The young apprentice: Japan's secret weapon (iht)

There seems to be someconfusion here - I am refering to an entire system of going about the fashion industry in Japan compared to other parts of the world, the way Menkes is also calling it Japan's "secret weapon"...ugh........I hate stupid cliches, especially as titles... and please...it's a "secret weapon" only if it actually has the power to pose some threat to the current industry leaders. Watch out Louis Vuitton! Here comes Limi Feu!

I don't think that Tao (32...) is definitely going to inherit CdG, she's just a protege who is given permission to launch a small collection of her own after 8 years! And that is supposedly a special talent spotted by ReiK. Look at the fortunate young ones in Europe, in contrast.

Whatever you think of the strategy of Chloe, Rochas, Balenciaga, the crucial question is, does it work? Whichever brands they have worked for, Hedi Slimane, Raf Simmons, Phoebe Philo, Theyskens, have firmly established *their own names*, the label loses credibility when they leave, eg. YSL Homme since Slimane left. They are super young, talented, ambitious and super valued. The system in Europe favours them.

Of course many of the Japanese guys are alive, and except for Miyake, still designing their own labels. I am not suggesting that they quit and let someone take over, read the posts. However, the Japanese apprentice system would have meant, if hypothetiocally transfered to Europe, that someone like Hedi Slimane has to slave in Karl Lagerfeld's atelier for a decade before the Kaiser permits him to launch a tiny handkerchief collection of his own as he reaches middle age.

And look at Miyake's new designer, is he making waves and doing for this big brand what Ghesquiere is doing for Balenciaga? Is he even known? I read somewhere that Yohji Yamamoto wants his daughter to take over, it doesn't matter that she is not especially talented or even interested. This is surely the way to kill this brand, when you handpick a successor vs. making the decision based on what would make a success, but of course it's his private business ultimately. Chloe, Lanvin, etc. all made very realistic decisions based on business, the designs must sell, and they manage it with great success, artistically and commericially without obliging anyone to do a 10 year apprenticeship.

I think only the Italians come close with this family business thing, but then the Italians enjoy particular advantages, not the least of which is a traditional clustering of industry strengths that the family networking strengthens. Still, Missoni, Etro can do better.

You also take different parts of my post and juxtaposed them with other parts that bear no relations. When I referred to Belgium's success in the fashion field, I'm refering to their fashion system's success and impact relative to their country's size, wealth and economic clout, compared to Japan's fashion industry's success relative to Japan's overall global standing. I wasn't saying Belgium hires designers of other nationalities! That part was referred to in the earlier section about the openness of Europe overall, that it takes in non-Europeans, eg. Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Elbaz (Israeli?), etc. Even CdG, YY, IM all got their breaks in Paris.

Surely no one believes that Japan doesn't have talented young designers. Menkes thinks that the apprentice system is their "pearl in the crown", but well, where is this crown to crow about? And when I read about the severe, conservative system of the apprenticeship, and about Japan's lack of fashion industry success in the global market compared to its power, it looks as if it is more of a liability than a benefit, and explains why so few young Japanese designers have taken on the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you must take into account that the Japanese firms rarelly use advertising. No supermodels as face, no muse interview, celeb hypes, no acc. craze... not only outside Japan. So that in consequence, ppl behinds them are not known to wider public.

It is a diff. bussiness model I suppose. I dont think they operate as a luxury labels. And they don't have that "traditional european tradition" glamour (what ever it is:-P) that helps selling everything.

But it is true that Europe and America are supporting young designers. Not like japanese fashion industry. That's what RK pointed out in the art., too.

In the orther hand, try to imagine Chanel starting, let's follow the gossip, Phoebe's own label. Or Hedi under the Dior Homme wing. See the point?:-)

I also think starting with a small coll is a good strategy. Look at how Junya Man was started. And how big is his line now.

I think the other "context' might be that Japan is a huge market. One can operate in Japan, keeping a relative small bussiness model and still have financial success. So they might not want to enter the global market and start the tougher competition. Again, it is a specific, very protective Japanese economy.

i didnt had time to read this in IHT during the week, so i took my time and had a go here at this thread..
i fully agree with zazie, it's not as if cdg & issey discovered the wheel by supporting their own assistants, and i dont know why in our discussions we always compare highly non-comparable issues, like european, american and japanese fashion management and culture.

personally i find Tao weak, we were talking with Johnny and Helena in Paris on how the 'celebrated' Tao ss06 collection is basically an improved version of an 'unknown' French designer who used to work only with handkerchiefs left as stock from closed factories.. and that was like two or three years ago when she showed her work during the pret-a-porter week in Paris.

i can't help but notice a 'blind' adoration of anything Japanese that goes beyond real evaluation of their work.. why is it a 'secret weapon' to promote one's assistands and make money out of them while rejuvenating the interest in your own lukewarm company? this is not new right? take a look at Chloe, at ysl, at Gucci.. its all over the place really.

and what about 'supportive' Rei's comments on Japan Fashion Week.. even though i somehow agree with her points i can't see her quotes as coming from an 'open minded, supportive' industrialist, japanese fashion needs more than just the trinity of the cdg/miyake/yohji recycling 'universe', take the dinosaurs down, bring something really new.
to be honest i believe both Junya and Tao would be better off if they could lead their lines in an independent way.. as it is they need to stick with the cdg esthetics even if they'd like to move on to something else..

cdg, is the lvmh/gucci/prada group of the Japanese fashion industry, there is nothing remotely 'romantic' about their strategies, its just business and keeping the talent (and the $$$) in the (huge) house..

I'm not that sure, Lena, CdG and IM are the 200 mln usd companies. They are not that big financially. A biggest, if not main part of CdG income is made in Japan. So taking JW and TAO to show in Paris is indeed a big support. In addition, they don't have to worry about producing, distributing, finacing their lines... issues. It does sound "protective". But they can do what ever they want - the diff. between JW and CdG collections lately shows it.

Anyway these are JW's,Tao's or Limi's decisions to go under the big house, or to break and make their own bussiness. Maybe Runner will tell us from a Japanese's point of view. I think that in the end, it's the quality of the design, the creativeness that really matters. And JW is doing superbly, isn't he?

my dear ngth, cgd is totally huge and they are huge just because they show in europe.. their out of Japan stores are just there to fuel their 'prestige' at the local market.
and what about Rei's position regarding the local non-under-her-umbrella Japanese designers? For a designer who's keeping "japan's secret fashion weapon" she doesnt seem so supportive to talent outside her very own design "family".

Yes this is what I have said. Comme operates mainly in Japan. And they aslo said that showing in Paris helps, so RK has taken Tao and JW to Paris, too. In the other hand, what is the point about showing collections when no buyers are there?

But they are not in the LVHM, Prada, Gucci level, financially. 200 mln is more less the sell of Stella? I am not sure.

BTW, the Guerrilla project is Paris based and operated.

200mln?
stella just did 500.000 pounds one/two years ago.. :D

what the point of having a line if they dont show it in Paris?
thats why Tao & Junya are there.. its for the designers to sell and bring money in the cdg group, it certainly is no romantic 'charity' trust me, cdg owns those companies, they dont just 'support' them.

my last word on this..
if rei wanted to really help the promotion of japanese fashion experssion she should show her three lines (cdg, junya, tao) in Tokyo and bring the european/us buyers there, this would really help japanese fashion scene.. this is what lvmh, prada & gucci are doing, their promote all their labels locally they dont travel half the world to show their work..

But Chanel and Armani are going to Shanghai to show:-) I think one should show where the buyers are going. It can't be the other way round.

Yes, JW and TAO are showing in Paris to get attention and sell. What could be wrong with it? Fashion is also a bussiness. If the point is what JW or TAO "get personally" from this, I guess we might never know:-) TAO is getting a lot of possitive responds, and I think she has a good start. (And she deserves it:-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am061890
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->