The Modern Turban / Headwrap

i made one last year in royal blue satin and i loved it

The Jewish turban

I love these. Bought two the other day from a local designer (see pic below). I see them on Hassidic women in my hood all the time.

I was wondering if anyone else was familiar with them and if other designers make them as well?

source: etsy.com from blackmarketbaby store

Attachments

• il_430xN.178975667.jpg
    il_430xN.178975667.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but I'm really, really offended by this thread. Just because you think they look good doesn't mean you should wear them; they actually serve a religious purpose not something to make you look fashionable. This is cultural appropriation, meaning you are adopting certain elements of ones culture. These turbans are a form of religious garb and has the same equation of wearing a Native American warbonnet or a burka. You wouldn't wear either items just because you think it looks nice, would you? Its highly offensive to people. I think you might want to think twice before you wear it out in public, especially if you live in an area which has a lot of Hassidic Jews, they wont appreciate seeing someone taking elements of their religion in order to look stylish.

^I guess you were quite offended by Prada SS07 then? :lol: I can't see how this is offensive. We have a hijab thread too, you know, which gets a lot of love

^ I actually have no problem with the hijab thread because the people who are wearing them are actually of that faith. It would be different then if people who are not Muslim were wearing a hijab, its taking something of religious importance and degrading its significant to one of fashion. In theory I don't have issues with this thread but what does irk me is when people who aren't Jewish are wearing a turban/anything of religious significance and they are not of this faith. I personally think that its wrong to wear items of clothing which have such significance in peoples lives but you know, thats just my opinion.

But in all fairness that style of turban, or any kind of turban for that matter, isn't strictly a religiously significant head covering, and is certainly not customarily worn by any sect of the Jewish community. It's not like a yarmulke. That turban is a fashion item that was most likely adopted by Orthodox Jewish women because it looks stylish and it serves the purpose of covering their head. As far as I'm aware it has absolutely no religious significance and is certainly not only worn by Jews.

So I tend to agree with Spike .... I believe that it's just another way to cover the hair to meet a religious requirement. However, I don't believe that it's specifically "Jewish" at all.

I'm assuming that this photo shows her real hair ... so if that's the case, then this actually would not meet the religious requirement to cover a woman's hair after she marries. The woman would have to hide her hair underneath ... or that would have to be a wig.

I remember my Mom and my step Mom both wearing something almost identical in the 50's ... and it was just a style that was popular then (we are not Jewish). It was a stylish way to cover the head when it was cold and they both used it when they had "bad hair" days. They also wore "babushka's" (Russian, I beleive, which means grandmother) which are just head scarves and brimmed hats that had scarves attached and could be wrapped around the neck. None had any religious significance ... except that my step Mom was Catholic and in those days women had to cover the top of their heads to go inside the Church, so she would do sometimes wear a turban to Church in the winter.

Just wanted to point out that this particular headpiece isn't only used by Jews but also for Muslim women who choose the turban over the hijab. Just an info :flower:

Yeah, I am not bothered by non-religious people wearing religious symbols, but I think calling this the "Jewish turban" is very uninformed and ignorant. Can't we just call it the "half-turban" or a small turban or something?

^
excuse me?
i AM jewish if that makes any difference (NOT) but that turban has no religious significance whatsoever, just like a beret, a snood, or a headscarf. its just that it IS traditional jewish headwear wether the politically correct police likes it or not.
most people call the keffiyeh the palestinian scarf dont they? and that scarf has huge political significance unlike the turban....meh.

I was wondering if anyone else was familiar with them and if other designers make them as well?

So, now that we've established that it may be traditional headwear, but doesn't have any religious significance .... why don't we get back to helping her identify other designers?

I really like the turban trend. I really want this one from Asos.

source:asos.com

I love this trend but my hair is a just above shoulder length bob. Would it look as good as on long hair?

Well... Many things had had religious significance before became ... just a thing. Like the big necklace cross. I'm christian but I don't wear it because of this. And I have to say that the cross is a bigger symbol than the turban!! Almost every symbol had been used in religion. And something more - the turban is NOT religious symbol, it's just tradition. Yes, tradition that have religious background, but not symbol by itself.

About the trend... I didn't like it in the beginning, but now I'm obsessed with it! I don't like hats and I was searching for something that covers my head AND ears, without wearing these ridiculous hats with ear coverers. The turbans are just perfect!

catherine-baba-turban-by-hanneli-mustaparta.jpg

WANT. The color is gorgeous. I really love this trend. :wub:

1zxbj7l.png

etsy | BabooshkaBoutique

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iphone4321
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"