Too Poor for High Fashion?

Reaction score
This is probably going to sound awful, and I didn't even know where to post it because I felt so dumb thinking this.

I feel like I don't deserve to be interested in high fashion, or that if I tried making friends who were into high fashion, they'd look down on me on account of the fact that I am just not very high fashion at all myself.. I live in men's t shirts, baggy jeans and sneakers, haha.

I buy everything from charity and have 0 designer clothing, but oh my goodness I feel like I am in another world when I watch shows, when I read about fashion, etc.. I guess I feel kind of lonely, as I don't have many irl I can chat to about what I love.

Well, there are plenty of people who like to eat but don't like to cook, so why not? :flower: You're as entitled as anyone else to be interested in exactly what you like.

This is probably going to sound awful, and I didn't even know where to post it because I felt so dumb thinking this.

I feel like I don't deserve to be interested in high fashion, or that if I tried making friends who were into high fashion, they'd look down on me on account of the fact that I am just not very high fashion at all myself.. I live in men's t shirts, baggy jeans and sneakers, haha.

I buy everything from charity and have 0 designer clothing, but oh my goodness I feel like I am in another world when I watch shows, when I read about fashion, etc.. I guess I feel kind of lonely, as I don't have many irl I can chat to about what I love.
It does not matter what fashion snobs would think of you. Your interests are your own and the opinions of others do not matter. And of course you deserve to be interested. One does not earn the right to like something.

This certain concept of "high fashion" probably mostly only exists in our head anyway. I never made a lot of money but I bought a lot of designer stuff in outlets and sales for a while. But since my style is very casual (all-black, jeans and sneakers, non-fussy tops kind of stuff) I don't think it was obvious to anyone around me that those were designer pieces I was wearing. And you should have seen the shock on my University classmates' face when I told them I write for fashion websites, "What? You are into fashion?!" :lol:

Fashion has so many aspects to it, and the peacocking and looking neat and super-styled and wearing designer-only all the time is just one of them. But finding clothes that look good on you and fit you well, are comfortable and are quintessentially you is just as much fashion to me. And that certainly doesn't depend on the designer or price tag attached to your favorite items. I'm also very sure that a lot of people on tFS who obsess about models, collections, magazines, etc. are not out of school/university yet and don't make enough money to buy designer clothes (yet) either, so you're in good company here! :Pink:

You are in good company violet echoes: some of the most fashionable designers in the world dress the most boring :smile:

I'd rather see someone dressed plainly then flashing as many designer logos as they can. I will always find the former more fashionable.

I usually hate these made-for-the-internet list/slideshow/thingamabobs BUT, I found this one really great.

The 7 Habits of Highly Stylish People
http://www.stylecaster.com/the-7-habits-of-highly-stylish-people/

:heart:

Well I am a student so I really cannot afford designer clothes. But I like to be fashionable, you can find beautiful pieces at a great price (something made by a designer doesn't necessarily means it is good looking). I love clothes for themselves, I cannot stand people who show off and think they are cool just because they have a big logo or the name of the brand on their garnment.

I feel similarly to how you feel. My style is kind of boring and nothing special (plus I can't afford many designer labels), so you are definitely not alone.

Just because your personal style isn't "high fashion" does not mean you cannot still appreciate the design and craftmanship put into designer clothes. Besides, there are a lot of designers that I really appreciate for their artistry that I would never wear in real life because the clothes are too outlandish and impractical for everyday use.

So really, don't fret about it. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are in good company violet echoes: some of the most fashionable designers in the world dress the most boring :smile:

I'd rather see someone dressed plainly then flashing as many designer logos as they can. I will always find the former more fashionable.

I usually hate these made-for-the-internet list/slideshow/thingamabobs BUT, I found this one really great.

The 7 Habits of Highly Stylish People
http://www.stylecaster.com/the-7-habits-of-highly-stylish-people/

:heart:

That's a pretty good list :flower:

I'd just been thinking after looking at this thread & before reading the article, you don't need $$$ to express your personal style. You can go digging through your relatives' attics, Goodwill, charity shops, etc. It may be a bit more work, but you can absolutely look unique and express your personal style without spending big bucks or wearing a single designer label (though they are to be had at Goodwill if you want them--when they haven't been cut out :P).

You don't have to be an artist to appreciate art. I think it's the same with fashion, you can enjoy beautiful things no matter what income, wardrobe or lifestyle you have.

Just think of Lee McQueen :heart:
Clothing-wise indistinguishable from any other bloke on the street, but inside that brain of his...:heart::heart::heart: :wub:

Really, artists can use anything as their canvas. Doesn't have to be your own body.

Take up drawing, painting, making collages, sewing, jewelry making, get creative! Not being able to afford what you want to buy is frustrating in itself, but as others have said, has nothing to do with your innate creativity or stylishness.

And as for talking fashion, that's what tFS is for! :smile:

I feel the same way. I have loved fashion since I was a little kid but mostly on other people, and I can relate to your feelings of being sort of "out of place".
But, like others have said, like fashion for your own sake, and disregard what others think. I have to admit that it's incredibly hard at times, and I wish you luck! :smile::flower:

People who don't collect fine art can still appreciate it. Nothing worse than being an excluding snob. Some of the most creative and successful people in fashion wear jeans every day.

^Perhaps an example of this is Bill Cunningham, I mean the man wears the same few pieces all the time, with his signature blue jacket, yet he's known around the world for capturing great sartorial moments. A lot of fashion designers aren't like Karl Lagerfeld or Marc Jacobs (which is fine too), very flashy and have a particular standout style, so when you see them on the runway after a show it can be a bit shocking that someone dressed so plainly can have produced such a fine show. My personal theory is that they save all of their creativity for their designs and projects and don't really put any of these designs into their own style. Therefore, they way they dress doesn't always reflect their talent.

Honestly, I find it more important to be put together and comfortable then to be dressed to the nines. As long as I feel comfortable and beautiful, that's all that matters. Of course I'd love to wear brands like Alexander McQueen (I mean, who wouldn't?) but that just isn't going to happen on my student budget. And that's okay. I find that the world needs appreciators of arts/fashion/etc just as much as it needs those artists, those fashion designers, those who buy/wear designer clothing. There has to be a balance between the two. And besides just because someone has the money to purchase expensive luxury items doesn't necessarily mean that they really understand the craftsmanship/history/etc that went into the piece. Just like the saying, money can't buy class (or happiness for that matter), I'd also argue that it can't buy an in depth knowledge of the fashion industry. So... don't really worry about what other people think when it comes to such things, those who get snobby about fashion are lame. ^_^

Violetechoes, I can completely relate your feelings of being interested in fashion but also feeling out of place or not fitting in.

Not only do I not have the wealth to afford designer clothes, but I also have the issues of my body type as well. I am only 4 ft’9, so I don’t have the tall, bean-pole body that is considered desirable to wear high fashion. There are a lot of limitations on what works with someone who is as petite as I am. It is frustrating and sometimes I feel like fashion is impossible for me. Designers just don’t make clothes for someone who essentially “child-size” So yes, I have always felt a bit ”left out”. My dream has always been to start a high-fashion magazine for petites.

Just keep on enjoying fashion, and don’t worry about what anyone thinks! :flower:

My dream has always been to start a high-fashion magazine for petites.

Can you please do this :-)? I want to see more non-traditional models. Lanky is nice but I want to start seeing more women who don't look like pre-pubescent boys with real curves. Throw in some petites. Incidentally I know some super-powerful petite women. They may be small but command the room and the men in the boardroom. Love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there are plenty of people who like to eat but don't like to cook, so why not? :flower:

Well said! For example I work as a fashion photographer, I love the aesthetics of fashion photography, I love fashion shows, but I'm not really interested in dressing myself up that way. That does also feel a bit strange sometime :flower:

I have zero interest to buy high fashion stuff. I rather spend money on travelling etc.

I don't think it's a case of being Too Poor for High Fashion it's a case of connections, for instance Selfridges have their Designer Preview Sale on for Menswear and Womenswear and that's 50% off starting on Friday 5th December.. Much more bang for your buck.

That's how a lot of people buy their designer product.

I'm really interested in high fashion and I have designer pieces but they're all thrift finds/secondhand. Even if I had the money I couldn't justify the prices of these things new.

Anyway, I once went to a fashion event and was having a cheeky cig outside the venue. There was another woman doing the same, and she was wearing an amazing long black Tom Ford style gown, you know the one with the Lichtenstein-style sequin embellishments? And because somewhere in my stupid head nobody really spends £6000 on a dress I said to her 'I LOVE your dress, it looks just like Tom Ford!' and she looked at me like I was dirt and said 'It is Tom Ford'.

Funny thing is, that night I was wearing a detailed beaded gown I'd found on the high street. And I was talking to another girl having a cigarette, who complimented me on it. Because I can't keep my big mouth shut, I blurted out where I got it ('I know, I don't believe it!') and the girl said "Oh thank god! I saw you getting out the taxi and thought 'Uggh, that dress looks really expensive and I felt really underdressed!"

Designer fashion can be wonderful, and there are ways to get hold of it more cheaply (sample sales, The Outnet, thrift stores in affluent areas - I've seen Balenciaga, Margiela and Chloe in TK Maxx for a couple hundred pounds!) but a person could be dressed head to toe in Zara and a lot of people wouldn't know the difference. At the end of the day, it is just clothing. And wonderfully cut and styled pieces can turn up in really unexpected places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->