The Asian Diet

rollagasper said:
^i'm not sure if their skin has to do with their diet, but on the plus side, oily skinned people don't get wrinkles as early.

Really? I haven't heard that before. I'm assuming that also applies to people who moisturize every day? Or am I wrong?

mlsnts said:
Haha I'm asian and i certainly don't eat like that. If I do I certainly wouldn't look like this.. lol.

I think it's not really an 'asian' diet thing. Those rules are pretty general for anyone who wants to eat healthier.
haha me too and several other 'asians' i know are also not skinny or healthy:ninja:

TheKiwi said:
Really? I haven't heard that before. I'm assuming that also applies to people who moisturize every day? Or am I wrong?

Definitely! Moisturizing makes your skin look good both now and in the future.

Skin is definately related in a large part to diet. I don't know what the nordic people eat but they all have gorgeous skin. Anyway Indian and Chinese food can be far too greasy. The old ladies in those countries lose their hair like men almost. Japanese is the way to go obviously. I am not sure white rice is ideal though.

gius said:
haha me too and several other 'asians' i know are also not skinny or healthy:ninja:

But do you have an authentic asian diet or is it very americanised (cos I noticed you were from Vancouver!)

I'm half Korean and know for a fact that Korean food can be too salty. Japanese food is the healthiest of all Asian food....

SiennaInLondon said:
But do you have an authentic asian diet or is it very americanised (cos I noticed you were from Vancouver!)
Yes, very authentic. I still eat the same food as I would eat if I were there. But I feel I don't feel my best actually, so I'm starting to switch over to something called the 'paleolithic' diet :P I find it's closer to the western (or mediterranean?) diet, and by this I mean vegetables with meat and fermented food regularly...In Asia you often eat rice rice rice

I also kind of agree with eurofashionjunki, It seems like Japan has the healthiest (if you mean the traditional japanese cuisine)... with their very fresh raw fish and they have a lot of soups/stews that are filled with many interesting vegetables. But it's definitely something that takes time to get accustomed to. I still can't stomach some of the stuff:ninja: The taste is just so different

eurofashionjunki said:
Japanese food is the healthiest of all Asian food....
Agreed.Though might not be very tasty(IMHO), it benefits both human health and figure.

I love Japanese food and have it for lunch quite often... ^_^

If only asian food would come more into Europe - especially sushi ! its so cheap and healthy !

^ I guess it varies between countries...? Here in Stockholm there are loads of sushi places (and some nice "real" Japanese restaurants as well) along with Thai, Indian, Korean and so on.

tott said:
^ I guess it varies between countries...? Here in Stockholm there are loads of sushi places (and some nice "real" Japanese restaurants as well) along with Thai, Indian, Korean and so on.

Yeah in Australia there is LOADS everywhere, but i can barely find anything in Europe - but i think its on its way .. i hope so anyway:woot:

ele said:
Yeah in Australia there is LOADS everywhere, but i can barely find anything in Europe - but i think its on its way .. i hope so anyway:woot:

I'm in Australia too and I always go to the 'Sushi Train':P

well, I come from HK, and i have Chinese meal most of the time in my life, so i can tell all of you what is it about...

TheKiwi said:
I think this is directly related to their diets: fish almost daily, vegetable oils, fruits, legumes/nuts/seeds, vegetables, tea, and lots of rice, noodles, breads, and other grains. They typically eat meat and sweets rarely, and drink alcholic beverages moderately. I think this sounds like a very healthy way to eat, and I'd like to try to incorporate more of these foods into my diet. I think another trick is that Asians don't eat a lot of processed foods. Their food also has low saturated and total fat.
http://chetday.com/asiandiet.html

YEs, I do have fish or chicken every single day and a lot of vegetable.. but we have a lot of MEAT too!!! we always perserved sasauges in winter time and it is really really high in fat,,,imagine: there are about 60% of fat in a sausage!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess Asian diet is generally healthier because it doesn't use much salt or oil in cooking.. Chinese meals use Stir-frying, steaming, boiling all the time,, these kind of cooking method use very little oil only ..but in western meal, they always use cooking method like deep-frying, shallow-frying, even the snacks like cookie or cakes make use of lots of fat!!

it is not always true that we don't eat a lot of processed food,, i mean my father has instant noodles every lunch,, we have fast food for like once a week,we eat a lot of processed food like sasuages or ham and canned food sometimes!!

having Asian diet doesn't mean that you will have good skin, it helps a little only.. some of my friend eat healthy and try to aviod fatty food, she still has a lot of acne on her face.. whereas some of them who have fast food all the time managed to have baby skin!!!

i hope all these will help all of you guys to know more about Asian diet..

SiennaInLondon said:
Skin is definately related in a large part to diet. I don't know what the nordic people eat but they all have gorgeous skin. Anyway Indian and Chinese food can be far too greasy. The old ladies in those countries lose their hair like men almost. Japanese is the way to go obviously. I am not sure white rice is ideal though.

What do you mean by nordic people (Scandinavia etc)? In Scandinavia I think the thing that is important in the food is the quality, everything is very natural and unprocessed (in vegetables, fruits...). In a lot countries those things have gotten a little bit polluted.

yes i agree that eating asian doesnt neccesarily give you good skin. but i think japanese is definately the most healthy of asian food, and many japanese people have such nice skin and are slim, as a result of their genetics and also from eating lots of fish which is high in omega 3 which is good for your skin, and also antioxidants from seaweed(which generally many european countries don't eat)and miso and tofu etc. they also tend to eat smaller portions regularly, and also drink lots of sake and green tea (which speeds up your metabolism). but this isnt the case with everyone.

also with other asian indian foods are generally high in fat and spices/chili etc which tend to aggravate skin conditions more, while the chinese takeaway/resturant food you can usually get is generally loaded with fat and sodium. however i know as a fact that the traditional chinese meals (i spent some time in the chinese country) is generally composed of lots of steamed leafy green vegies, rice, tofu, and the occassional piece of meat or fish. most of the time the dishes are steamed, which cooks with the absence of a lot of oil, so it is generally healthier. so i guess there are many aspects that come into it...

I eat brown rice instead of white. You can get it at the Asian supermarket and it tastes the same as white rice. Brown rice is full of fibre...

like what Hipkitten said, i don't think it's about what we eat (because we do have a lot of unhealthy foods too), but rather about portion size.

whenever travelling abroad to western countries i've found that the portion sizes are easily 1.5 times that of what you would normally find here in asia. that has to account for quite a number of calories :ninja:

I can't eat japanese food because nearly everything has meat or fish in it :/

I don't know if this would be much help but between my mother and I, there are tremendous differences in our appearances. She grew up in China, I was born and raised here. She rode her bicycle close to daily and walked a lot, I...was driven to a school that was a few blocks away. She eats small meals and doesn't really like things too bold in flavor (if she absolutely must, then she'll add a bit of soy sauce, otherwise she'll leave things as is). She eats in small amounts but she snacks once or twice a day on crackers or cookies. My mum is in her early fifties and she does not have a single wrinkle, and on top of that, if she had been a bit taller, she'd have supermodel legs. Since she's had me in America, she does not exercise nor does she work. She stays at home and lives the life of a housewife.

Then you have me. I work out about four times a week and my legs look nowhere as slim as my mum's. I'm a vegetarian but I eat all sorts of things, Chinese or not, while my mum's tastes are very limited. Sometimes I forget to eat, sometimes I eat all my meals in one sitting. I walk a good deal more than my mom and go out of my way to exercise. But then again, when I was a kid, I was chubby as hell. Never exercised, and gorged myself on junk food. Now that I'm in college, I've slimmed down a lot but still not as impossibly slim as my mum is (and she puts no effort into this!)

I don't really know if this is the "Asian diet" but this is what dinner looks like at my house: white jasmine rice, either boiled or stir fried Chinese cabbage of some sort, steamed fish, some meat stir fried with a bit of oil, and maybe a hard boiled egg once or twice a week. Although recently, my mum has been getting into the habit of putting more protein in our meals. She's been pairing tofu with edamame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->