Tim & Bob

Kenysha75

Reaction score
Tim & Bob (Tim Kelley and Bob Robinson) aka Funktwons, are Grammy Award-winning songwriting musicians and a Hip-hop/R&B pop production duo.
800px-Inthelab2.JPG

Biography

Growing up in Peoria, Illinois, Tim was raised on R&B through his father's band. His father was a multi instrumentalist so he quickly learned trumpet (his fathers main instrument) piano, guitar, drums and bass at the early age of 10. From elementary through college, Tim played the trumpet and piano in school band while learning how to read music. He was heavily influenced by pop radio as well, while Bob's deep roots in the church as an organist and piano player since the age of 9 through college brought a wealth of gospel music to the duo. They met through a mutual friend at the local mall right next to a music store. Tim recalls; " We stepped in the music store and bob started playing the piano, I was blown away on his skills to the point that i didn't even try and play, that's how awesome he was and I considered myself pretty good. Tim offered bob to come by his basement studio where his mom bought enough equipment to record music. From there the duo exchanged chord progressions on keyboards and guitar. Bob explains; "Tim had so many albums from artist I never heard of, I had a gospel collection myself so we figured out a way to fuse the two together in a way no one was doing at the time, in one months time we came up with a hundred or so tracks and was ready to take on the world. . They initially got their start at a famous recording studio in Detroit called Sound Suite , and from there moved to Atlanta, where they met super producer Dallas Austin. Blown away by they're talent, Dallas quickly signed them and stamped them as "Tim and Bob. Upon signing with Austin's publishing company the duo began working with artists TLC, 112 (whom they discovered) and Monica Their signature sound and production style initially helped the duo establish themselves in the music industry. During this time the two would also garner two Grammy Awards, including one in 1995 for Best R&B Album for Boyz II Men's II and one in 1996 for Best R&B Album for TLC's Diamond certified CrazySexyCool. Upon winning consecutive Best R&B Album Grammy's, Tim & Bob would continue to produce, simultaneously working on soundtracks, including Def Jam's How to Be a Player, The Players Club, Poetic Justice, Wild Wild West, and Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.

They were subsequently brought in by legendary producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to work on some of their projects. Since the early 90's, Tim & Bob has been dubbed the next Jam and Lewis and credits the legendary hitmakers for recognizing their potential and helping them define their production style,
“ We watched and studied their career so much, we thought producers had to be self contained and do everything from writing the joints to playing every instrument. We have been fortunate to work with some of the best. One of the lessons we learned from Dallas, L.A. Reid, and Jimmy and Terry is that those producers always defined what a radio hit is and what constitutes an album track, and they encouraged us to always experiment, but create our signature sound. ”

Upon becoming a household name in the music industry, the team knew it was time to move out on their own. Soon after departing Dallas Austin; they relocated to Los Angeles and signed a publishing deal and a label deal thru executive and famous guitarist Robbie Robertson with the now defunct DreamWorks Records, instantly scoring hits with Jon B. (“They Don't Know"), and Tamia (“So Into U"). Tim & Bob would also become instrumental for getting the rock group Papa Roach signed to DreamWorks.

In 2000 Tim & Bob would earn more success producing Sisqó's worldwide hit “Thong Song” off the R&B singer's 5x Platinum Unleash the Dragon. The song received a multitude of awards including Song Of The Year hip hop/rythmic at the 2000 Radio Music Awards. It would peak #1 on the New Zealand charts, No. 2 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks and No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 respectively. They would also produce the only #1 billlboard r&b single Case’s “Missing You,” off the gold album "Open Letter" and Dave Hollister's "Take Care of Home.”

2003 was a special year for the duo. While working with Ronald Isley and the Isley Brothers, Ron told the duo that he spoke with one of Earth, Wind And Fire front men Philip Bailey and was told to tell the guys they're big fans of they're work and would love to work with them. Instantly Tim & Bob responded to the honor and grabbed a studio room right next to the Isley Brothers session and worked on both simultaneously. Subsequently the results were dubbing two grammy nods for both, Best R&B Album Isley Brothers Body Kiss and Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance for the song Tim & Bob wrote and produced entitled "Hold Me from the lp The Promise. It was Earth, Wind And Fire first grammy nomination in 10 years which made it that more special for the guys. Tim stated:
“ That was one of the highlights of our career..we've always had a friendship turn family working relationship with uncle Ron so he knows how we get down, he comes in and say I wanna sing about this today and we write the lyrics and do the track right there, but for two legendary iconic bands to trust in you to write, arrange and produce the entire songs and the outcome are two grammy nods are mind blowing to us, we were probably conceived by one of they're songs so to say God worked his magic is truly fitting, a dream come true for us." ”

Tim & Bob would strike again in early 2005 producing Bobby Valentino’s Asian R&B influenced, "Slow Down" (No. 1 for four consecutive weeks on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs) and "Tell Me" from Valentino’s Platinum certified debut album, Disturbing tha Peace Presents Bobby Valentino. In 2006, Tim & Bob signed a new publishing deal with Dimensional Music Publishing and began working on Bobby Valentino's sophomore album Special Occasion, from which they produced six tracks. Their most recent projects include Jennifer Lopez’ Platinum certified album Rebirth ("Cherry Pie” and "I, Love"); Brian McKnight’s Ten ("Used to Be My Girl", "Unhappy Without You", "Again", "Can't Leave You Alone"); Donell Jones’ Journey of a Gemini ("I'm Gonna Be", "Feelin' You", "Can't Wait", "I'm Gonna Be"); Hilary Duff's Dignity ("I Wish"); Nas, Joe, Musiq Soulchild, Ron Isley, Brandy, Tyrese, Amerie, Mýa, Usher, LaToya, Slim of 112, Busta Rhymes, Jamie Foxx ("Life is Good"); Black Eyed Peas, Bobby Valentino's The Rebirth ("Make You the Only One," “3 Is the New 2,” “On The Edge,” “You're Not Alone,” “Give Me Your Heart,” and “Your Smile"); Day 26's Forever in a Day ("Think of Me", "Perfectly Blind" and "Reminds Me of You"); and their artists Mahagani and Chico. The duo is also currently working on a TV reality series called Producers Diary, which showcases a producer's life, starting with themselves for the first 10 episodes.

Tim & Bob have sold more than 200 million albums and are among the most consistent urban producers in the last 16 years, earning a spot on Billboard's top ten list of producers almost every year since 1998. In additon to their two Grammy Award wins, multiple other awards and number 1 hits, Tim & Bob continue to produce hits for the music industry’s most accomplished artists. When asked why they think they have been so successful, Bob stated,
“ It’s a few things; we have had exceptional mentors who believed in us, we are very passionate about music and our artists – and unlike most producers; we tailor make joints for artists from scratch. We have been blessed; and although we are proud of the work we have done, we haven’t even begun to do our best work yet, we have only just scratched the surface.
wikipedia.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtesttestx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->