US Vogue April 1, 1972 : Cher by Richard Avedon

would love to see all of her cover stories from the 70s if you got them @justaguy ,she was so fierce, Avedon did great job with her in the other issues she was featured,also i'd love to see the issue from 70s with Elizabeth Taylor, i think the cover photographer was Helmut Newton

would love to see all of her cover stories from the 70s if you got them @justaguy ,she was so fierce, Avedon did great job with her in the other issues she was featured,also i'd love to see the issue from 70s with Elizabeth Taylor, i think the cover photographer was Helmut Newton
I think I posted all of them on here but I might repost with the better images through the archive!! I think she had 5 covers but was also in countless editorials in the 60s & 70s.

Good News That Won't Wait for Summer...and Cher
Photo Richard Avedon
Model Cher
Hair Suga

vogue archive

The covershot is so nerdy LOL ...But these 2 are so gorgeous and the full-body shot would have been an all-out glamslam cover.

The covershot is so nerdy LOL ...But these 2 are so gorgeous and the full-body shot would have been an all-out glamslam cover.
Agreed. Much better cover options in her editorial.

^^^ Nerdy Cher is cute since she was just possessed of a painterly surreal beauty in the 70s and having her appear cheeky would be relatable. It’s so odd that all the covers for nearly 3 decades have always never deviated from close-cropped faces. I guess the strategy was that people passing by the newsstands would see a life-size face of a glamorous woman smiling at them and be attracted to buying the issue.

^^^ Nerdy Cher is cute since she was just possessed of a painterly surreal beauty in the 70s and having her appear cheeky would be relatable. It’s so odd that all the covers for nearly 3 decades have always never deviated from close-cropped faces. I guess the strategy was that people passing by the newsstands would see a life-size face of a glamorous woman smiling at them and be attracted to buying the issue.
I read an article on the close-ups and remember thinking the reasoning made perfect sense. Now I can't remember the content of the article. :lol: Either way, I am a huge fan of those close-ups. Cher's November '74 is outstanding as is her December '72 cover.

Last edited:
^^^ Even better was that period in the early/mid-2000 when the close-cropped face got even closer: Madonna’s Vogue Italia cover by Klein with just a third of her face obscured by a mass of hair; and my fav was Vogue Homme’s so-close cropped wet lips of some guy in deeply saturated colors. And it worked— I snatched that up right away without even looking through the contents...

I think I posted all of them on here but I might repost with the better images through the archive!! I think she had 5 covers but was also in countless editorials in the 60s & 70s.
it would be amazing if you do that! thank you !

People Are Talking About...
Photo Lord Snowdon
Subject Charles Chaplin

vogue archive

Movies, Cabaret, Jolting Movie Musicals Alive/Women in Revolt...
Photo Richard Avedon
Subjects Joel Grey, Candy Darling, Ryan O'Neil, Barbra Streisand

vogue archive

Charles Revson 'Ultima' II The Lotus Petal Look
Photo Unknown
Model Unknown

Estée Lauder
Photo Victor Skrebneski
Model Karen Graham

vogue archive

Revlon 'Moon Drops' The Thoroughbred Pinks
Photo Unknown