That's sooo 2000s

^ A lot of unfortunately survived well into the 00s. Especially Louis Vuitton's and Dior's monograms.

^ A lot of unfortunately survived well into the 00s. Especially Louis Vuitton's and Dior's monograms.

Oooh LV monograms are really bad. But I can't recall ever seeing a dior one. Gucci is also really bad.

^ Yes, sorry I meant Gucci, not Dior...though Dior also had a bad monorgram phase.

^A friend of mine had Dior Moon Boots (!) in baby pink with monograms all over it. Most hideous thing ever :lol:

I've always hated the LV monogram craze :ninja:

Ruffle skirts and Hard Tail.

Juicy couture sweats.

Uggs.

Frankie B. jeans

^A friend of mine had Dior Moon Boots (!) in baby pink with monograms all over it. Most hideous thing ever :lol:

I've always hated the LV monogram craze :ninja:

I dislike all monogram crazes. I think it sometimes makes clothing look like advertisements; it takes the focus away from the clothing and the design, especially if the monogram or name/label is repeated or large or bold.

In my opinion, the noughties where defined by these in terms of fashion:
Anything with writing on the butt
Wrippped clothes
Abercrombie/Hollister
Ed Hardy
Crocs
Huge sunglasses
Huge Bags
Uggs
McQueen Skull Scarves
LV Monograms
Minimalism (can't believe this hasn't been mentioned much)
I actually think the hipster style is growing, at least in my region (around D.C.) it was never really popular, at least I haven't noticed it, until now.

Oh and a REALLY big one for guys: sagging pants. No one does it any more besides the ghetto/wannbe ghetto kids at my school, when a couple years ago (and before that) EVERYONE did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I have to say that the uggs-thing just started over here. Everyone is running around in this ****. The same for Abercombie.

A good thing I've noticed, that is a part of the 2000s is the good old dior madhouse.
It began in the late 90s when Galliano took over the creative direction but had it's heydays around 2003/2004. Everytime I look at the Pharao-collection (must've been 2004) I realise how much I miss it! Now Dior is all boring and plain.

These things....
shutter-glasses.jpg

brandsonabudget.com

The 2000s will be known for the whole blogger aesthetic-- mixing high-and low, skinny jeans, ankle boots, black tights with everything, pigeon-toed pretentious posing..etc

Also I think there was an explosion in the awareness and desire for high luxury- Balenciaga and Balmain both had their moments. There was also the popularity of Hermes bags and the resurgence of fur.

Reality TV also had a huge affect on the public awareness of fashion. I Think it started with The Hills/Teen Vogue connection then exploded with shows like Project runway, Rachel Zoe, The City which made the fashion industry more accessible to the general public.

In a good way-Mcqueen. The 2000's were the height of his popularity and unfortunately his demise.

Skinny jeans
Low rise jeans
Uggs
Juicy Couture and velour tracksuits
Ankle boots
Ed Hardy
Emos
Hipsters/Indies
Flip flops
Leggings/jeggings

I think the interesting thing about the 2000s is that there were not very many original looks. Most of the memorable trends or fads that can be considered a distinct and original product of the 2000s are rather embarrassing. There was a lot of great fashion during the 2000s but most of it just revived or referenced looks from prior decades. Trends don't automatically change at the beginning and end of each season though; there will always be a crossover. Due to this I think it will be easier to identify a 'look' of the 2000s in next 5 years or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 2000s were basically like (at least where I live)

2000/2003 : somehow that actually was the end of the 90s, still kitsch but much trashier/sluttier.
sq-aguilera-dirrty-thai-poster-rca.jpg

vh1

in parallel : a rather casual style, underground-electro trend (think Royksopp, Modjo).

2004/2006 : still tacky at times. Major trends : girly casual/sporty or boho à la Sienna Miller and Nicole Richie.

http://i61.***********/u/f61/11/11/02/14/53882_10.jpg
carolinedaily

http://i61.***********/u/f61/11/11/02/14/nrichi10.jpg
people

2006 : beginning of the rock/indie/hipster trend, which still kind of lasts today. At first : skinny jeans, bangs, polka dots,etc..a lot people discover a sudden interest in The Libertines, The Beatles, The Strokes and anything rock and indie. Kate Moss is more popular than ever.

2007: still indie/hipster, but with a novelty, the so-called fluokids. The trend is reflected by artists like Klaxons, Yelle, Hadouken!, Justice.

http://i61.***********/u/f61/11/11/02/14/11879410.jpg
ladiz

2008/2009
: growing interest for the fashion world, streetstyle boom, rise of fashion bloggers. People follow the trendy/quirky/daring trends (as epitomized by Lady Gaga). I can't really think of specific items because there are so many, with internet/blogs/forums trends change all the time, they spread quickly and often disappear not long after..

Also : - girly/cutesy style. Think fashion blogs with liberty prints, lace, bows, pictures of cupcakes.
- Vintage has been a trend throughout the decade but it reaches its peak.

So, while reading my post, I fully realized how music trends can influence fashion, or maybe it's the opposite.. :doh:

IMO 00s didn't have that much to offer fashionwise. It was pretty much a (bad if you ask me) mixture of trends by previous decades. Sometimes these trends were slightly altered but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->