• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

US Harper’s Bazaar May 2022 by Cass Bird, Josh Olins, Renell Medrano & Amy Troost

every model would have been filtered to the point of animation. That would have been something
I think Meisel has been doing this for a while now sans Franca with his post production...

Absolutely HATE the use of "redefining beauty" on the cover. Show don't tell me Samira. Also it's a little patronising to give Sora geisha-esque makeup for her cover and tout a redefinition being displayed considering the kind of beauty stereotype it perpetuates when pitted against the others.

^^^ Sora’s MU is more classic Korean, to be fair. It works for the story. She’s rather portrayed graphically evocative— going from this more demure traditional MU to a more 1940s femme-fatale one, that's all new for her. It works well. Solid shoot.

But the highlight is Jill's story. It's as gorgeous as the covershot; the leading spread is simply irresistable. To get two solid shoots is quite a treat for this rag. Just unfortunate that the lethargic art direction can't keep up with these great imageries. There are Wordpress blogs with stronger, sharper and more stylish typography, graphics design and layout than this.

(Poor Imaan just can’t seem to ever be matched with a competent photographer. Her story is awful. Her best shoot was with Emmanuelle’s Vogue. She needs Bink’s good fortune of always having the advantage of solid photographers knowing how to showcase her best, while she puts in the least of effort. Fabien/Karl/Imaan would be a potentially holy trinity in the making.)

Jill please, if you're reading this... do something about your hair, do something about your brows, do something about your expressions, just give us something fresh.

Flicking through this online, sometimes you can get an idea of what the import newsstand cover will be from what the library displays, but the cover shown is Sora's close-up shot, which looks more like a subscribers cover than a newsstand one. 166 pages. The amount of ads seems healthy enough.

Anyhow, all the covers seem to be included in a series, following on from the front page, then they're also shown all together on an intro page. They're not that good that I need to see them several times. The editor's letter opens with : "I wish we could have made 2,000 covers to represent our beauty issue".

A message to magazine editors everywhere: JUST MAKE ONE GOOD COVER. I'd say 'don't waste time making multiple half-hearted ones' but there's never the impression that much time goes into them. If effort is being made, that isn't being conveyed by the end result.

Harper's Bazaar seems to have a regular feature where two names talk with each other, this month it's Marilyn Minter and Michèle Lamy.

There's an advertorial section for Bazaar's Skincare Awards, and the few pages of the Beauty section seem to be very dull for what is... the Beauty issue?

The four cover stories, put together, is the sort of content that could finally make me buy my first issue of this Bazaar, but on balance, the issue is more a dirge than a source of inspiration. There's another editorial, the 10-pg High Contrast, but it's a dull dressed-down shoot of oversized clothes. The back page archive shot is Amber Valletta by Craig McDean from Dec 1998.

I want Carmen Dell'Orefice indeed, Lauren has been used sooooo much on multi covers over the years it's not even funny.

Here again Samira's Harper's Bazaar doesn't hold a candle to Glenda's. Everything is sooooo beige my gosh.
Only Sora's cover is ok-ish, the rest look like test-shots.
With so many models and the ones they got they could have done much much better.

The covers with Lauren, Imaan & Sora are fine & great. The Jill's terrible & bland, her pose... :blink:

SORA CHOI ON COMING INTO YOUR OWN
Photography:
Amy Troost
Styling: Virginie Benarroch
Hair: Esther Langham
Make-up: Mark Carrasquillo
Model: Sora Choi

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

IMAAN HAMMAM ON STAYING GROUNDED
Photography:
Renell Medrano
Styling: Marika-Ella Ames