Tights Under Shorts

I do this sometimes. I didn't think of it as a trend either but more of just a way to wear clothes. I like using tights especially for like really short cut-offs if I'm going to school or something. I don't think my shorts are too short but I don't want my teachers and people to think I'm trying to be hoochie so I feel like tights tone down the amount of leg that is showing. Tights-under-shorts is also a natural sartorial side effect of going to and from dance classes in the summertime.:P I've been rocking that look for over a decade. It's funny though when I was younger in ballet and would have the ballet pink tights showing, I bet people thought they were some kind of medical vein-compression stockings or something.:lol:

I agree with an earlier post. Black tights under jean shorts has been so overdone. However I wore my trusty black 120 deniers under black leather short-shorts and, in my opinion, it made it look a little more refined than just wearing the shorts on their own.

But got to say I really don't get tights underneath the longer shorts, such as the 3.1 PL look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it all the time here, and I hate it.Maybe because I know it would never look good on me.

I don't like the jeans version. This look is much better when the tights are paired with trouser shorts.

In winter I like wearing (denim) hot pants with black opaque tights. Not many people here do it, so I never really got tired of that look. And I also like when the hipster kids wear crazy patterned tights with shorts, like leopard tights and floral print leggings and such paired with ripped hot pants. But I'd never wear that look myself.

I love shorts over tights ( NOT OVER LEGGINGS!!!) I wear everykind of shorts like that, I think it is almost my uniform :lol:

yeah, leggings really are a no go. it has to be tights all the way.

i am fine with that , if thights are in skin colour or black .

just , i haven't seen no one good look with green thights and blue shorts for example .
at least in life ...

yeah would represent my view on that topic too...

I've been thinking... tights under shorts are perfectly fine. As long as they aren't the overdone leggings (which nobody says a damn thing about at times), it's fine. Full tights covering the feet, legs, and lower body are perfectly fine. Just as long as they aren't the footless tights (I get confused with so many terms in fashion), I'm okay.

So you got shorts and tights. All you need now is a good pair of shoes to finish the look! I'm kind of turning around on this look now that I think about it. Almost as much a turnaround as how I grown to accept open-toe boots or jeans tucked into boots.

I actually really adore this trend, but it's one that's SUPER HARD to pull off. I think the only ones who truly look good with this look are girls who have long and lean legs.

aka not me and my short stubby stumps, lol!

I think if you want to do denim shorts with tights, you have to be sure that your shorts aren't those turn-up ones with the tabs at the side to keep them in place. I see a lot of girls in Scotland wearing those with tights or leggings and I think they look really out of place and cheap. However, a pair of vintage-looking cut-offs (like Lily's in one of the previous posts) can look cool. I like them with fishnets, too.

Personally, however, I much prefer to wear tights with my tailored black shorts as opposed to denim ones. It looks so much more polished to me.

I actually really adore this trend, but it's one that's SUPER HARD to pull off. I think the only ones who truly look good with this look are girls who have long and lean legs.

aka not me and my short stubby stumps, lol!

i'm short with short legs too, ahh being 5 foot tall. I wish i was 5ft 7!

does anybody know where to buy lace tights in the US? nothing too tacky, however i really do like them in this image. i'm more fond of the non-denim shorts usually though.

654888_olivialb3.jpg

I'm just not really into seeing denim shorts all the time (especially any roll-up/cuffed jean short shorts). The only exception is if they were more trouser-like, classy denim shorts. You can't make an average pair of denim shorts stylish with tights no matter how hard you try. I'm just not really into that specific look. And so I grant harleygrant respect for Post #52.

I think one acceptable aesthetic is to mix denim cut offs and BLACK tights.... IF you're thin it will look amazing and you can wear your fav pair of shorts in the autumn as well :smile:
but it goes for silk shorts too....or tailored.. as long as they are short... and show your legs ....
PS: John M. you can make anything look stylish with the right colors and combination.. redardless of the item
Magdalena is the perfect example :smile:

source: fashiontoast, sartorialist, myoperamystyle

Last edited by a moderator:
The look is great! I actually see it here in Southern California. Teens and young women are sproting it. I think it is great but better for fall. Then you could wear pattern tights or stirrup tights.

I think its cute when worn right!
ive never done it but wont say i never will.

I love the pics that Elle M posted, especially the first one!
Denim cut offs with black opaques are cool if you have thin legs, in my opinion, and preferably long legs too. I don't have long legs, but I do have (reasonably) thin legs, so I can pull off that look quite well.
And, as others have said, the shorts ought to be short! As you're wearing tights, then you won't need to worry about people telling you that your shorts are too short and that you're flashing too much flesh.
When in Rome in March last year with some friends, I was wearing denim shorts that sat just above my knee (they were hideous, but I was running out of clean clothes as the holiday was coming to an end). It typical weather for Rome in March; sunny but not really hot, and ocassionally windy. However, it started raining and my bare legs became really cold. My friend had a spare pair of black opaques in her bag and I went to put them on. I wore them under the shorts (obviously) and they looked awful! I didn't realise it at the time. I was wearing black Converse lo-tops, because we visiting all of the typical tourist-y attractions and were walking a lot, and it just looked so bad! I looked back at the photographs of that day and thought, "OH MY GOD, WHAT WAS I WEARING?!"
Oh the shame. So, I have learnt that one should only wear shorts and tights when one's shorts are short! And I mean short!

thanks, blackkohl ! :smile: I completely get your point too, and as for short legs, I think you can easily fix that with a pair of heels or platforms :smile:
Sorry to hear about your small fashion mishap in Rome ... I know very well that dressing while having to walk for miles on end in a foreign country can be a problem.. you need something both nice and comfy ...
ecman2wst.. WOW! I never knew men wear that ... except for old Robin Hood movies ..they look interesting though :smile:

I've been wearing tights with shorts for awhile now during the fall and winter. Oddly no one around here wears them so I wasn't aware it was even a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->