sarah Sullivan/Celestine (Kelley)
Stars: Martha Stewart, Jeff Bezos, David E Kelley, Miuccia Prada, Oprah Winfrey and Steve Wynn
- The least inspiring Talking Pictures I've seen. No lengthy black woman chat show host boobs this time, unfortunately, even though Oprah was in The Color Purple too.

Farrah Fawcett’s Crazy Comeback (7 pages)
Photographer: Ellen von Unwerth
Stylists: Liz + Ford/Rex
Hair: Clyde Haygood/J.F Lazartigue/AGM
Makeup: Paul Starr/Smashbox
- Not that Von Unwerth-y to be honest. Good to see Farrah pose for her. RIP, of course.

Milennium Man (6 pages)
Photographer: Oliviero Toscani
Stylists: Scott Newkirk
Grooming: Cheri Minns
Star: Robin Williams
- This is to promote Bicentennial Man, so he's with the Robot. Who knew Robin posed for the Benneton image maker?

Destination Mars (3 pages)
Stylist: Freddie Leiba
Hair: Oribe
Makeup: Kevyn Aucoin
Star: Elizabeth Hurley
- Obvious Demarchelier sexpot crap that they've churned out every issue (okay, aside from the October issue, that was reserved for Davis Factor). B-movie themed shoot with midgets playing martians.

It’s All About Ice (4 pages)
Photographer: Oliviero Toscani
Stylists: Candy Pratts Price (all 4) & Misa Hylton/Chyna Doll (additional styling for Kim)
Hair: Dionne Alexander/Dionne’s (Kim)
Makeup: Nzhinga/Deborah Martin (Kim) & Justin Henry (Eve)
Grooming: Sacha/Cameron (Juvenile, Treach)
Star: Lil’ Kim, Juvenile, Treach (from Naughty by Nature) and Eve
- Best bit of the issue. Grey background, four rappers, and a whole load of jewels. Nice!

Not scanned: Ava Gardner feature, thing about the Enquirer, Nell Campbell parties of the decade, and I don't know if Fran L did a thing for this at all, I get so mixed up, but I swear she did something for this issue. NOT SO MUCH AN EDIT, I'VE CHECKED: She didn't do anything, but a photo of her was in the Nell Campbell feature, so that's how I got mixed up.

Ads: uh... the same old stuff from the last two issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->