Testing and your Portfolio, for Freelance Stylists, Hair/Makeup Artists etc.

Hi ladies and gents!

I've been super busy but I'd did manage to get a post up on my website, Stylebites, about this very issue.

I second what BetteT is saying. I don't think that a standard size portfolio is neccessary, as long as what you have looks nice and says something about your work. If you're artistically inclined (as you probably are if you're a stylist of any sort) then you might create something super spectacular with an industrial artist friend. I've been wanting to do something super minimalist with thin, brushed wood covers and a special binding... As long as it doesn't look like a scrapbook cover. You don't want anything busy. The pictures should do the talking.

Read more about it here.

Good luck to everyone working on their first book! :flower:

Does one need a portfolio to apply for an internship or apprenticeship for a stylist?

I'm a college student. I don't know any photographers or models. I don't have any connections.

Not really:

An intern or assistant only does grunt work, anyway (running errands, steaming clothing, light sewing, carrying wardrobe around, keeping things organized, etc.) So they just need to show that they are prepared to work hard ... it's really physical work. The creative work will still be done by the stylist. I know that a portfolio is not important to me for someone to assist.

However, if you are at the level that you might want to assist (paid) agency stylists from time to time ... the agency will expect you to have some real experience under your belt and will want to see a developed portfolio (probably with tear sheets and some client work in it).

Last edited by a moderator:
oh this is good! i'm a photographer and i'm planning a trip to nyc in april to meet with some editors etc. and this is really good advice. i need to put together a really, really nice book of my work and i've been gathering ideas. this is a great resource!

i second what bette says...
assistants don't usually have books yet and interns certainly don't...
but working as an asst or intern is a great way to start to make those connections that will get you started doing tests and putting together your first shoots...

ie- approach the photo assts on set to see if they are interested in testing...
i've even had models offer to test with me when i was an asst just becuase they lked me and thought i knew what i was doing i guess...

i did a test with heidi klum back when i was an asst...
she was on the job and me and the photo asst did some pictures with her because she wanted some more editorial shots for her book...
it was totally fun!...

good luck and enjoy yourself...!!..xx
remember--it's still an amazing job --no matter how much hard work it is!!!

a very nice book for portfolio, NYC

:woot: Hello,

I am looking for a nice new book for my portfolio 11x14 in NYC but I am so dissapointed, no book really attracts me....
Can you help? Where can I buy a niceeeeee book? :judge:

Thank you:zorro:

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
House of Portfolios on 21 street, same as Brewer Cantelmo but quite a bit cheaper. Talk to them and see what you can come up with.

I got tired of the basic books had a girlfriend who used to teach bookbinding teach me how to make portfolios. $30 dollars in supplies and I now have photo editors commenting how nice my book matches my photography.

Thanks guys. I actually looked at the www for House of portfolios....but so bad....hopefully when I come inside would be better.
I was also thinking of doing my own book. I did one for school before, so it shouldn't be so difficult...

Also I check out 3w.lost luggage.com

one other choice would be to go to the www.centerforbookarts.org I believe that they are on 27th street and will be able to help you find a person to make what you have in mind. I did this about 5 years ago, and I would hook you up with the person I used but she moved back to Japan.

Brewer Cantelmo ...I went there...omg! the guy couldn't find the examples of portfolios I was looking for...
House of portfolios...the binding part in the middle of metal portfolios looked really bad done...
LESider, can you navigate me for hand made portfolio? I would be really grateful. The one for school looked a bit amateur though

Thx

Linda,

Check back in this thread, post #9 where I posted a few links (before I merged the two threads). One of them does amazing custom work .. I think it's nabookarts.com.

Nicole Anderson does really beautiful work and if you only need one book then its definatly worth the money. I need at least 5 books and really couldn't afford her.
I would go down to the center for book arts on 27th and talk to who ever is working there and see what they can do. There are some really talented people there and you wont get a run of the mill House of Portfolio book.

The lost luggage ones are cute, a bit generic but cute. One of the artists I rep did some really cute slip covers out of fabric and leather to update her old books. They look really put together. The BIGGEST thing about a book for me is that it should be neat. Before it's graphically interesting, it must be clean, the pages should be clear (not muddy and dusty) and the ARRANGEMENT of the photos is very important. There must be flow. I take into account the contents of the book before I put into consideration the personality of the actual porftolio book.

On a young artist I would prefer to see a generic black leather book with your name embossed on it, than a poorly executed quirky book.

thank you softgrey for the info about allbrightnyc.com ....it will be very useful for me...i have a question (for anyone who can help me) if u are interested in any agency to see your work,you just make an appoinment?....is there any styling advise consultant?...im talking in NYC....thanks

Regarding books...

I've done many tests so far and I'm quite happy because I realize now that I have an actual body of work. There are even more photos I'm waiting for...

Anyhow-I've read somewhere on this thread that 15 pages is a good starting amount. I've this amount, maybe a lil' more. Now, my mission is to get them printed (so far they are up on network site) and get them into a nice book.

I hear that a personalized book is nice with name engraved such as pleather. But I read somewhere that the work should reflect the showiness of your book...does that make sense? :blink:

In conclusion, I would like to know of a real good place to get a book in NY and in LA. I'll be going there soon. Thanks all!

Just wondering if there was anyone still hanging around this thread and if they had answers to my previous post above. Thanks.

I'm hanging around this thread and I have a few questions of my own. Are you asking about where to get your pictures printed up? I just discovered this place, reccomended by a photog friend of mine in Boston, and I am quite impressed: http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=compinfo.CompStoreLoc
They linked me to this place that also impressed me: (LA/ W.coast:( http://www.westcoastimaging.com/

My questions:
Question 1:
I just got back photos from a test w/ the photog and a male model. The male model was pretty scraggly and unshaven, the makeup artist slacked and didnt powder him, etc. And I assumed the photographer would take care of this in the retouch process, but he didnt. The "finished" photos look the same as the proofs, w/ none of this corrected. I'd like to use some shots for my book if I can get this fixed.

So question: can I find a professional retoucher to retouch the photos? Is that allowed/ accepted, in terms of copyright? Should I go back to the photog and ask? Any suggestions for how to handle this?

Question 2:
What is an acceptable amount of time for a photographer to take to turnaround the film to you, or to at least show me some proofs?

On Q #1, the copyright agreement doesnt mention retouching or altering; it just talks about the spec's of the watermark.

Actually, you need specific written permission to alter the image in any way. the copyright is the photographers and the images belong to him. I"m not saying it isn't done ... but if you value your relationship with the photographer or might use him for referrals, it's probably best to at least ask him for permission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->