The Next True Rockstar

rollagasper said:
This might be why it's so hard to find a "true rockstar" these days because true rockstars have to be popular but also appeal to a wide fanbase, not just young kids who listen to the radio incessantly and have no opinions of their own.

Actually, I think people tend to have more interesting tastes when they're young and then they settle down, have kids, a house and a dog and that's it. Maybe a little inoffensive background music once in a while.

What's a bit strange to me is that the rock stars of today with the exception of Pete Doherty, don't really manage to attract even the attention of the tabloids. Pretty curious. My guess is that there is some marketing strategies that are messed up because of the p2p problem.

If we're talking rock star- meaning rock music, not pop music...

I agree with iluvjeisa in that I think that the 80's/90's produced Kurt Kobain, Manson, Axl Rose, as well as Billy Corgan, Anthony Keidis and Scott Weiland as the rock stars that come to my mind. But for now, I think the most influential are Thom Yorke, Conor Oberst and Jack & Megan White... the rest is just kind of fun, poppy rock that has always saturated the mainstream rock moment, but aren't really pushing forward in ways that will be remembered as innovative.

iluvjeisa said:
Actually, I think people tend to have more interesting tastes when they're young and then they settle down, have kids, a house and a dog and that's it. Maybe a little inoffensive background music once in a while.

What's a bit strange to me is that the rock stars of today with the exception of Pete Doherty, don't really manage to attract even the attention of the tabloids. Pretty curious. My guess is that there is some marketing strategies that are messed up because of the p2p problem.

hey, you never know! my biology teacher who looks like the most calm person is actually a huge led zeppelin fan whose seen led and the who and thelikes dozens of times!

But you're right that most adults who settle down probably dont' look into more interesting music. What i was referring to as adult was more like 16 - 30, the age where you discover yourself, is still young but not easily-influenced young.

^^ I don't think that's true at all. It really isn't age, its just whether the person has always been passionate about music or not. I know a lot of middle-aged peopl who are very interested in music, and others who don't really care what they are listening to because it is just background.

Twill Bill said:
^^ I don't think that's true at all. It really isn't age, its just whether the person has always been passionate about music or not. I know a lot of middle-aged peopl who are very interested in music, and others who don't really care what they are listening to because it is just background.

yes, i've known some middle aged people who likes the same bands as i do. But they were all form the past decades... so i'm not sure if middle aged people are as openminded to new music as the younger age goup.
Plus, even if they only listen to Beethoven and old operas, it doens't mean they are less passionate about music.

I- randomly- have come to dislike Panic! at the Disco. Not because they are a bad band (I still think that, with the right influence and experience, they could be a force in music). But at the moment, the MTV Rock is just not cutting it musicially. I don't feel the same thing when listen to the emo pop band, or really any of the bands out now, that I do when I listen to old school rock and roll.

The only bands that bring me anywhere near that feeling are Interpol and the Arctic Monkeys, and neither of those bands have the "image" to be real rockstars.

The Strokes are good, very good, but am I alone in thinking that they are a wee bit overrated. :innocent:

^ oh no, i totally agree that The Strokes are overrated. Still, they are one of the current bands that don't annoy me and sometimes impress me so i like them. :smile:

rollagasper said:
^ oh no, i totally agree that The Strokes are overrated. Still, they are one of the current bands that don't annoy me and sometimes impress me so i like them. :smile:

That is how I feel about them to.

I love the Strokes and I think they are a fantastic band, but of course they are overrated considering how much the NME hyped them (the same way they did with Arctic Monkeys). No band could live up to the label of "the saviours of rock and roll".

Twill Bill said:
I love the Strokes and I think they are a fantastic band, but of course they are overrated considering how much the NME hyped them (the same way they did with Arctic Monkeys). No band could live up to the label of "the saviours of rock and roll".

I have never read NME Magazine, but I read some things on the internet, and they really seem to be talking nonsence. They make every band out to be the best ever, real music gods, blablabla. It is to bad for the bands themselves, they can never live up to this expectations.

Twill Bill said:
I find the NME really fickle. They are really quick to hype a band or jump on the bandwagon of a very popular band, but they are also equally swift in denouncing bands which they once had acclaimed.
And sometimes, they would praise a band in an article and then completely slaughter their album in the reviews, all in one issue.

Yeah, the NME isn't really a respectable publication - the only good thing about it is the pictures, sometimes. Btw, I like your username rollagasper :smile:

Twill Bill said:
Yeah, the NME isn't really a respectable publication - the only good thing about it is the pictures, sometimes. Btw, I like your username rollagasper :smile:

Are any of the music magazines respectable? Aren't tey just writing and hyping the same crap?

Have you noticed that majority of music magazines seem to be a lot about doing "the________________ songs/bands/albums of all time"-lists, not about writing about a new interesting phenomenom in music or interviewing artists?

Pete Doherty, if he don't ,well, die * * * * ...
he's great... got that all rock karma and supermodel girlfriend/wife

edit: please see tFS guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:
m.j. said:
Pete Doherty, if he don't ,well, die * * * * he's great... got that all rock karma and supermodel girlfriend/wife

Yes, he's got the image, but has he got the actual talent?

edit: quote

Last edited by a moderator:
i think he is very talented...
he plays great, has interesting lyrics and voice...
he is not lennon, but he can make it big time...
he is interesting to watch and listen, plus i think he sleeps with his guitar...
and miss moss...
yes,i found him very talented...

WhiteLinen said:
Yes, he's got the image, but has he got the actual talent?

It's funny because while I love his music (his earlier stuff mainly) and his voice I hate his image with a passion (The whole martyr thing gets tedious really fast.) and I don't really like him.:ninja:

Pop music is at the forefront now and the public is extremely cynical so... the ground is not really fertile for 'traditional' rockstars to appear.

I'm not sure the lack of rockstars bothers me though. It's the lack of talent which is bothering. I wouldn't care if we had good rock bands that didn't make it big because the general public didn't like them as long as they would be good.

m.j. said:
i think he is very talented...
he plays great, has interesting lyrics and voice...
he is not lennon, but he can make it big time...
he is interesting to watch and listen, plus i think he sleeps with his guitar...
and miss moss...
yes,i found him very talented...

Most of what you say concern his image of a romantic artist as a rebel/martyr crushed by the establishment ect ... However I do like his voice and lyrics .
I don't think he'll ever make it big though and if that happened it will contradict his image .

Jadee said:
It's funny because while I love his music (his earlier stuff mainly) and his voice I hate his image with a passion (The whole martyr thing gets tedious really fast.) and I don't really like him.:ninja:

Pop music is at the forefront now and the public is extremely cynical so... the ground is not really fertile for 'traditional' rockstars to appear.

I'm not sure the lack of rockstars bothers me though. It's the lack of talent which is bothering. I wouldn't care if we had good rock bands that didn't make it big because the general public didn't like them as long as they would be good.

Agreed.

Jadee said:

I agree, I don't care if a band is hudge or that nobody has ever heard of them, if I like the music.
I don't like that idea of 'I liked the music, but not anymore, they have gotten to big' Who cares how 'big' they are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->