Understated Style

xing

Reaction score
What do you think understated style means?

Examples of understated style?

How is it different from basics, classic or minimalism? Is it different?

Is it something that is more projected by a personality or by the things you wear? (What I mean is for example, gamine style is something that is highly dependent on your personality. You can wear the same thing that Audrey Hepburn wears and end up being classic or plain or androgynous and not gamine-ish though I'm still trying to figure out why.)

Let's discuss!:D

understated just means the opposite of something like flashy or flamboyant...
quiet...

not wearing something that screams 'look at me'...

But there is a difference between understated and boring right?

jil sander/ calvin klein/ preen are very understated and they're everything but boring. their clothes are simple, feminine and powerful, but in a different way.

You can verge more towards minimalism or you can just be very basic which in some people's view could be boring, it's all about the cut.

Minimalism comes to mind, Calvin Klein or Jil Sander for example.
I think no matter how simple or solid a color one's outfit is, when it is tailored to fit your body, it makes it all the more interesting.

I love understated/minimalist style. I tend to purchase basic simple pieces like solid color v-neck shirts, trousers, blazers & then add some interest with color via belt, watch, sunglasses or shoes.

I also think understated style should evoke some mystery to oneself. Loose, yet still flattering, clothing or layers for example without showing the shape of one's body. Basically, looking effortless is the key.

Agree with the jjrodriguez!!

I think Kate Bosworth exemplifies "understated" style. and i dont find her boring at all.

I don't really associate understated style with minimalism.. I think understated can be quite intricate but never opulent in appearance, I think a lot of French actresses are understated in their style but not necessarily minimalistic.. one thing I do agree with jj is that understated never gives it all away, it shares a bit of you, maybe some quirkiness or mood or an evident interest or favoritism towards certain textures or shapes or colors or all of them but it's never revealing.. and, I also think the mystery is the kind you want to respect and appreciate it for what it is instead of discovering it, like it can happen with other styles that also play with it but keep leaving some sort of bread tail. Am I drifting too much now..? :lol:

of the modern, young crowd, I think Clémence Poésy has a lovely, understated style.. she always wears such simple, basic yet unique pieces and combines them in such a harmonious way. :heart:

I feel understated style is not just about the clothes you wear. It's about how you wear the clothes, the way in which you carry yourself. It's deceivingly simple and not something you can buy. Women with understated style possess an air of nonchalance and elusiveness.

French actresses like Léa Seydoux, Charlotte Gainsbourg and the aforementioned Clémence Poésy are a few good examples. Sofia Coppola, too.

dy0uww.jpg
e7zfd5.jpg

4ios50.jpg
xm3o93.jpg

thecelebritycity.com, zimbio.com, clemence-poesy.org

Dries Van Noten F/W 10.11 is another display of understated style. One month later and I still can't stop thinking about this collection. :heart:

1zyd548.jpg
2uxw75i.jpg

e14voi.jpg
aujxft.jpg

331q050.jpg
hs3mmv.jpg

style.com

I'm surprised this thread isn't flooded with replies. I want to share my opinion and tell me what you think.

1. Personally, understated style is looking your best and being chic. It means having the basics/classic items first before buying the latest trend. You're not a slave to trend but no snob to it either. You pick out what works for you and mix it with your current wardrobe. I associate it with neutral colors most off the time. But it can have color/s too as long as it compliments each other. I'd say maximum of 3 non-neutral color for your whole look mixed with neutrals when wearing separates. One pop of color is enough to make it interesting and not boring just like the example above with the orange gloves.

When it comes to accessories, I say no to monogram or obvious logos regardless of their price or who wears them. Subtle logos are ok. You nailed it when you get compliments for your bag or shoes even before they know the designer or brand.
For example, I know monogram canvas speedy is very much loved all over the world but I totally dislike them. On the other hand, I think the epi version especially the fawn is very classic despite knowing most people think the monogram canvas is the classic. I've seen a few people with the monogram canvas that looks so elegant but more often than not it just looks tacky to me.

2. I just come across this stylist a few months ago. Her name is Jessica de Ruiter. I first saw her on The Sartorialist. Here's her site http://www.jessicaderuiter.com/. Her take on fashion is a breath of fresh air to LA. :wink:

I love Clemence!

3. They all go hand in hand. To sum it all up,it's all about class and elegance without being uptight.

4. It is always how you wear it not what you wear. The Chanel chain bag is a real classic but at the same time a lot of people in Hollywood and on the street manage to make it look so cheap too.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to be considered understated or minimalist and not boring, one must focus on the shapes, the material. and the fit. Basically, you need to look like your tee was made specifically to fit your body and your tastes. It's all about not settling when you go to the store and being able to say no when the fit isn't perfect, a skill I'm trying to develop.

Since you don't have crazy patterns to attract everyone's attention, you need to make sure that the hem of the skirt falls at the perfect place, and that your leggings or pants aren't too baggy, long, or short. If you've got some atypical body proportions, the look is all the harder to pull off. As far as I'm concerned, I will always look super sloppy in a tee unfortunately.

Is it something that takes very beautiful/good looking people to pull off? I mean since the clothes are so simple, the person must really shine in order to not look sloppy/boring.

i actually think a lot of minimalism does not fall under understated. I find minimalism, especially those that focus a lot on cuts and shapes become more advant garde/theatrical than understated.

classicalbang: I really enjoy these looks that you posted. i really love freja's pants. the cut is really good. do you know what these are called? i'm also looking for something that is very soft and a dark rich blue in colour, so far no luck. side note, do you know who the model in the green trench is?

I was wondering if understated is harder to pull off for summer? because i realised that a large part of good understated style has to do with a good trench or a good coat or boots to pull the whole look together. what do you all think?

I'm surprised this thread isn't flooded with replies. I want to share my opinion and tell me what you think.

1. Personally, understated style is looking your best and being chic. It means having the basics/classic items first before buying the latest trend. You're not a slave to trend but no snob to it either. You pick out what works for you and mix it with your current wardrobe. I associate it with neutral colors most off the time. But it can have color/s too as long as it compliments each other. I'd say maximum of 3 non-neutral color for your whole look mixed with neutrals when wearing separates. One pop of color is enough to make it interesting and not boring just like the example above with the orange gloves.

When it comes to accessories, I say no to monogram or obvious logos regardless of their price or who wears them. Subtle logos are ok. You nailed it when you get compliments for your bag or shoes even before they know the designer or brand.
For example, I know monogram canvas speedy is very much loved all over the world but I totally dislike them. On the other hand, I think the epi version especially the fawn is very classic despite knowing most people think the monogram canvas is the classic. I've seen a few people with the monogram canvas that looks so elegant but more often than not it just looks tacky to me.

2. I just come across this stylist a few months ago. Her name is Jessica de Ruiter. I first saw her on The Sartorialist. Here's her site http://www.jessicaderuiter.com/. Her take on fashion is a breath of fresh air to LA. :wink:

I love Clemence!

3. They all go hand in hand. To sum it all up,it's all about class and elegance without being uptight.

4. It is always how you wear it not what you wear. The Chanel chain bag is a real classic but at the same time a lot of people in Hollywood and on the street manage to make it look so cheap too.

Thank you for introducing me to Jessica de Ruiter. I love most of her work. Very very nice. Where can I find more?

Hum .... another one who I think fits the molds of understated is the future Queen of England, Catherine ... her style is very very subtle. I dont get why people say she doesnt have one, imho she has a very quiet demeanor.

What about editrixes? Carla Sozzani? Who else?

The Duchess of Cambridge couldn't be far away from understated for me.. Charlize Theron is for me the Queen of understated style those days with Clemence Poesy in her golden years (ie pre GG).

To sum it all up,it's all about class and elegance without being uptight.
I totally agree

^I agree with you on DoC. Charlize Theron or Jane Birkin are good examples of understated elegance I think. Its the ones who can make the plain chic and interesting.

I really like this return to understated style. I think it makes getting dressed in the morning really easily. It's also nice to reject fast fashion and not have a cluttered messy wardrobe full of things you want to throw out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmozale
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->