Tom Ford To Get Award

Atelier

Hoppity Hop
Reaction score
From today's WWD:

Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Tom Ford to Get SCAD Honor
By Rosemary Feitelberg

NEW YORK — Far from the European runways where he made his mark, Tom Ford will be honored in Georgia’s first city at the Savannah College of Art and Design’s annual fashion show.

Uncharacteristically following in the footsteps of Oscar de la Renta, Karl Lagerfeld and Miuccia Prada, Ford will receive the André Leon Talley Lifetime Achievement Award. He is to pick up the prize on May 20 from its namesake Talley, Vogue’s editor at large and a member of the college’s board of trustees, and school president Paula Wallace.

Tucked away in historic Savannah, the college is building a following with some of the more established designers. Last year the school gave Diane von Furstenberg an honorary degree and presented Zac Posen with the André Leon Talley New Look Award.

Ford’s own college career started with art history classes at New York University. He shifted gears to focus on architecture at Parsons School of Design in New York, and while enrolled there studied in Paris.

Since his exit from the Gucci Group last year, Ford has kept a fairly low profile. The college plans to let his fans log on to a live Webcast of the annual fashion show.

Does anyone know anything about the school at all? I know Talley talks about it in his memoirs a bit, he's doing wonderful things for the students down there, Prada's been there, everyone's been there. What's the deal with Savannah?

If Zac Posen got an award last year, then I am questionning the true value of this award.... :blink:

It's actually a pretty poor school. Well, it's not AWFUL but you can look at the student work and see. It's not one of the better schools in the country.

Kimkhuu said:
If Zac Posen got an award last year, then I am questionning the true value of this award.... :blink:
This is true, I mean how do you put Prada, Lagerfeld and Ford at the same level with him???

it sounds like ALT picks his faves to get the award... :innocent:

There's an article about SCAD in the April W. To clarify the awards, there are actually two. There's the ALT Lifetime Achievement Award and the ALT New Look Award. The first has gone to ALT himself--sort of, de la Renta, Lagerfeld, Prada and now Ford. The New Look Award has only gone to Zac Posen so far.

I think it speaks volumes that this school has cultivated and maintained this relationship with ALT. The impact of having noted designers come and speak with the students and faculty is great.

Atelier said:
There's an article about SCAD in the April W. To clarify the awards, there are actually two. There's the ALT Lifetime Achievement Award and the ALT New Look Award. The first has gone to ALT himself--sort of, de la Renta, Lagerfeld, Prada and now Ford. The New Look Award has only gone to Zac Posen so far.

I think it speaks volumes that this school has cultivated and maintained this relationship with ALT. The impact of having noted designers come and speak with the students and faculty is great.

That is a pretty cool thing they have.

Kimkhuu said:
:lol: Very true. Good point.

Again...Im forced to defend my school...all art schools have poor work coming out of it...SCAD is a newer school, they have done well for themselves and if u the student put in the time and effort to make the most of your eduaction then u will succeed. There are amazing artist anddesigners coming out of scad, we have some of the best facilities and professors...if it wasnt for scad i would never be were i am today...FIT and Parsons could have never put me where I am. Scad gets better and better each year, so I would really think twice before calling a school and there students poor. BTW...most people are lucky if they can even afford to go to school there. It is one of the top art school in the country. Go to nyc...ull see how many people from scad are there...were taking over this town!:P

Mutterlein said:
It's actually a pretty poor school. Well, it's not AWFUL but you can look at the student work and see. It's not one of the better schools in the country.

basically they let every body in if they can pay, that's why they are so big and rich, I think it's really a buissnes not a school. I know crazy gossip about them to, which i'm not sure if it's true so i wont say it, but it's pretty insane.

lepotica said:
I would really think twice before calling a school and there students poor. BTW...most people are lucky if they can even afford to go to school there.

no, they sure aren't "poor"... but just because it's expensive doesn't make it good... I wonder what kind of "compensation" comes with these awards...?

I heard that Lagerfield didn't bother to show up for his...

I meant poor as in quality and standard of education not in price or financial resources.

I think for some areas it is decent but it's fashion program is very lackluster. There are state schools in Texas and Ohio that have better programs.

I know a girl who goes there for product design and another in printmaking and neither of them have any business being at an art school.

Well this is coming from someone who went there...I think i had a great education. The fashion dept. needs work, but its getting better. It is a true art school and a great one. Its not perfect, there is alot of "corruption" or whatever u want to call with the pres. and people who handle the money. But dont think u can go to scad and make it. They do take lots of people ever year...but art school is not for everyone. Its hard work, time consuming, and tough...I work very hard for 4 years. So many people I know left because the couldnt handle the preasure or work load. The people that did make it, and graduated are now working in some awesome jobs all over the us. I dont mean to be so sensitive, its just that I take offense to people saying the school I went to is poor ect. ect. ect.

and living in Savannah, GA was an experience. I didnt want to go to scad because of its location, but Im so glad I did go. its was such a great place to go to college...and a great town to visit...def. check it out if u ever get the chance.

i dunno, im too tired to say anymore......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->