US Vogue February 1, 1972 : Karen Graham by David Bailey

iluvjeisa

clever ain't wise
Reaction score
Scanned some of the goodies from this mag. It's contents are far more enjoyable than the somewhat bizarre cover.

Cover: Karen Graham by David Bailey
Photographers: Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton
Models: Karen Graham, Donna Michell and a bunch of unknowns. Is the blonde in the Newton ed Gunilla Lindblad and another could be Pola?

Attachments

• american_vogue_february_1st_1972__karen_graham_david_baileysm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__karen_graham_david_baileysm.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Outtake from an editorial by Richard Avedon. Model may be Donna Mitchell.

Attachments

• american_vogue_february_1st_1972__richard_avedon2sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__richard_avedon2sm.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 41
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__richard_avedonsm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__richard_avedonsm.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 44
Most of the shots from a Newton editorial. Blonde is probably Gunilla Lindblad and the girl on the back of the truck could be the ill-fated Pola.

Attachments

• american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton5sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton5sm.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 37
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton4sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton4sm.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 51
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton3sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton3sm.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 38
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton2sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton2sm.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 56
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton1sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton1sm.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 56
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton6sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton6sm.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 56
  • american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton7sm.jpg
    american_vogue_february_1st_1972__newton7sm.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 46
ilj...

thanks for sharing these...
so great really!!!

was anna wintour ed in chief of this issue?

who are the other editors on the masthead please...
was polly mellen one of them?...

wow, some of this is really great! I would also love to see the masthead, but to answer Softgrey's question, Anna did not find her way to Vogue until the early 80's as far as I am aware, and was not EIC until 87ish??? Could be wrong...

my my my....iluvjeisa..i love this!!
helmut newton..:crush:
thank you for the superb scans luv! :flower::heart:

EIC: Grace Mirabella.
Editorial director: Alexander Liberman
Associate editor: Kate Lloyd, Carrie Donovan
Art director: Priscilla Peck
Consulting editor: Diana Vreeland

Senior fashion editors: Babs Simpson, Nicolas de Gunzberg
Fashion editors: Polly Allen Mellen, Gloria Moncur, Dorothea Elkon, Linda Frankel

There's more info, feel free to ask if there's anything more specific, I think I'll just scan the masthead next time, it's quite interesting that Diana V was still involved. :wink:

I love almost all Grace Mirabella's American Vogues until 1983, especially when they have Newton on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, this is great, so much of it looks so modern..

That was what first popped into my head too! It just looks so contemporary! Considering how widely reported it is that pre-Wintour Vogue was doudy, etc. I was really shocked at how cool these eds were. Not to mention how much we seem to have been reflecting on this moment over the last year...

Grace Mirabella lost her touch in 1983 and Vogue became very health centric, in a rather boring and pathetic way, but it should be understood in the context of AIDS which struck so many of the most gifted American designers and crew (Halston, Perry Ellis, Rudy Gernreich, Way Bandy, Bill King and so many others).

Anna Wintour got things back on track. I think it's the wrong track, but it was better than Grace Mirabella's latest efforts. Even if AW was the EIC in 1989, her influence became significant in 1986 or 87, while GM became less and less interested in fashion. Around that time, the two most powerful American fashionistas/artists died - Diana Vreeland and Andy Warhol (as far as I understand, a critic of AW, at least judging from his diaries, well, he seems to pity her, really), and that contributed, I think, to AW's supremacy.

Thank you very much,the second pic in post #3 is soo copied nowadays! :shifty:

Thanks Iluvjeisa,i had no idea DV was still invovled that is interesting fact,as is that Warhol disliked Wintour.^_^

iluvjeisa - pray tell - who is the ill fated pola on the back of the truck on post #3? What's her story? I'd love to hear the tale.

I don't know too much, just that she died of an overdose in the mid 70s right after her first Vogue and Cosmo covers came out. I've talked to someone who said they knew her....apparently Pola had a pretty troubled life. Her demise is described briefly in Bebe Buell's Rebel Heart - none too kindly - and since so little is know about Pola....it seems cruel to restate it when we only have the ugly side. I created a thread for her:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4307800#post4307800

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->