tbd4bi4.png

tbd5hx5.png

tbd6pe8.png

tbdvj6.png

source: tombinnsdesign

More later...

versatile is a great word...
he definitely is no one trick pony...
over the years he has done so many things...

i confess that while he was in this most recent skull period i was less than enchanted...
i guess he goes in and out of that skull thing...
but the most recent one was particularly commercial and i found it less than interesting...
:ninja:

i particularly love what he does with rhinestones and how he often mixes them with other materials...

:heart:

thanks for all the additional images guys!...
:flower:

*side note...
i can't believe that intermix is selling tom binns...:shock:...
:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Softgrey, I agree...
I had intentionally refrained from posting the scull pieces...
which happened to be the only accesible images on the web..
naturally..
I just found them so grotesque & trite..
Ugly, even...

V52
CROWN & BRACELET
Photographer: Mario Testino
Stylist: Beat Bolliger
Model: Catherine McNeil

2536580950_3384620f3a_o.jpg

source | vmagazine

I had no idea he was hard to find, since to me he seems to be carried at a couple of places online like Kabiri and NAP and maybe even neiman's/saks? Anyway, i LOVE kabiri. It opened up in Marylebone about the time I was living there and they carry such a great and unique range of designers. Love Tom's work, but he seems to get a decent amount of press to me but maybe he's been going a lot longer than I've known of him and the press is more recent....

^ His career spans 20 years..
Older than me... :ninja::blush:
That is a good question, though...
Is his exposure in publications such as US Vogue
very recent or was it always so...?
Besides that, as Scott said, his pieces are quite singular...
Some may find them to be a bit much..
&/or diff to pull off...
But I think so many of his things would be stunning IRL...
Great conversation starters, too... :heart:

His earlier work is so gorgeous... so modern-looking...
Hard to believe it's from the 80s...
Esp. love the Bauhaus & Gustav Klimt inspired pieces... :crush:

Thanks for the contributions everyone... :clap:

His exposure is recent, he didnt do any interviews.etc for a long time but has been doing surprising alot as of lately.

Just ran across this. His peices look so pretty, even if they are on dogs :P
Pic from ebay

Attachments

• 3627_1.jpg
    3627_1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 7
ah thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know he'd been going nearly that long. then yes, it's surprising that his work is only being used now....

ah thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know he'd been going nearly that long. then yes, it's surprising that his work is only being used now....

Actually his work has been featured in editorials for years...he's just kept a low profile as an artist. He didn't even have a website until a couple of years ago. There was also an article/interview with him in a recent W Magazine.

:flower:

Ah Tom Binns.His stuff is so wonderful looking.It'd be the kinds of things you'd expect to find inside a pirates treasure chest.

Currently coveting the Masai necklace with jet and florescent yellow crystals, bidding on a Faux Real cuff on eBay, and planning to purchase a bangle and earrings from NAP. :smile:

A talented jewelry designer, but not at all the originator he claims to be. Chanel was tangling pearls and combining them with paste and rhinestones since the 1930's. The bikers were wearing layered chains and skulls in the 1940's and 1950's which influenced the punks in the 1970's. The punks tangled chains and safety pins which started Binns on his merry way soon after. I guess he's the first designer with the audacity to so heavily borrow from other people's invention.

^He definitely takes those inspirations, though, and combines them in a completely unexpected and original way, which is why I adore his work. There really is nothing else out there like it, though I must say some of his necklaces remind me of Justin Giunta's work for Subversive.

FIT FOR A PRINCESS
Images Featuring Tom Binns
UK Vogue December 2001
Hair: Eugene Souleiman
Makup: Lisa Butler
Stylist: Lucinda Chambers
Photographer: Paolo Roversi

Embellished Leather Belt by Tom Binns for Marni

Embellished Leather Cuffs by Tom Binns for Marni

source | scanned by MMA

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics